Wouldn't it be Great if Ron Paul won Iowa?

TalonStrike

Nov 5, 2010
I think it would be. He finished in a close second place in the Iowa straw poll, and the media continues to refuse to ignore that he exists at all. The media acts like its a forgone conclusion that Bachmann will win Iowa. Ron Paul winning Iowa would shut them up.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
We might have to bring out that ban on Ron Paul threads again...

The guy is in 4th place in the polls. He aint going to win Iowa.

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002
Wouldn't make any difference is he won Iowa or not. He'd never win the nomination, the powers that be (the real leaders of the GOP) wouldn't allow it to happen.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
Wouldn't make any difference is he won Iowa or not. He'd never win the nomination, the powers that be (the real leaders of the GOP) wouldn't allow it to happen.

You mean big business? I'd think they'd welcome a Libertarian. Decreased regulation, protectionism and more profit for great justice!

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002
You mean big business? I'd think they'd welcome a Libertarian. Decreased regulation, protectionism and more profit for great justice!

No, I mean the status quo leaders that want to keep things as they are. They don't want RP cutting the military, they want the Religous Right vote as well. RP won't get them that and they need that to have any chance to win.

momeNt

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2011

Not at all what would happen under Paul. The only thing he would protect is their right to fail under the weight of their bad business decisions.

UberNeuman

Lifer
Nov 4, 1999
Wouldn't it be Great when you were finished having sex with your girlfriend she'd turn into a cold beer?

\welcome to the 'make a wish' thread....

Brigandier

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2008
Wouldn't it be Great when you were finished having sex with your girlfriend she'd turn into a cold beer?

\welcome to the 'make a wish' thread....

Why would I want my penis stuck in a can/bottle, sounds like it'd hurt quite a bit...

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
I think it would be. He finished in a close second place in the Iowa straw poll, and the media continues to refuse to ignore that he exists at all. The media acts like its a forgone conclusion that Bachmann will win Iowa. Ron Paul winning Iowa would shut them up.

Ron Paul has a fervent (but small) group of supporters, but it doesn't translate into votes for his presidential runs... him winning a straw poll means nothing.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
Not at all what would happen under Paul. The only thing he would protect is their right to fail under the weight of their bad business decisions.

I'm not saying it would work, I'm saying from a business perspective RP should look pretty attractive.

frostedflakes

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2005
Would have been amusing to watch the media squirm and downplay the significance of the straw poll had he came out on top.

But to some extent the straw poll is irrelevant. There's a big difference between rallying your hardcore supporters to go out and vote in a straw poll and gaining the support of a large number of Americans.

With respect to business, I'd hope small and medium business would embrace Ron Paul, because he's one of the only candidates that believes in truly free markets (i.e. no favors for wealthy, politically-connected corporations). Large corporations are far too accustomed to buying influence in Washington, so I don't see them supporting a candidate that would want to put an end to that. He would not, for example, support regulation like CPSIA, which does more to drive Mattel's smaller competitors out of business than keep children's toys safe.

edit: Also Ron Paul does not endorse protectionism.

Last edited:

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Great? How? Why?

The guy's still not electable on the national level. He does have some good things to say, but overall, he's something of a nutcase. (kind of like Ross Perot)

Carmen813

Diamond Member
May 18, 2007
Entertaining watching the tea party folks bash the guy who started it. Well, back when it wasn't just a cover for right wing statism.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
So you are for silencing others if you don't care for what they have to say? Got it :thumbsdown:

Nothing wrong with that. Craig has agreed that our country would be better off if Republicans were banned and only democrats were allowed by law to govern.

Both sides increasingly think the same way, but while moving towards separate goals.