Would you take "Fly At Your Own Risk Airlines"?

DangerAardvark

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2004
Inspired by Bill Maher's latest HBO special.

Would you fly on an airline which required you to sign a disclaimer before boarding exempting them from liability, and in return they relax security back to pre-9/11 standards? Hell, they even do away with a lot of those too, like allowing smoking in certain sections or flights.

This is assuming this is all legal.

minendo

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2001
I'm a smoker and I would never get on a flight that allows smoking. As for relaxed security, I could not care either way.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
I can deal with taking my shoes off. I don't think I've ever spent more than 15 minutes going through security. More like 5 minutes usually.

minendo

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2001
Originally posted by: mugs
I can deal with taking my shoes off. I don't think I've ever spent more than 15 minutes going through security. More like 5 minutes usually.
What airports have you been through? I've spent over an hour a few times at Ohare.

Acanthus

Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
ostif.org
Originally posted by: minendo
What airports have you been through? I've spent over an hour a few times at Ohare.

Last 2 times i went through O'hare and Cinncinatti (sp?) it was less than 5 mins.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003

I fly out of Newark normally, JFK or Philadelphia once or twice. Usually fly to DFW or Kahului (Maui), also Las Vegas and Minneapolis once each. I'm not a frequent flyer, but I've been on a good variety of flights - morning, mid-day, afternoon, evening, weekday, weekend, etc.

minendo

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2001

I fly out of Newark normally, JFK or Philadelphia once or twice. Usually fly to DFW or Kahului (Maui), also Las Vegas and Minneapolis once each. I'm not a frequent flyer, but I've been on a good variety of flights - morning, mid-day, afternoon, evening, weekday, weekend, etc.

The early flights out of Ohare always seem to get me.

foghorn67

Lifer
Jan 3, 2006

I haven't been part of the dreaded security nightmares either.
I also carry tons of camera gear and gadgets. Laptop, stupid blackberrydamnitallihatethatthingthanksstupidjob, cell phone, mp3 player.

eLiu

Diamond Member
Jun 4, 2001
Smoking? Hell no. I can't stand the smell of someone smoking nor can I stand the odor that seeps into their stuff.

Though I don't see anything wrong with the enclosed space... airplanes recycle air much more often than your average home or building. There's an fairly (overly...) elaborate bleed-air system that pipes air in from the engine intakes on most airliners. Some models have systems that don't draw from the engines.

Relaxed secuirty? Sure, especially if it comes at a lower cost (fewer employees should in theory mean some savings for the consumer...) These days I fly from/to college from home (RDU--raleigh/durham in NC to BOS--logan in Boston). The security really hasn't annoyed me yet. I'm currently attributing that to always wearing a MIT t-shirt when I travel... I'm sure it's unrelated, but the trend is yet unbroken, lol. Taking off my shoes is OK, and I typically don't travel with liquids, so that hasn't gotten to me either. Besides the shoes, flying is just like I remember pre-9/11 (when I mostly flew intl to Taiwan).

DangerAardvark

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2004
Most people seem hung up on the smoking thing, but the main idea is relaxed security and being able to take anything short of a gun in carry-on.

daniel1113

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2003
I think all the airlines should be able to make their own policies. I think that covers about everything.

bctbct

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2005
Originally posted by: DangerAardvark
Most people seem hung up on the smoking thing, but the main idea is relaxed security and being able to take anything short of a gun in carry-on.

Funny, people hate smoking so much they would rather be on a plane with a bomb :)

pulse8

Lifer
May 3, 2000
Originally posted by: bctbct

Funny, people hate smoking so much they would rather be on a plane with a bomb :)

When was the last american flight that was blown up by a terrorist bomb?

homercles337

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2004

You think security has been ramped up since 9/11? Ha! Thats laughable. :laugh:

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006

Would you fly on an airline which required you to sign a disclaimer before boarding exempting them from liability, and in return they relax security back to pre-9/11 standards? Hell, they even do away with a lot of those too, like allowing smoking in certain sections or flights.

Absolutely. If anyone thinks the "ramped up" security is making them any safer on an airplane then they have been fooled.

Evadman

Administrator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Feb 18, 2001
just pay 200 bucks for clearpass. No security lines, no searches, no xray. So good.

Feb 19, 2001
No smoking. IF you want me to return to pre 9/11 security you better be giving me like 60% off or something... maybe more. I'd do it. It's just that post 9/11 security isn't exactly a nightmare for me so I don't really gain anything with pre 9/11 security unless you make it cheap as hell for me to fly.

Originally posted by: Darwin333

Absolutely. If anyone thinks the "ramped up" security is making them any safer on an airplane then they have been fooled.

Quite wrong. There's more screening going on and if you think you're only less safe with post 9/11 security, please show me how that is true. I think what you mean is is the security difference like night and day? Probably not, but are you safer post 9/11? Sure. If anything the days right after 9/11 are the safest to fly, not before.

Originally posted by: bctbct

Major US Airports had bomb detection scanners installed after the 1996 Olympics. I don't think you could bring on anything on your check-in baggage. I think post 9/11 just made those machines more widespread and then incorporated people opening your bags up (no locks allowed)

jupiter57

Diamond Member
Nov 18, 2001
Airlines? Meh.
I "Fly at your own REAL RISK every time I take the stick!
That's why I really hate to turn down people when they ask me to go up.
'Lil brother alway gets PP seat though, He could get us down if something happens to me.

DangerAardvark

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2004
Originally posted by: FoBoT
no

and Maher is an idiot

And you're a trite idiot. At least he's a funny idiot. I don't agree with him on some things, but who cares? He's a comic first and a political commentator second.

You remember comedy right? The realm of hyperbole and sarcasm? Comedians wield words like a sword, so when they make a political point, they make it hard.