Wow, absolutely overloaded with the options for a slim, fast, $200 P&S.

fuzzybabybunny

Moderator<br>Digital & Video Cameras
Jan 2, 2006
I've never been good at recommending general consumer level cameras. A friend wants a "small, slim, fast, takes good pics, and under $200" digicam.

I have no idea. I'd also like to add wide angle in the list too. By fast I assume she means fast bootup, focus, shutter lag, and shot to shot time.

Uhhhh.... I recommended her a Sony WX1

Last edited:

shocksyde

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2001
People ask me all the time for recommendations. If they're not asking about DSLRs from Nikon or Canon, I'm worthless.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
are any of them fast? i guess some are slower than others.

anyway, no one ever got fired for recommending a canon (or a panasonic).

in general
nikon doesn't care about compact cameras
kodak has a century of experience making crappy cameras and they show no signs of changing
samsung isn't really there
sonys are nice
GE is rebadging crap they bought at fire sale in western china
casio has some very interesting products. maybe by fast s/he means many FPS. casio is the way to go there.
pentax is kinda meh for compacts
olympus has some nicely spec'ced compacts but i think they fall behind canosonic in IQ.

Last edited:

radioouman

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 2002
Fuji used to make some really nice P&S cameras a few years ago. The F series cameras come to mind. I have no idea what they are doing now.

BigSmooth

Lifer
Aug 18, 2000
You forgot Fuji - they had a couple of big hits with the F30 and F31fd back in the day because they had low-light performance well ahead of their time. The competition has largely caught up in that regard but Fuji does still make some solid compacts. The F200EXR and then the F70EXR were both well received, and the just released F80EXR looks very interesting.

Edit: yeah, what he said ^^^ :)

Last edited:

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Canon SD780. Same size as an iPhone, super portable & slim, and also takes great 720p video.

slashbinslashbash

Golden Member
Feb 29, 2004
wait what... same size as an iphone? the iphone is huge compared to this. at least, from the front anyway.

Yeah. The 780 is more comparable in size to a folded-up RAZR. If you set the camera upright and set the RAZR up on its side next to it, the comparison is:

SD780 is quite a bit narrower from left to right... if you look only at the "lid" or flip-up part of the RAZR, that's about the right dimension
Almost exactly the same height
SD780 is maybe a millimeter or two thicker, but it doesn't feel like it because of the rounded corners

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Yeah. The 780 is more comparable in size to a folded-up RAZR. If you set the camera upright and set the RAZR up on its side next to it, the comparison is:

SD780 is quite a bit narrower from left to right... if you look only at the "lid" or flip-up part of the RAZR, that's about the right dimension
Almost exactly the same height
SD780 is maybe a millimeter or two thicker, but it doesn't feel like it because of the rounded corners

I have an SX200. It's a brick compared to the SD780 :D