Wow, 12` drop from switching hsf position.

phoeneous

Aug 21, 2003
So, I asked which way my hsf should face. Most of you said it should be blowing air onto the cpu instead sucking the air away. Here are the temps measured by mbm5:

hsf blowing onto cpu: 134`f

hsf sucking air away from cpu: 122`f

Surprised?

DarkMask

Jul 24, 2002
i havent either... i tried it out once and go tthe opposite results (except with t-bird 1.4 ghz)

KifArU

Oct 9, 1999
I have seen this kind of change once.
This was a case with the PSU in front of the mainboard and a fan sucking out the air about 1 cm (0.4 inch) away from the HSF.

Changing the fan direction made a big difference here.

Dustswirl

May 30, 2002
i guess there was too much turbulence in you case phoeneous
a fan sucking air from the cpu and pushing it away is a good setup if you have some good fans sucking hot air out of the case
(i use the same setup but with my cpufan ducted all the way out with another fan with high negative pressure helping it on the other end MBM5 give 106F on diode temp, HS is selfmade [Ag-Cu])

phoeneous

Aug 21, 2003
Ya know, Im not exactly sure what heatsink it is :confused: I bought it about a year ago from Compusa. I switched out the 60mm fan for an 80mm coolmax running at about 2600rpm. Im sure I can bring the temp down even more because my thermal grease is sloppy and dry.

Match

May 28, 2001
That's a big temp difference. You had the same load on the cpu both times, right? Like you said, whatever works best.

Jan 31, 2002
It all depends on case airflow. If there's an exhaust fan directly fighting the CPU fan for air, it's not going to turn out well. Reversing the CPU fan flow will let the air flow more freely.

- M4H