Wow. Bitcoin is almost $1,500

Page 62 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
I sold at my original investments worth at $17k put that money back in my bank acct, sold the rest at $14k, bought back in at $9k. Gonna ride it up again. Not a lot of money's worth but it's more fun than trading stocks, lol.
RIP your tax accountant. Make sure he reports this correctly.

PastTense

Jan 31, 2014
Interesting new development:
A growing number of Coinbase customers are complaining that the cryptocurrency exchange withdrew unauthorized money out of their accounts. In some cases, this drained their linked bank accounts below zero, resulting in overdraft charges.

In a typical anecdote posted on Reddit, one user said they purchased Bitcoin, Ether, and Litecoin for a total of $300 on February 9th. A few days later, the transactions repeated five times for a total of $1,500, even though the user had not made any more purchases. That was enough to clear out this user’s bank account, they said, resulting in fees.

“My bank account went from very comfortable to negatives balance, not to mention extra $5 charges, and overdraft fees,” the user wrote. “As a result my rent check bounced, and my bank went further into negative for a NSF charge for $25. My landlord is not a nice person and is on my CASE and I have nothing to offer him. I am FREAKING OUT.”

Coinbase representatives have been responding to similar complaints on Reddit for about two weeks, but the volume of complaints seems to have spiked over the last 24 hours. Similar complaints have popped up on forums and Twitter.
https://www.theverge.com/2018/2/15/...tocurrency-bitcoin-ether-unauthorized-charges

Obviously cryptocurrency customers should either deal with a more reputable company or set up a separate banking account for their cryptocurrency transactions.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015

https://www.theverge.com/2018/2/15/...tocurrency-bitcoin-ether-unauthorized-charges

Obviously cryptocurrency customers should either deal with a more reputable company or set up a separate banking account for their cryptocurrency transactions.
To be fair, issues like this come up with payment processors on occasion. Similar thing hit Blizzard just a week or few ago with their new WoW expansion release, tons of people were getting multi-charged due to traffic/payment processor issues with whomever they were working with.
https://www.pcgamesn.com/world-of-w...r-azeroth-pre-order-payment-cancelled-charged

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
For anyone who's curious what a Blockchain development startup looks like, the Nimiq guys are doing a vlog on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJ1qu3KXwfmkGwBkU8F1jQg

Ah... if I was about 20 years younger, I would totally do something like this. Hanging out in Costa Rica, banging out code with my fellow brogrammers 12 hours a day, with the expectation that I'm going to become a crypto millionaire a few months down the road :)

Reactions: Crono

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001

The problem is that CoinBase is supposed to be one of the "reliable" crypto exchange houses.

Anybody keeping a balance of money or crypto at these places is insane. I must have seen a dozen of them suddenly fold in the past few years. Mt Gox and BTC-E are two of the more famous ones that failed, and I had accounts at both of those. No balances in them, thankfully!

Last edited:

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Bill Gates, speaks out, obliquely, against CC?

https://qz.com/1206184/bill-gates-warns-silicon-valley-not-to-be-the-new-microsoft/

He singled out payments as a sore spot: “The tech companies have to be … careful that they’re not trying to think their view is more important than the government’s view, or than the government being able to function in some key areas,” he said, noting the Valley’s penchant enthusiasm for “making financial transactions anonymous and invisible, and their view that even a clear mass-murdering criminal’s communication should never be available to the government.”

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
I don't see that as being specifically aimed at crypto. Only a few cryptos achieve anonymity. Looks to me like he's more taking a shot at Apple, at least with the latter statement.

Plus most crypto is coming from outside the Valley anyway.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
I don't see that as being specifically aimed at crypto. Only a few cryptos achieve anonymity. Looks to me like he's more taking a shot at Apple, at least with the latter statement.

Yeah, you'll probably never see Google or Apple release their own cryptocurrency, unless it was a joint program with the US government. They already have enough issues with government regulators to offer something that could be used for tax evasion or money laundering.

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005

Right, that wasn't really aimed at cryptocurrencies in general, though perhaps you could say it does involve cryptography; the discussion about communications not being available is squarely aimed at the whole encryption/backdoor debate between Silicon Valley (and computer scientists in general) and the US government, who would like a backdoor into everything regardless of what they really means in the end.
These companies are taking privacy very seriously, but they are also being a little adversarial to the government, and this can bring more heat. Not that I think they are wrong, and Bill Gates isn't exactly demonizing the concept, he just says that they need to tread carefully so as to not provoke the beast that is the government.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Yeah, you'll probably never see Google or Apple release their own cryptocurrency, unless it was a joint program with the US government. They already have enough issues with government regulators to offer something that could be used for tax evasion or money laundering.

Right, that wasn't really aimed at cryptocurrencies in general, though perhaps you could say it does involve cryptography; the discussion about communications not being available is squarely aimed at the whole encryption/backdoor debate between Silicon Valley (and computer scientists in general) and the US government, who would like a backdoor into everything regardless of what they really means in the end.
These companies are taking privacy very seriously, but they are also being a little adversarial to the government, and this can bring more heat. Not that I think they are wrong, and Bill Gates isn't exactly demonizing the concept, he just says that they need to tread carefully so as to not provoke the beast that is the government.

Also bear in mind that MS has allowed backdoors into their file encryption scheme since at least Win7. Gates wasn't directly involved in that decision per se, but he certainly wasn't averse to it (as indicated by the quote). Win10 is probably full of gub'ment backdoors.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
(Originally posted in the "How many cards do you have mining thread", and moved to a separate post here.)

I'm (relatively?) "poor", being on a fixed income (disability), and all-to-often spending my monthly check on "expensive toys", and not having "food and gas money" for the month. That's where the mining comes in. It's kind of like an "adult allowance", every few days, I get $20-35 deposited in my bank account, and I have to manage it, and live off of it, right now. (Yes, I need to manage my finances better, I know that.)

So for me, mining is a lifesaver, relatively-speaking. It gives me a (small) extra monthly income, that becomes my daily or discretionary spending account. Now if only I could control my "ebay urges" better. Tech Addiction, indeed.

Don't hate miners. It could be YOU some day that's stuck in poor-ville, mining to make ends meet.

Reactions: Charmonium

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
Down 20% at the lowest dip few weeks ago
Down 3% last week
Up 51% this week now.

You can probably use above and deduce my average purchase price and what coins I hold.

But then I probably wrote the answers already

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
is there an offline wallet for vechain?
You can store it in EC20 wallet or MyEtherWallet.

But rebranding is coming, Vechain will be on its own foundation, no longer tied to Ethereum. That means they're gonna have their own wallet soon this year, probably before end of summer.

Keep reading /r/vechain.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
You can store it in EC20 wallet or MyEtherWallet.

But rebranding is coming, Vechain will be on its own foundation, no longer tied to Ethereum. That means they're gonna have their own wallet soon this year, probably before end of summer.

Keep reading /r/vechain.

Reading the subreddit reminds me of reading /r/dogecoin a few years ago. It’s filled with a bunch of kids convinced that particular flavor of crypto was going to the moon :)

At least of few of them seem to realize that might be a pump and dump scam going on with the pricing, so I’ll give them credit for that.

Reactions: Crono

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
Reading the subreddit reminds me of reading /r/dogecoin a few years ago. It’s filled with a bunch of kids convinced that particular flavor of crypto was going to the moon :)

At least of few of them seem to realize that might be a pump and dump scam going on with the pricing, so I’ll give them credit for that.
It's completely normal across ALL altcoin subreddits that their coins are going to the moon.