Would you have shot this intruder.

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Nemesis 1

Lifer
Dec 30, 2006
Same thing happened in my village when I was 15 , This guy was bombed thought he was at home it was simply a drunken mistake no harm

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
We had a kid in my town try to crawl through the window thinking it was his home. Dude was wasted on mushrooms. Home owner shot him dead, no charges on home owner but his buddy that gave him the shrooms was charged with murder.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Hell no. I'm not bloodthristy enough to warrant killing another man unless my life is actually in danger. Guy sleeping in my house drunk? I would have just kicked the guy out in the morning. It was a drunken mistake and most likely he meant no harm.

Some people seem to have this fetish with power projection on another human being. "holy shit there is a guy we don't know at the door, get all the guns in the house, 90% chance we might have to shoot this guy"
You guys might want to invest in some sort of security system.

http://www.southparkstudios.com/clips/j63flr/in-security#tag=security

That's all well and good, until that harmless stranger kills you and rapes your wife and daughter. But you'll be dead, so I guess it's all good.

Oct 25, 2006
That's all well and good, until that harmless stranger kills you and rapes your wife and daughter. But you'll be dead, so I guess it's all good.

I guess I should never go out unless I'm wearing full body bulletproof titanium alloyed armor with a chemical attack resistant fully enclosed air filtration system and has a security system that calls the local police to 2 feet within my position if I ever have extra adrenaline in my blood.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I guess I should never go out unless I'm wearing full body bulletproof titanium alloyed armor with a chemical attack resistant fully enclosed air filtration system and has a security system that calls the local police to 2 feet within my position if I ever have extra adrenaline in my blood.

And I wouldn't shoot a drunk person who was stumbling down the street either. A drunk person who stumbles into my home, and into my underage daughters bed, and who may or may not be dangerous, well I just might shoot such a person if I feel threatened.

You're an utter failure in this conversation. Begone.

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
Would any of you shot this unarmed defenseless man

i guess you have never been put in a headlock by somebody wanting to really hurt you.

the fucker would have been staring down the barrel of my gun until the cops got there with a very clear understanding that if he makes one move he is dead.

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000

for you i think this is a good idea.

RightIsWrong

Diamond Member
Apr 29, 2005
If I'd caught him sneaking in, most likely. If I'd found signs of him touching my child, absolutely. If it went down as the story reads, probably not, but I would have had either my pistol or my shotgun pointed center mass while the fam called the police, just in case.

Pretty much this is how I would have handled it.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
Well the fact that you're trolling for extreme comments notwithstanding... probably not. I lock my doors/downstairs windows at night so this situation would never have occurred to me in the first place.

In the unlikely event that I forgot to lock a door/window and said situation did occur as stated in the article, I wouldn't be on a hair trigger but I'd definitely have my 1911 at the ready as I called 911. Secure my family and let the cops handle it when they get here as long as he stays asleep. If he wakes up, tell him, at gunpoint, to stay where he was, hands visible. To reemphasize, not on a hair trigger but any sign of violence and he'd be done.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
Hell no. I'm not bloodthristy enough to warrant killing another man unless my life is actually in danger. Guy sleeping in my house drunk? I would have just kicked the guy out in the morning. It was a drunken mistake and most likely he meant no harm.

Some people seem to have this fetish with power projection on another human being. "holy shit there is a guy we don't know at the door, get all the guns in the house, 90% chance we might have to shoot this guy"
You guys might want to invest in some sort of security system.

http://www.southparkstudios.com/clips/j63flr/in-security#tag=security

You'd let a drunken stranger with unknown intentions spend the night with you and your family? Around your kids? Seriously? You must have lived a pretty pampered life.

Drunk or not the person in the OP would be an intruder in my home. Now I wouldn't bound down the stairs guns blazing or anything but one way or another intruders do not get to spend the night. They are not my friends, nor even my acquaintances. Nor do I have any desire to be acquainted with someone who drunkenly wanders into peoples' homes to sleep with their underage kids. If that's a paranoid power fetish in your mind, so be it.

Smoblikat

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 2011
If I caught him breaking in: Yes
If he touched my kid/stuff: Yes
If the story went down as depicted: No

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
Seeing this made me thinking of all the gun folk on ATOT. Would any of you shot this unarmed defenseless man rather than just call the police. They way some of you talk on here it seems like you sadly would.

Damn it, I screwed up. This was suppose to go in OT. This isn't News or Politics.

I am probably what a lot on here would consider a "gun nut" and I would absolutely never shoot someone unless I thought my life or the life of one of my loved ones was in immediate danger. The girl was able to get herself out of the room and out of danger without waking the man so I must assume that being in that situation I wouldn't even consider shooting him. Then again, I wasn't actually there and none of us know what we will actually do until we are thrown into that situation.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
We had a kid in my town try to crawl through the window thinking it was his home. Dude was wasted on mushrooms. Home owner shot him dead, no charges on home owner but his buddy that gave him the shrooms was charged with murder.

Wait wait wait..... The guy who intoxicated himself and shot someone, legit or not, does not get charged with a damn thing. Some guy that had absolutely nothing to do with the death of the kid gets charged with murder because he sold the guy the stuff he got intoxicated with????

Why doesn't Budweiser get a DWI instead of me when I get caught driving intoxicated or charged with homicide when a drunk driver kills someone?

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
I would probably chain him up and use him as my slave for a few weeks. Give him a choice, I can call the police, for you can work around the house.

Not a sex slave, but use him to cut my grass, cook dinner, wash dishes, wash my truck,,, stuff like that.

Once his debt had been paid for trespassing, I would have set him free.

Sure............

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Wait wait wait..... The guy who intoxicated himself and shot someone, legit or not, does not get charged with a damn thing. Some guy that had absolutely nothing to do with the death of the kid gets charged with murder because he sold the guy the stuff he got intoxicated with????

Why doesn't Budweiser get a DWI instead of me when I get caught driving intoxicated or charged with homicide when a drunk driver kills someone?

The commission of a felony that leads to the death of somebody = felony murder rule. Felony was selling/giving the guy (home invader) the shrooms. If somebody dies because of one's felony actions and commission of felony crime = felony murder. Same as if you and your buddy rob or assault somebody and your buddy gets dead = you're charged withe felony murder.

The intruder was tripping on shrooms, intruder got shot crawling in a window by home owner, guy who provided the shrooms got charged with felony murder. Home owner is of course not charged in my state.

What's the lesson here?

Smoblikat

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 2011
Was he American? Missed that. Doesn't matter who cleaned his clock. Someone acted appropriately. I suppose there could be an argument made that since he was drunk the guy shouldn't have stopped him. If you are drunk you have no accountability or responsibility for your actions.

I hope you are joking. I assume you are.