Wow. Bitcoin is almost $1,500

Page 70 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
It's still not that simple, there is a financial incentive to run your cards at their most efficient settings. Mining profitably, regardless of number of cards or operation size, depends on the miner correctly setting up their equipment and making sure that equipment is taken care of.

However I will concede two important facts related to mining that everyone should be aware of:
1. Cards used for mining will likely have diminished cooler lifespan, significantly so if run at 100%. This will not matter as much for coolers using quality ball bearing fans.

2. Cards not run in a climate controlled environment may well have humidity related issues, I'd personally avoid these. It should be easy to spot via corrosion on aluminum fins where the fans directly blow on them.

I've said it in multiple posts, but all my early bitcoin mining cards are still functional as far as I'm aware and have far outlasted their useful life.
Of those cards, I still have possession of 3x MSI Lightning AMD 6970s and 1x reference ATI 5870; they are still fine and would have served a new owner well had I sold them.

EDIT:

And for that matter where do we draw the line when criticizing people for using their cards for non gaming purposes? Do we also chastise the DC crowd when they sell off their equipment? Folks who use cards in mini render farms?
What about folks who've dabbled in all three like myself??

I used my 2x 290x Lightnings, with an overclock, to mine Monero and then Ethereum for a little while. I've been waiting to upgrade my gaming PC to a solid single GPU and then migrate these down to the homelab to run it without worrying about heating up my home office.

But after quite some time, I was able to dial in miner settings that reached peak mining capability (not necessarily peak power efficiency) with constant overclocks. I always ran it with that. And no cheeto fingers required. :p
I'd have to downclock or edit miner settings to deal with absolute power limitations (running up too high against the UPS limits, it would freak lol).

If/when I get back into mining I'm going to do it right: besides reusing these two GPUs from my gaming PC once I upgrade it, I'll probably end up buying some more GPUs specifically for the task. That or hop on the ASIC rig train on a rising currency, like SiaCoin or Decred (if they don't crash permanently, that is).

Reactions: Charlie22911

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
ETH under $600. VEN back to $3.50. These swings are nuts!
And they will either break or harden your resolve. The swings used to really worry me, but now I don't even blink. Just means it's a great time to buy more (if you have the funds to spare, which I unfortunately don't).

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
ETH under $600. VEN back to $3.50. These swings are nuts!
You don't even blink at this few weeks later.

I hardly check prices now. I know what I staked. And I'm not smart enough to day trade (almost nobody is).

So price fluctuations are meaningless, since I'm not taking any action anyway. (Neither selling or buying)

I just have an alert when VET breaks $7. Then 'll pay attention more.

pete6032

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2010
You don't even blink at this few weeks later.

I hardly check prices now. I know what I staked. And I'm not smart enough to day trade (almost nobody is).

So price fluctuations are meaningless, since I'm not taking any action anyway. (Neither selling or buying).

Same here, although it is appealing to think about how much lower my buy-in price would be using dollar cost averaging if I bought more right now.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
How you guys reconcile these 2 seemingly mutually exclusive thoughts: "Dollar cost averaging" vs "don't throw good money after bad". I mean, isn't it a 50/50 shot at being either as it relates to crypto?

Reactions: pete6032

momeNt

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2011
How you guys reconcile these 2 seemingly mutually exclusive thoughts: "Dollar cost averaging" vs "don't throw good money after bad". I mean, isn't it a 50/50 shot at being either as it relates to crypto?

I'm not sure I understand the question. If you hold the belief that any one of your investments is "bad money" - then you need to exit the position. DCA refers to an investment that is worth buying. DCA is basically saying, "nobody can time the market" so if you have $1,000 or even $100 per month that you would like to invest, do it as soon as you have it, do not save up larger amounts and attempt to time the market.

DCA is mitigating market timing risk, saving up money and attempting to time the market is purposely exposing yourself to market timing risk.

Good money after bad is whether or not you should exit the position entirely. So I don't think they are really that related.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
Well how can you tell you have "an investment worth buying" vs the investment being "bad money"? I mean I get it with stocks cuz you basically know Microsoft isn't going to go anywhere, but with Crypto...

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
Well how can you tell you have "an investment worth buying" vs the investment being "bad money"? I mean I get it with stocks cuz you basically know Microsoft isn't going to go anywhere, but with Crypto...
All coins have similar ranking and quality as a product.

VeChain is a legit company. Dogecoin is not. Both are crypto.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
All coins have similar ranking and quality as a product.

VeChain is a legit company. Dogecoin is not. Both are crypto.

I was actually thinking about this - isn't binance coin the most legit coin there since it has everyday economic use, ie paying binance fees?

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
I was actually thinking about this - isn't binance coin the most legit coin there since it has everyday economic use, ie paying binance fees?
On the opposite view, by that logic, it's the most useless coin because the end result is trading useless crypto.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
I still wouldn't touch VeChain. China is cracking down hard on crypto, and their development team can't speak English worth shit.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
I am wary of crypto/blockchain projects heavily based in China. Call me biased if you will. The managed nature of China's economy and the way the Chicoms have their tendrils in everything spooks me.

That being said, ANS/NEO has been stable enough for awhile, and anyone who bought in last year when it was ~$8 has made a mint off it since then. So not everything China is doomed to failure/investor disappointment.

Ripple (XRP) plummeted today to a low of $0.72 as cryptocurrencies across the board started the day in the red. The price is down 6.44 percent from the last 24 hours and the market cap currently stands at $28,298 billion. XRP is down from $1.15 on February 14, meaning month on month the coin has seen losses of more than $0.50. Follow other crypto trends

I'm sorry, but is that an ad?

Train

Lifer
Jun 22, 2000
www.bing.com
didn't someone do this with seti?
A famous AT forums member got busted running a distributed computing project (pretty sure it was RC5-64) on a bunch of gov computers way back in like 2001 or so. IIRC, He was dragged through court but ended up avoiding major fines or jail time. He did go full on insane shortly after though.

Reactions: brianmanahan

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
I still wouldn't touch VeChain. China is cracking down hard on crypto, and their development team can't speak English worth shit.
China isn't "cracking down hard" on crypto, they just want to control it and protect their people from the current ICO Scamworld.

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
A famous AT forums member got busted running a distributed computing project (pretty sure it was RC5-64) on a bunch of gov computers way back in like 2001 or so. IIRC, He was dragged through court but ended up avoiding major fines or jail time. He did go full on insane shortly after though.
I vaguely remember this. I remember reading this as a wee college kid working in a computer lab.

I was tempted to run it on my lab too. All for useless internet bragging rights to bunch of nobodies I never met.

Making 10/hr doing nothing was the best job i had.

Blackjack200

Lifer
May 28, 2007

I thought it was a university. IIRC he argued that since the DC program was only running on a screensaver he wasn't wasting power or CPU cycles. I don't know enough about DC to have an opinion, but I remember a bunch of poster here thought it was bullshit that they went after him that hard.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
They say if you enter P&N after midnight, some nights, you can still see him post.

ooooOoOoOoOOOooOoooooo...