Would you send your parents to an old folks home...

jinduy

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2002
if the other option was for them to live with you until the end of their days?

zimu

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2001
i don't think they'd want to. i can picture them at home with a nurse in the far future.

zimu

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2001
i don't think they'd want to. i can picture them at home with a nurse in the far future.

MithShrike

Diamond Member
May 5, 2002
I couldn't stand having my mom living with me. Can't stand living with her now. Just need the $$$ to move out. Slowly getting there.

Dragnov

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2001
Er, well in most asian cultures the parents live off on their own...
Child is supposed to pay for everything though and you're supposed to visit and such

SherEPunjab

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2002
here is my thinking: they took care of me, they raised me, they changed my diapers. i can either put them in a nursing home and pay for that, or hire a full time or part time nurse and build a big house and they live with me and play and supervise their grandkids when the time comes. I choose the latter. I will trust very few people to babysit my children when they come, and I will trust very few people to take care of my parents when they get old. I, for one, do not trust nursing homes. Didn't you guys see Happy Gilmore (j/j).

Gooberlx2

Lifer
May 4, 2001
We put my gramps in a home when it became apparent that he needed full-time care. But the atmosphere was just so downtrodden with death. Illness was everywhere and many people were disgruntled. Patrons are dealing with the fact that they'll die at some point in the near-er future and/or might only be half-sane anymore and basically vent off at the workers. (mad props to care staff people, as I've had several friends who do that and they always come home with multitudes of horror stories....not mention any bonds they do develop with their "favorites" that get shattered when they die).

So anyway, yeah....we decided to not put my grams in a home...even in her last days.

It's a tricky question though.....some people just can't care for someone all the time, and can't afford to hire full-time in-home help. And so then, at the risk of seeming like an uncaring family member, you may have to decide to put that person into a home. There's no doubt in my mind that homes are about the last place on earth I would want to be. Death, boredom, loneliness. But sometimes they're also the last resort.

...personally I think I'll choose to forego full-time care when/if I get to the point where I can't do remedial things anymore, and probably die a happier person for it.

but to have to make that decision for someone else.....I can't imagine having been in my dad's shoes.

GalvanizedYankee

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2003
My sister and I have been taking care of our mother for 3 years. That includes, bathing, feeding and yes,
Depends.

Ten years ago I was actively involved as my father wasted away with cancer.

I have a much deeper appreciation for life as a result. Some call it unconditional love :sun:

SherEPunjab

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2002
Originally posted by: galvanizedyankee
My sister and I have been taking care of our mother for 3 years. That includes, bathing, feeding and yes,
Depends.

Ten years ago I was actively involved as my father wasted away with cancer.

I have a much deeper appreciation for life as a result. Some call it unconditional love :sun:

:beer::beer::beer: this drinks on me*

*besides, its free. :D