Would you Limit Yourself to 100 watts ...

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Originally posted by: sierrita
Originally posted by: TastesLikeChicken
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
"Come, you who are blessed by my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world; for I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, I was naked and you gave me clothing, I was sick and you took care of me, I was in prison and you visited me... Truly I tell you, just as you did it to the least of these who are members of my family, you did it to me." (Matthew 25: 34-40)

Good, however; that's for people who care about their eternal soul, not selfish pricks who don't give a shit about people in an overcrowded 3rd world nation, especially one that has taken so many American jobs.
Wouldn't using "caring for your eternal soul" as your motivation make one a selfish prick too? Or is it not selfish to care about your eternal soul?

Ya think?
Ask Jesus or Mohamed or Sri Krishna if caring about one's own eternal soul makes one a selfish prick.
I don't tend to see them hanging around. You wouldn't happen to have their cell number, would you?

Try Jesus at Et Cum Spirit 2-2-0.

If he's not there, try his other line...BR-549

walkur

May 1, 2001
Not reading all posts, just reponding to the OP

NO, i'm too selfish for that.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Originally posted by: piasabird
If India has enough money to make a nuclear bomb and build helicopters, then they can afford to generate power. Electricity is of limited use to people without plumbing that can not afford to buy a radio or a computer.
You are also avoiding the question. Instead of India, perhaps picture an incredibly poor family in an incredibly poor country. By using more than 100 W YOU ALONE, for this question, are dooming the family, including two young kids, to no water so that they DIE!!!

IGBT

Lifer
Jul 16, 2001
Originally posted by: alchemize
Why do I need to solve the problem that Indians have overpopulated their country?

..it's comming. the liberals believe in equal distribution of poverty and misery. they'll use the global warming racket to force you to roll back your life style. Their anti prosperity.

Andyb23

Oct 27, 2006
Why is this even a question? Did India ask for this? I read Indian news a lot and I've never heard this before.

Anyways I think India needs some hardcore Republicans in power. Yea you heard me.

Theres so much affirmative action and special laws for different people in that country that you can never get anything done.

Sep 12, 2004
Originally posted by: BoomerD
"Come, you who are blessed by my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world; for I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, I was naked and you gave me clothing, I was sick and you took care of me, I was in prison and you visited me... Truly I tell you, just as you did it to the least of these who are members of my family, you did it to me." (Matthew 25: 34-40)

Good, however; that's for people who care about their eternal soul, not selfish pricks who don't give a shit about people in an overcrowded 3rd world nation, especially one that has taken so many American jobs.
Wouldn't using "caring for your eternal soul" as your motivation make one a selfish prick too? Or is it not selfish to care about your eternal soul?

Ya think?
Ask Jesus or Mohamed or Sri Krishna if caring about one's own eternal soul makes one a selfish prick.
I don't tend to see them hanging around. You wouldn't happen to have their cell number, would you?

Try Jesus at Et Cum Spirit 2-2-0.

If he's not there, try his other line...BR-549
You'd think it'd be a toll-free call.

feralkid

Lifer
Jan 28, 2002
Originally posted by: Andyb23

Theres so much affirmative action and special laws for different people in that country that you can never get anything done.

Yes, it's called "Democracy".

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001

"Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more important than food, and the body more important than clothes? Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?
"And why do you worry about clothes? See how the lilies of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. f that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you, O you of little faith? So do not worry, saying, 'What shall we eat?' or 'What shall we drink?' or 'What shall we wear?' For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own."{Matthew 6:25-34)
"If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him." (James 1:5)

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
My electricity use has nothing to do with poor people in India. I dont run the government of India. Even If I donated money it would not help. Most of it would probably be wasted by their corrupt government. This is an internal problem for India. Let Asia and Europe take care of India since they are the ones that helped to screw it up. We can not and should not try to tell other countries how to run their country. India has the ability to run its own affairs, it just chooses to ignore the poor. So we should ignore India. As long as India is not attacking us or their neighbors we should stay out of their business. The United States is not the Nanny for the entire world, and can not help people that dont want our help. Pouring money on the problem will not solve it. I work for what I have let the people in India work for what they want.

How does my electricity usage affect India?

Let them buy some solar panels.

Did you know there is a program in India for Farmers to use solar panels to pump water to their fields? Their government will subsidise this and help them. You would know this if you were not a brainwashed liberal.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Here is an example of the kind of things my donated money is going to:

http://www.lds.org/library/pag...,6212-1-3216-1,00.html

The LDS Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is actively working in Africa and India to bring Water to people. It is an ongoing project funded by chruch donations. I have found that funds donated by churches tend to be stretched farther than other funds or government backed organizations.

Our church is founded on a pricipal of a 10% tithe. Give one dollar in ten that you make to the church and also to fast one day every month and donate the money for one good meal to the church to help the poor.

I find this to be a worthy effort on my part to help the poor, the needy, and people who suffer from disasters around the world, that they can not really control. Many of the people that do this work volunteer their time and money some as missionaries just to help people because it is the right thing to do. I can not afford to go to India to Help, but I can afford to help someone else get there and do it for me.

What have you done for India?

Millions of people are tithing 10% of their income to church organizations that do a very good job at helping people. Maybe you could donate 10% of all you make to the Red Cross or other international organizations such as feed the children or Unicef.

Have you done any good in the world today?

If everyone donated 10% the world would have over-abundance of food everywhere.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
A lot of you would make good politicians. Answer the question by refashioning the question first. It's a pretty simple question.

AnitaPeterson

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2001
Originally posted by: Jeff7
Is this to limit total power use to 100 watts, or reduce total power use by 100 watts?

100W wouldn't even power a small refrigerator.

I have the same question...

Anyone could (and SHOULD) replace their 100W bulbs with low-consumption CFL devices - the savings are quite substantial:
http://www.greenischeap.com/wp...oads/2006/09/1bulb.gif

Check this link out as well:
http://www.fastcompany.com/mag...8/open_lightbulbs.html

But reducing the ENTIRE household consumption to 100W is utopian at best...

teclis1023

Golden Member
Jan 19, 2007
Originally posted by: BoomerD
Not only no, but HELL NO!

What possible reason would I have for giving a shit about people in an overcrowded 3rd world nation, especially one that has taken so many American jobs?

They didn't take our jobs. We gave them away.

skace

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
Wonder how many of you would have to go without your 100w allocation so I could continue running my quad core, 8800 SLI, 30" monitor beast. Oh and the fridge has to remain on or I'd be wasting food that starving Ethiopians would die for.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
In response to thge original point:
There is no way I could survive ON a hundred watts. As for reducing my consumption by 100 watts, it would be difficult. I have all flourescent lights in my house (except fridge and oven).
Lowering consumption more could only be done by throwing out my CRT Television and hi-fi audio system and replacing each with lower powered alternatives. Both of which which would create a LOT of waste and end up hurting the environment even more.
I could dine out more which would save on the juice used in the microwave and stove, but again it would end up being more wasteful.

I already have plenty of blankets and use the heat very little. I turn off everything when I go to work. I turn off the computers when I know I wont be using them for a while. I just got an improved air, oil and fuel filter for my vehicle.
I dont wanna sound arrogant but I honestly think I am much more efficient than the average American.
I'm doing my part. Let India do theirs.

magomago

Lifer
Sep 28, 2002
Originally posted by: BrownTown
Yeah, one of the best things about China is they actually started rewarding people for NOT having kids, that really is the mmost moral thing to do, it makes no sense to have more kids than you can possibly afford. Also if the population is stable then all increases in production translate into increases in standard of living instead of just increasing the population of poor people. I know energy conservation is all the rage and thats a GOOD thing, but really there is more than enough energy potential in this world to provide everyone with at least 1000W, especially if we keep the number of people steady.

Not really. they PUNISH you for having more kids. Abortion is a huge massive problem over there. People are aborting left and right like crazy, even at the potential detriment of the woman. Although it is illegal to state the sex of a child before its born, its one of those laws that is not followed very consistently ~ and coupled with an abortion policy of "no questions asked" it has created a very sick and immoral system due to the implied government support.

Of course it'll be too bad for the people when they really bear the "fruit" (if you want to call it that) that the country has a lopsided ratio, and that the "future" old people and currently aging men and women are going to get kicked to the curb in China when money is dictated to be God and they dont' have their own way of taking care of themselves beyond relying on a government pension/social security.

It maybe fine to encourage people to have less children - but there is a fine line between encouraging people to have less children, and to actually penalize those that do.

----------------------------------------------

As for electricity - at my place we've been trying to really (albeit somewhat successful at times, and miserable at others) reduce power usage. I think if I HAD too - I could within a limit. Getting super low power usage items for a computer would be the obvious. I use my computer more for just casual internet browsing so I'm not losing anything really by having a "worse" video card, or processor. But to run on 100W, that would be one "slim" pc...

as for other things...the main one that hits my mind is the refrigerator and I see no real way to avoid power draw unless I have to start buying slabs of ice. Other than that I really don't watch that much TV, I don't use the dishwasher, and our oven and dryer is gas but I really don't even use the oven.

Jun 26, 2007
I have lived on less than that for months in Afghanistan but at home i wouldn't want to.

The thing is, they are a booming economy without any economic stability and a infrastructure that isn't worth even spending money on repairing.

I'm just waiting for a shitload of Hindus to join up with the LTTE and start some international terrorism instead of only doing it locally.

Jun 26, 2007
Originally posted by: magomago
Not really. they PUNISH you for having more kids. Abortion is a huge massive problem over there. People are aborting left and right like crazy, even at the potential detriment of the woman. Although it is illegal to state the sex of a child before its born, its one of those laws that is not followed very consistently ~ and coupled with an abortion policy of "no questions asked" it has created a very sick and immoral system due to the implied government support.

These people need a dose of the Catholic Church, no abortions, no birth control and no sex, abstinence only education.

No STD's, no unwanted babies, perfection, just like in Africa.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Originally posted by: JohnOfSheffield
These people need a dose of the Catholic Church, no abortions, no birth control and no sex, abstinence only education.

I think my sarcasm meter just detonated.

teclis1023

Golden Member
Jan 19, 2007

Africa is the best country in the world. Asia is the second best.

::looks around::

Jun 26, 2007
Originally posted by: shortylickens

I think my sarcasm meter just detonated.

I thought he was being sarcastic too, he suggests that abortion is the underlying problem to their overpopulation............ *BADABOOOM... BIG BADABOOM* went my sarcasm meter then.

I hope it didn't hurt you. ;)

Jun 26, 2007
Originally posted by: teclis1023

Africa is the best country in the world. Asia is the second best.

::looks around::

naturally i was talking about the areas of Africa as a whole where the Catholic Church is preaching abstinence only.

And i thought the Americas was the greatest nation on earth as GW Bush said it was? ;)