Discussion Would you just... go...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

YuliApp

Dec 27, 2017
desirehive.com
I've never really considered it. I went to school in England for a summer and had a little time to check out Paris, but I really didn't see why people are so enamored of traveling. I'm glad I did it though just to realize that I wasn't really missing anything.

I should mention though that a lot of this has to do with my OCD. Traveling is basically trauma for me. I can't decide what to pack. I'm always worried that I'm going to lose shit. It used to take me hours to check the apartment or house before I could leave. It was so bad I had to take pictures of things like faucets and gas stove because I knew I would question myself later. And since the idea of "enjoying life" generally involves the outdoors in some way, that's a deal breaker. Last year I went with some friends to check out a campsite. No camping, just looking. I was almost paralyzed worrying about Lone Star ticks and Lyme disease. I never go out at night in the warmer months because really hate getting bit. I could go on for a while but I'll leave it there.

Things have gotten a lot better though. I'm not nearly as much of a basket case as I used to be but don't go calling me "normal." I'm not even normal adjacent.

The only thing I really want to do now is go cruising. That poses a lot fewer problems for me although I probably won't even do that until there's a vaccine for the norovirus.

I understand that a lot. Being introvert/nerd my self also. I never traveled for sake of going places and see things. All my travels were just to get away from my busy life. Sure i would visit Paris, because it was 2h by train, but there i would just sit and watch and try some food, not feeling obligation to check mails.

And yes, when you have nothing, you cannot really forget to pack anything...

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
I've never done quite what the OP is suggesting, but we've packed up and moved hundreds of miles away numerous times in our lives. Sold a majority of furniture and large possessions, packed the rest into a moving truck or RV...and away we went.
I've never really had any "roots" set down anywhere.
Parents on both sides are long dead, kids grown and gone, grandkids all teenagers or older...nothing to keep us in one place.

Reactions: YuliApp

YuliApp

Dec 27, 2017
desirehive.com
I've never done quite what the OP is suggesting, but we've packed up and moved hundreds of miles away numerous times in our lives. Sold a majority of furniture and large possessions, packed the rest into a moving truck or RV...and away we went.
I've never really had any "roots" set down anywhere.
Parents on both sides are long dead, kids grown and gone, grandkids all teenagers or older...nothing to keep us in one place.

having no roots (especially job) helps a lot. Just follow what is right for your life and you.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Impressive. My wife and I have talked about it. But we have too much root here to permanently leave. What we have discussed and want to do is to basically live in couple different cities a year. We would spend a month or two in one city and then come back home. Then after staying home a month or two, leave to live in different city. We figure we can live in 3-4 different cities a year. That way we wouldn't have to worry about visas for the most part. And we can keep our current home and all our possessions. I will never sell our home.

The only thing that's stopping me right now is coronavirus and my daughter's schooling. But my daughter will start college next year so she won't need me around all the time. And hopefully by then this coronavirus is under better control and more countries open to US travelers. So my goal is to start traveling towards the end of next year.

BudAshes

Lifer
Jul 20, 2003
Impressive. My wife and I have talked about it. But we have too much root here to permanently leave. What we have discussed and want to do is to basically live in couple different cities a year. We would spend a month or two in one city and then come back home. Then after staying home a month or two, leave to live in different city. We figure we can live in 3-4 different cities a year. That way we wouldn't have to worry about visas for the most part. And we can keep our current home and all our possessions. I will never sell our home.

The only thing that's stopping me right now is coronavirus and my daughter's schooling. But my daughter will start college next year so she won't need me around all the time. And hopefully by then this coronavirus is under better control and more countries open to US travelers. So my goal is to start traveling next year.

You may have the same issue we have. My SO requires a massive haul of clothes and a hundred or pairs of shoes to travel with us wherever we live. She's very well organized so it's doable but it certainly adds some complexity.

YuliApp

Dec 27, 2017
desirehive.com
thank you for the answers. Yes clothes and shoes have been a big issues for me too. And well IT stuff. My servers, collections.
But actually once i started it was like a drug addiciton seeing how the money comes in for stuff "i knew i will have forever" and imagining what i can do with them. In the end i was reduced to only 12 pieces of clothes and 7 pairs of shoes.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
You may have the same issue we have. My SO requires a massive haul of clothes and a hundred or pairs of shoes to travel with us wherever we live. She's very well organized so it's doable but it certainly adds some complexity.
We intend to travel pretty light and live out our suitcases. I'm sure we'll get better with practice and time but we're not new to traveling. Neither of us are super high maintenance, and we don't require much. We're not trying to impress the locals. Our goal is to blend in, interact, and learn from them as much as possible.

YuliApp

Dec 27, 2017
desirehive.com
no way that cat is 13kg....
Depending on my motivation to keep up with his hunger and actual diet, yes, he ranges between 10 and almost 13. Hard to judge his real size from wide angle shot. Sorry for my weird face, i am in severe pain (he cuddles very intensively).

Attachments

• bear.jpg
    bear.jpg
    258.8 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:

YuliApp

Dec 27, 2017
desirehive.com
We intend to travel pretty light and live out our suitcases. I'm sure we'll get better with practice and time but we're not new to traveling. Neither of us are super high maintenance, and we don't require much. We're not trying to impress the locals. Our goal is to blend in, interact, and learn from them as much as possible.
same here we traveled always with one cabin case. When we needed something specific we bought locally (usually cheaper) and left it in the room on leave or in designated collection place.

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
Depending on my motivation to keep up with his hunger and actual diet, yes, he ranges between 10 and almost 13. Hard to judge his real size from wide angle shot. Sorry for my weird face, i am in actual pain (he cuddles very intensively).
That is a big cat...

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
I've gotten my wife down to 6 pairs of shoes. Sandles, "cute" Sandles, shoes, cute shoes, hiking boots and another cute shoe option

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
I thought about it when I was younger, just dropping everything and going. Now we are contemplating retirement, and travelling the US and Canada with our truck and trailer. I think we will keep the home base and have a friend stay here when we do.

YuliApp

Dec 27, 2017
desirehive.com
I thought about it when I was younger, just dropping everything and going. Now we are contemplating retirement, and travelling the US and Canada with our truck and trailer. I think we will keep the home base and have a friend stay here when we do.
sounds like a intriguing plan...

Nov 8, 2012
Nope. No thanks. Have responsibilities in life.

Also have fun getting robbed for your life savings in such countries.

YuliApp

Dec 27, 2017
desirehive.com
Nope. No thanks. Have responsibilities in life.

Also have fun getting robbed for your life savings in such countries.

What are those responsibilities? Are they more important for you than quality of your own life? I am not questioning it, just currious as i also will not be 20something for long, so have collected some responsibilities and blocks in my life.

We have no savings, we work here like everybody else. We are not on the first line of getting robbed as we fairly blend in. I have been minimalist most of my life.
Millionaires owning here big parts of the land and many houses and shops are first to get robbed.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
What are those responsibilities? Are they more important for you than quality of your own life? I am not questioning it, just currious as i also will not be 20something for long, so have collected some responsibilities and blocks in my life.

We have no savings, we work here like everybody else. We are not on the first line of getting robbed as we fairly blend in. I have been minimalist most of my life.
Millionaires owning here big parts of the land and many houses and shops are first to get robbed.

you'll have to excuse that guy. He has....issues. :D

• Haha
Reactions: skyking and YuliApp

Spacehead

Lifer
Jun 2, 2002
If i haven't done it by now i don't see myself doing it anytime soon. My immediate family is here as well as my friends, so that's the biggie holding me here.
I could i guess... no wife, no kids & everything except my car is paid for. I can't imagine relocating to another country though. I'm in the US & have only been to Canada so if i ever did pack up & go it'd probably be somewhere else in the US.

YuliApp

Dec 27, 2017
desirehive.com
If i haven't done it by now i don't see myself doing it anytime soon. My immediate family is here as well as my friends, so that's the biggie holding me here.
I could i guess... no wife, no kids & everything except my car is paid for. I can't imagine relocating to another country though. I'm in the US & have only been to Canada so if i ever did pack up & go it'd probably be somewhere else in the US.

nothing wrong with that and glad you have good family and friends. that belongs to the quality of life for sure!