Would you have shot this intruder.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
I seriously doubt this guy would get in to your house in the first place if you remember to check the status of all of your doors and windows before going to sleep.

So if someone leaves their door/window unlocked you should be free to enter their house? :rolleyes:

Unfortunately shooting him will just create more trouble for yourself. What with having to buy a new bed.

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
This
Harvinder-Badesha-mugshot-23200746.400x800.jpg

vs this
20121010_113910_Zoey%20Ripple%20Conclusion73_300.jpg

Him, no. Her, most definitely.:sneaky:

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000

Under the circumstances given I would have. She wasn't just randomly shot. She was given fair warning and the home occupants had reason to believe they were in danger. This is the responsibility of the woman, and to relieve her of it by saying she was drunk is tantamount to saying that a DUI accident wasn't the fault of the one doing the drinking.

Here's a counter question for you.

Would you have let this person come into your room like the woman above and not act and let him rape your girlfriend?

momeNt

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2011
Yep, just like the wingnuts use Obamacare instead of ACA, right?

Actually no, it's used with respect and Obama receives reference to it as Obamacare with thanks.

Death panels may be more what you are looking for.

Orignal Earl

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2005
That's what seals it from a legal perspective. There is plenty of precedent that when the victim is on his back and attacker above or over him the victim is presumed to be in imminent fear for their life and can automatically shoot. That's the law.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fvx3HyDGnSY

Could not decide which thread to put this in, flipped a coin and this one won
But ya, it's scary that hero's like this can be executed by spidey these days

Last edited:

momeNt

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2011
Under the circumstances given I would have. She wasn't just randomly shot. She was given fair warning and the home occupants had reason to believe they were in danger. This is the responsibility of the woman, and to relieve her of it by saying she was drunk is tantamount to saying that a DUI accident wasn't the fault of the one doing the drinking.

Here's a counter question for you.

Would you have let this person come into your room like the woman above and not act and let him rape your girlfriend?

Where would you have aimed?

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000
I like how that American guy ran up a clocked the drunk Canadian guy. Good thing the American guy was there.

Was he American? Missed that. Doesn't matter who cleaned his clock. Someone acted appropriately. I suppose there could be an argument made that since he was drunk the guy shouldn't have stopped him. If you are drunk you have no accountability or responsibility for your actions.

momeNt

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2011
You almost always aim center mass.

It seems like she may have just been standing there in a stupor, was non-responsive so they shot because they didn't want to get close to her. I think the hip shot was probably indicative of that, he was trying to cause as little damage as possible. Not a doctor so I don't know the best place to shoot to not kill.

I bet if they had a gun and mace, they would have used mace to subdue her.

Not that it matters legally speaking, I just think the story shows this didn't happen suddenly and they had some time to think before acting.

dabuddha

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
Right in the nut sack. Then I'd tell the cops I walked by and saw him getting into bed with my kid.

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
It seems like she may have just been standing there in a stupor, was non-responsive so they shot because they didn't want to get close to her. I think the hip shot was probably indicative of that, he was trying to cause as little damage as possible. Not a doctor so I don't know the best place to shoot to not kill.

Not that it matters legally speaking, I just think the story shows this didn't happen suddenly and they had some time to think before acting.

From the story it looks like she was still approaching them

Ripple was shot and wounded around 3:30 a.m. May 23 after she wandered into a couple's bedroom at 425 College Ave. The homeowners, Timothy Justice and Doreen Orion, told police that Ripple approached their bed holding a light and never said a word. They said they demanded repeatedly that she leave and even warned they had a gun.

Justice fired a single shot at Ripple once she was within 6 feet of him, according to court records.

It's a strange story, but if you're a trained in firearms you never shoot to wound, you shoot to stop. It's surprising how far even trained firearm people miss in situations like this.

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000

If you are not prepared to kill, do everyone a favor and never carry a weapon. Do you know what people who shoot to wound are called? DOA.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000

No, under stress you normally miss low because you're grabbing the trigger with your entire hand causing you to dip the muzzle when you squeeze (also likely have the trigger on your finger joint which makes it worse) It's easy to shoot people in the hip or leg area if you do that even if you're "aiming" center mass.

Proper training and muscle memory can overcome this which is why one really needs to train regularly. Pretty proud of myself lately. I can go drawn and low to put 5-6 shots all center mass inside a small dinner plate at 25 feet. All in about 3-4 seconds.

Last edited:

Jadow

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2003
i would have woke him up first and then shot him so the CSI folks could determine that he was standing up and not laying on the bed.

Wake him up
Shoot him dead
tell the cops "he came at me"

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000
No
But, Dances like chicken could not understand the point of my post, so he went into default attack the Canadian mode

I know more than a few Canadians and will tell anyone that they can be damned good fighters when need be. I've used the "one tank" joke playfully, but there are not many I'd rather have at my back in time of need than the ones I'm thinking of.

momeNt

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2011
From the story it looks like she was still approaching them

It's a strange story, but if you're a trained in firearms you never shoot to wound, you shoot to stop. It's surprising how far even trained firearm people miss in situations like this.

Oh she had a light also. They maybe couldn't see the person if she was shining it towards them trying not to trip or something. Also explains why the shot was in the hip.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
If I'd caught him sneaking in, most likely. If I'd found signs of him touching my child, absolutely. If it went down as the story reads, probably not, but I would have had either my pistol or my shotgun pointed center mass while the fam called the police, just in case.
This, exactly.

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000
This, exactly.

The thing is not to engage in hypotheticals. When facing a potential threat one has to concentrate on the now and not what might have been. The latter can lead to action which is not appropriate to the situation at hand.

One does not want to become distracted in the heat of the moment and act on one's fear of what might have happened, and yes that is a concern.

SheHateMe

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2012
*Insert joke about arranged marriage to underaged girls.*

The girl sneaked out of bed without disturbing the man

I'm not sure if that is proper usage.

xj0hnx

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2007
Ahhh, the good ol' days, getting so wasted you don't know where you are, or how you got there. We woke up after a hearty night of drinking, someone else's car parked in the middle of the lawn, wondering which one of us drove, good times indeed.

Probably give him a little of the dog and put him out on the porch.

Oct 25, 2006
Hell no. I'm not bloodthristy enough to warrant killing another man unless my life is actually in danger. Guy sleeping in my house drunk? I would have just kicked the guy out in the morning. It was a drunken mistake and most likely he meant no harm.

Some people seem to have this fetish with power projection on another human being. "holy shit there is a guy we don't know at the door, get all the guns in the house, 90% chance we might have to shoot this guy"
You guys might want to invest in some sort of security system.

http://www.southparkstudios.com/clips/j63flr/in-security#tag=security