Would you ever consider using Linux as a gaming OS/platform?

What A Disaster

Oct 15, 2021
After hearing about BattlEye and Easy Anti-Cheat, I've considered using Linux more and more as an actual OS for gaming other than using Windows. In fact I've considered just switching to Linux full time since most of my games work on Linux.

Windows use to be my favourite OS back in the 2000s, but it's moved in a direction out of my favour since Windows 8.

Would any of you gamers consider using Linux for gaming in the near or distant future? If so, then what motivated you to consider? If not, then what makes you decide not to?

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
Windows can be annoying but it's best OS for gamers. I have a huge library of games and programs going back decades, many of which don't have Linux versions. The latest consumer hardware (video cards, VR, etc.) is always designed around Windows first and Linux support may come later on, or never.

I customized many aspects of Windows (disabling auto updates/tracking, custom themes) and keep the same user account and game/app settings over many OS installs. I dual booted Ubuntu at one point but was having to go to Windows anyway for a lot of things, so I stopped using it.

NTMBK

Lifer
Nov 14, 2011
I'd consider it, but it depends on how annoying Windows 11 is.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
Of course, provided I can get games I want to play, the performance is decent and it doesn't require ritual sacrifice to get it working. I'm already running Linux, I just dual-boot with Win10 for gaming.

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
It depends if Linux gets easier to use. I don't have time to troubleshoot stuff and learn the ins and outs of the OS. My biggest fear is drivers and getting support for new tech.

repoman0

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2010
Of course I would, it’s a far better designed OS. Unfortunately I need it for Lightroom too and Adobe is showing no interest. I’d definitely switch to a competitor if the software was decent and had Linux support but no one else seems interested either.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
No. If more developers kept Linux in mind then I'd consider it because I really do prefer it over Windows as an OS, but I like to occasionally go back and play some older games and a lot of older games (and even some newer ones) simply don't have Linux support so I'd be stuck using Windows anyways.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Linux has been stuck on the old chicken/egg problem for ages: No one programs for it because no one uses it, and no one uses it because no one programs for it.

If Valve pushes out a damn good wrapper that makes basically everything work on Linux with minimal performance loss... then why not?