Would you have shot this intruder.

DCal430

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2011
An 11-year-old girl awoke Saturday morning in Antelope to find a strange, intoxicated man sleeping alongside her, authorities said.

The girl sneaked out of bed without disturbing the man, then alerted her mother, the Sacramento County Sheriff's Department reported. The girl and her mother were not injured, and the man later arrested, officials said.

The suspect, identified as 25-year-old Harvinder Badesha, allegedly entered the Pepperridge Drive home through an unlocked door or window, said sheriff's Sgt. Jason Ramos. He then went upstairs and got into bed with the girl, Ramos said.

The girl woke up about 7 a.m. and noticed the man next to her, got out of bed and got her mom, Ramos said. Her mom confronted the man, then held him inside the home until deputies arrived.

Deputies arrested Badesha on suspicion of burglary. Ramos said Badesha was intoxicated at the time he was arrested.

Read more here: http://blogs.sacbee.com/crime/archi...her-bed-sacramento-sheriff.html#storylink=cpy

Seeing this made me thinking of all the gun folk on ATOT. Would any of you shot this unarmed defenseless man rather than just call the police. They way some of you talk on here it seems like you sadly would.

Damn it, I screwed up. This was suppose to go in OT. This isn't News or Politics.

Last edited:
May 16, 2000
If I'd caught him sneaking in, most likely. If I'd found signs of him touching my child, absolutely. If it went down as the story reads, probably not, but I would have had either my pistol or my shotgun pointed center mass while the fam called the police, just in case.

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
No, in my State it's only legal to shoot when your life or another persons life is in danger. According to the story no one was ever in danger for their life.

I'm also much more careful about locking doors. All my windows have other options that make it difficult to enter from outside.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
If he dies depends on his reaction to being caught.

If he moves to use force, I respond in kind.

umbrella39

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004
If I'd caught him sneaking in, most likely. If I'd found signs of him touching my child, absolutely. If it went down as the story reads, probably not, but I would have had either my pistol or my shotgun pointed center mass while the fam called the police, just in case.

Pretty much this. His reaction when waking up would really be the deciding factor if the cops had not yet arrived. I'm not sure if like you said it played out the way it did I'd even try to wake him up before they got there but I'd damn well be ready if he did. Weird story.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003

This.

I don't care if he was a she or it or drunk or sober or not. Don't want to get shot? Don't enter other people houses without invitation.

ichy

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2006

I agree. I'm not cold-blooded enough to advocate shooting someone who's asleep, but if he's in any way aggressive while I wait for the cops he dies.

SilthDraeth

Platinum Member
Oct 28, 2003
Chances are he wandered into the wrong house, and just went to sleep. This happens now and then with drunkards. He still might end up getting shot though for climbing into the bed of a 7 year old.

Apple Of Sodom

Golden Member
Oct 7, 2007
I probably wouldn't have. It is hard to say. What a lot of people on here don't seem to understand is that there is a huge disparity between what people say they will do and what they do when in the situation. For example, an overwhelming majority of people say they would never get chem if they had cancer...but most people with cancer end up getting chemotherapy. I'm guessing OP would act very differently than he says if he caught an intruder.

Anyhow, gun owners aren't murderers. If I found a man sleeping in my house I would hold him at gun point until cops arrive. I don't want the hassle of killing him; I don't want the mess; I don't want it on my conscience. If I caught him breaking in or he was aggressive, yes, I would put two in his chest and one in his fucking face.

Veliko

Diamond Member
Feb 16, 2011
Anyhow, gun owners aren't murderers. If I found a man sleeping in my house I would hold him at gun point until cops arrive. I don't want the hassle of killing him; I don't want the mess; I don't want it on my conscience. If I caught him breaking in or he was aggressive, yes, I would put two in his chest and one in his fucking face.

'Cos you're WELL 'ARD.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
He wasn't a threat at the time of discovery. You aren't going to see many pro Second Amendment people arguing for shooting him, but of course we'll have those projecting onto them who will say they would. Seems we already have.

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
I would probably chain him up and use him as my slave for a few weeks. Give him a choice, I can call the police, for you can work around the house.

Not a sex slave, but use him to cut my grass, cook dinner, wash dishes, wash my truck,,, stuff like that.

Once his debt had been paid for trespassing, I would have set him free.

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
Looks like another story about a drunk guy picking the wrong place to sleep.

If he was still drunk when he woke up then he definitely was probably drunk enough to not know he was entering the wrong house.

The deputies probably used the burglary charge to make the paperwork easier and likely released him after he spent some time in the drunk tank and some questioning.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Gun pointed directly at him, give orders to stay exactly where he is; wife would be calling 911 to report home invasion. If he moves towards me or any sudden movement = shoot as fast and as many as I can. There are other ready to fire weapons in the house and I cannot have him making a move towards any of them.

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
Gun pointed directly at him, give orders to stay exactly where he is; wife would be calling 911 to report home invasion. If he moves towards me or any sudden movement = shoot as fast and as many as I can. There are other ready to fire weapons in the house and I cannot have him making a move towards any of them.

I seriously doubt this guy would get in to your house in the first place if you remember to check the status of all of your doors and windows before going to sleep.

Lizardman

Golden Member
Jul 23, 2001
I have had this happen to me at my parents beach house. We live on a street with a few popular bars and on average this happens at least once a summer. My dad gets mad but we have never hurt anyone because of it. I know friends on mine who have done the same sort of thing on accident because they were drunk and didn't know the area well enough to find their way back home.

Usually the people who stumble in end up on the couch and not anyone's bed. I have also ended up in the wrong girl's bed once because I drank too much. It was the housemate of a girl I was dating at the time. She was not too happy about it and I am probably lucky she didn't have a gun on her.

FerrelGeek

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2009
I probably wouldn't have. It is hard to say. What a lot of people on here don't seem to understand is that there is a huge disparity between what people say they will do and what they do when in the situation. For example, an overwhelming majority of people say they would never get chem if they had cancer...but most people with cancer end up getting chemotherapy. I'm guessing OP would act very differently than he says if he caught an intruder.

Pretty much this.

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008

You notice how the biased Denver Post used the phrase "Make my day law" in the story? That's not the title of the actual law, that's what the leftist media tagged it. The actual title of the law is The Colorado Homeowners Protection Act. Words mean things, the left used semantics to misinform about the law.

As the story is related she would have stood a good chance of being shot.

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002
You notice how the biased Denver Post used the phrase "Make my day law" in the story? That's not the title of the actual law, that's what the leftist media tagged it. The actual title of the law is The Colorado Homeowners Protection Act. Words mean things, the left used semantics to misinform about the law.

As the story is related she would have stood a good chance of being shot.

Yep, just like the wingnuts use Obamacare instead of ACA, right?

Tom

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

I wouldn't want to deliver pizza to your house.