Would you vote for a President who was previously divorced?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

seemingly random

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2007
Originally posted by: winnar111
Originally posted by: CallMeJoe
Reagan.
OK, you've convinced me. No divorced presidents if it prevents a repeat of that mistake.

What, cleaning up the Carter stagflation?
Stagflation was created by nixon price and wage controls.

If carter is to be slammed, it should be for him bringing religion into national politics.

CallMeJoe

Diamond Member
Jul 30, 2004
Reagan.
OK, you've convinced me. No divorced presidents if it prevents a repeat of that mistake.
What, cleaning up the Nixon/Ford stagflation?
Corrected your comment.

Cut-and-Run Ronnie? Record Deficit Ronnie? "I don't think I sold arms illegally to Iran, but the evidence says otherwise so I'll deflect responsibility" Reagan? Head of the most corrupt administration since Warren G. Harding Reagan? The Great Prevaricator? That Ronald Reagan?

winnar111

Banned
Mar 10, 2008
Reagan.
Corrected your comment.

Cut-and-Run Ronnie? Record Deficit Ronnie? "I don't think I sold arms illegally to Iran, but the evidence says otherwise so I'll deflect responsibility" Reagan? Head of the most corrupt administration since Warren G. Harding Reagan? The Great Prevaricator? That Ronald Reagan?

Wait, is that CallMeJoe putting up the equivalent of a 'blame Clinton' moment that they have constantly ridiculed over the past 8 years? By the way, both inflation and unemployment were much higher in 1980 than they were in 1976, or today, for that matter.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
the world is an imperfect place. marriages fail and presidents are people subject to moral failings as well.

neither a failed marriage nor an errant moral failing disqualifies someone for the office, imo.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
I agree that marriage and martial fidelity are factors, but they are also highly situational. Even if the politician in the pair is perfect, it still takes two to make it and one to break it. I found it a virtue that Gerald Ford stuck by his wife, I may have not been very happy with a Nancy Reagan, but it was clear that second marriage was a lasting one. We have had many first ladies in the white house, and maybe the first outstanding one was Dolly Madison. And some day we may have that first man. Judge not lest ye be judged is the best advice I can give.

CallMeJoe

Diamond Member
Jul 30, 2004
Reagan.
Corrected your comment.

Wait, is that CallMeJoe putting up the equivalent of a 'blame Clinton' moment that they have constantly ridiculed over the past 8 years? By the way, both inflation and unemployment were much higher in 1980 than they were in 1976, or today, for that matter.
When have I ever denied that a president's policies affect his successor's administration? I agree that the economic slow down that W faced early in his administration started late in the Clinton administration. You'll have to admit it's kind of lame to keep blaming Clinton in the waning days of W's second term, though.

I also find it telling that you can't dispute the rest of my post...

woodie1

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2000
Originally posted by: seemingly random
Originally posted by: woodie1
Originally posted by: jpeyton
Yes I would vote, but I won't vote for someone who cheated on their previous wife like McCain did.

Speaking of cheating, did you vote for Slick Willy?
Not that I defend marital infidelity, but don't you feel a bit trite repeating this? like a discarded tool?

Not in the least, thank you very much.
He brought up cheating.
Ok. Why didn't you just ask him if he voted for clinton then? There is a shelf life for political slogans and using one which is out of date makes the speaker sound bitter and out of touch.

Just saying...

Then color me bitter and out of touch. The kid knew what I meant. Or in other words, I made my point!

seemingly random

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2007
Since we're speculating, how about spousal abuse? If there's just brusing? If one bone was broken? How about three broken bones?

woodie1

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2000
Since we're speculating, how about spousal abuse? If there's just brusing? If one bone was broken? How about three broken bones?

Which spouse is abusing the other? ;)

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004

that depends -- did she burn dinner, iron shirts badly, or in any other way "have it coming"? ;)

seemingly random

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2007

Which spouse is abusing the other? ;)
I left it vague on purpose. It might seem silly but what the hell...

I guess I'm searching for any domestic problems that might disqualify a candidate. The next can of worms would be how to judge the magnitude of it.

seemingly random

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2007
Originally posted by: loki8481

that depends -- did she burn dinner, iron shirts badly, or in any other way "have it coming"? ;)
Exactly. The candidate would probably get votes from those that thought "the bitch deserved it" and "I like someone that takes care of business".

Jun 26, 2007
Any man who abuses a woman in any way should be disqualified from life.

We could use running targets in practice back home.