Would you use lenses without filters?

GoingUp

Lifer
Jul 31, 2002
So heres the scoop.

God bless B&H. My Canon 40D, 70-200mm f2.8IS, 17-55mm f2.8 IS and 50mm f1.8 are all coming tomorrow.

My B+W filters are coming from Hong Kong and won't be here for another week or so.

I really want to take this thing out, but I'm worried about potentially damaging a lens before I can throw a filter on the end of them.

Thoughts?

I will have a filter for my 50mm f1.8 so I'll probably just tool around with that.

soydios

Platinum Member
Mar 12, 2006
Be gentle with it.

There are actually times when removing a filter is advised, usually to prevent flare or ghosting.

BuckNaked

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I don't use a filter unless the situation calls for it... except for my 500mm F4 which always has the drop in filter in place....

Dec 10, 2005
I always use the lens hood. The only filter I own is a 67mm circular polarizer and that is only used sometimes.

fuzzybabybunny

Moderator<br>Digital & Video Cameras
Jan 2, 2006
Always use the lens hood when shooting. The lens hood will provide more than enough protection. I never use filters unless I absolutely have to, and I'm pretty rough with my gear. The glass and coatings on all my lenses are still absolutely pristine. Can't say that for the bodies though.

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
Originally posted by: fuzzybabybunny
Always use the lens hood when shooting. The lens hood will provide more than enough protection. I never use filters unless I absolutely have to, and I'm pretty rough with my gear. The glass and coatings on all my lenses are still absolutely pristine. Can't say that for the bodies though.

Except if your this poor fellow!

But I rarely uses filters as well. I use a tamron if I am going to be walking around taking pcitures casually. Then I might use the filter.

When I use my L glass I don't use a filter, I am just very careful. I put the caps back on the lens immediately when I am done shooting. Haven't scratched a lens yet.

randomlinh

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
linh.wordpress.com
I do most of the time. I find I get a lot of liquid onto my glass somehow. well, more like random spots. And I'd rather continually clean the filter than the actual glass. I haven't found a really good way of doing it actually...

GoingUp

Lifer
Jul 31, 2002
Well I see my camera is out for delivery but not the lenses. @#$#(*&$#@$)_(!@#)@*!(&##%)*(&#@% Theyre scheduled to be delivered today, hopefully I get them.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
i hadn't, but i picked some up. don't have one for the 50 f/1.8, but that lens is so inexpensive that a nice filter is more.

need to do some tests to see how the corner shading on the 10-20 is with the filter. i took that lens and the camera to the beach, and then about 100 feet out into the ocean, with no protection. :)

Jawo

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2005
Originally posted by: ElFenix
i hadn't, but i picked some up. don't have one for the 50 f/1.8, but that lens is so inexpensive that a nice filter is more.

need to do some tests to see how the corner shading on the 10-20 is with the filter. i took that lens and the camera to the beach, and then about 100 feet out into the ocean, with no protection. :)

Damn, you're quite trusting of the ocean. I'm assuming you went out on a sand bar. after reading about FBB's story of getting saltwater into their camera, I'm a little hesitant to take it into the water.

Triumph

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I rarely ever use my filters. I have a habit of putting the cap back on right after I take a few shots. I mean, I don't want to lose the cap and I don't want to carry it either, so I might as well put it back on.

Plus I haven't seen much of an image difference with my UV or polarizer filters.