Would you date a single mom?

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

freakflag

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2001
Originally posted by: TekChik
Originally posted by: WannaFly
Originally posted by: Brutuskend
My guess is that at least 90% of the guys that said the would NOT date a single MOM were in their 20's or under. Believe me, your views WILL change as you get older!

What? There are people over 30 that post here? nonsense. :D

I'll agree with that comment, I was thinking the exact same thing. As some of the previous posters mentioned, you have to be mature enough to deal with the kid also (if you are together for any length of time). I'm almost 24 and I know i'm too selfish with my time to want to deal with kids right now but I think i'd be willing if I liked the girl enough.

you totally hit the nail on the head, so to speak. the guy i've been dating for the past few months is almost 7 years younger than i am. i have an almost 4 yr old daughter and he'd never been around kids before. i could tell that he was very uncomfortable around her at first, but he liked me enough to take it slow and take the time to discuss the questions he had about how to handle things. he's come a LONG way in just a few months, to the point where he admits actually LIKING to hang out with her when he and i cant go out alone. it helps that she's adorable and warms up to people very easily, but still...it's been a positive situation for both of us so far.

Is she a plump 4 year old?? The plump ones are good for roasting....

TekChik

Jan 15, 2003
Originally posted by: freakflag
My guess is that at least 90% of the guys that said the would NOT date a single MOM were in their 20's or under. Believe me, your views WILL change as you get older!

I'll agree with that comment, I was thinking the exact same thing. As some of the previous posters mentioned, you have to be mature enough to deal with the kid also (if you are together for any length of time). I'm almost 24 and I know i'm too selfish with my time to want to deal with kids right now but I think i'd be willing if I liked the girl enough.

you totally hit the nail on the head, so to speak. the guy i've been dating for the past few months is almost 7 years younger than i am. i have an almost 4 yr old daughter and he'd never been around kids before. i could tell that he was very uncomfortable around her at first, but he liked me enough to take it slow and take the time to discuss the questions he had about how to handle things. he's come a LONG way in just a few months, to the point where he admits actually LIKING to hang out with her when he and i cant go out alone. it helps that she's adorable and warms up to people very easily, but still...it's been a positive situation for both of us so far.

are you a COMPLETE moron? or do you just APPEAR that way?

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
I did, when I was 25. We now have 4 kids total and have been married for 9 years.

freakflag

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2001

Wow. Are you a touchy b!itch or are you just a touchy b!tch? It was a joke, honey...you know, like Fat Bastard "Get in mah belly!....lighten up.
rolleye.gif

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000

Now THAT is just plain hilarious!

nearly spit my drink out on that one.
ROTFLMAO

TekChik

Jan 15, 2003

Wow. Are you a touchy b!itch or are you just a touchy b!tch? It was a joke, honey...you know, like Fat Bastard "Get in mah belly!....lighten up.
rolleye.gif

nope...i'm not touchy at all. that's why there's this thing called context. see, if it's in a movie that's a comedy, it's funny. if it's replying to a statement that someone made that wasn't funny, then...well...it's not taken that way. it just wasn't appropriate...at least to an adult.

:)

kenshorin

Golden Member
Apr 14, 2001
Friend with benefits, yep. Relationship... nope. I don't think I could enjoy the dating process as much if we had to go looking for babysitters and doing all that responsible stuff.

The only kids I'll be taking care of will have my genes, thankyouverymuch.

DT4K

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2002
I'm married, but otherwise I would say yes only if you actually think you might want to marry this woman and you are ready to be a father.
Letting the child get attached to you, then breaking it off because it was just for fun and sex, will be really hard on the child.

NetGuySC

Golden Member
Nov 19, 1999
I have in the past and yes she was uber pretty :) , actually I dated a woman with three kids for about 4 years. I think one of the reason it went that long was that I got so attached to the kids. I found that allot of the time that having kids around can make for a fun date.

We broke up and she has since married and I broke off my relationship with the two youngest kids so the new husband would have a chance to get closer with them. I still talk every month or so to her oldest daughter. She is now 21 and will soon marry.

I will NEVER date another woman with kids, even though at my age that will cut out like 99% of the single women.

Besides I am a happily married man myself and have a beautiful 11 month old daughter. But even so if I were single, no more single moms for me.

Geekbabe

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Oct 16, 1999
www.theshoppinqueen.com
A lot of you guys are responding as if there were a store someplaced filled with single mothers desparate for your company. I was single with 3 kids and let me tell you,I was picky about who even got to meet them,forget this nonsense about looking for an instant daddie crap.Btw,I also always worked and supported my family as do most single mothers I've ever known.

DT4K

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2002
Originally posted by: Geekbabe
A lot of you guys are responding as if there were a store someplaced filled with single mothers desparate for your company. I was single with 3 kids and let me tell you,I was picky about who even got to meet them,forget this nonsense about looking for an instant daddie crap.Btw,I also always worked and supported my family as do most single mothers I've ever known.

Unfortunately, I have met quite a few single mothers who were not nearly as picky as you. I'm not generalizing, just saying there are some who seem to have a different live in abusive alcoholic boyfriend each week. The majority however are probably more like you.

Brutuskend

Lifer
Apr 2, 2001
Originally posted by: NetGuySC
I have in the past and yes she was uber pretty :) , actually I dated a woman with three kids for about 4 years. I think one of the reason it went that long was that I got so attached to the kids. I found that allot of the time that having kids around can make for a fun date.

We broke up and she has since married and I broke off my relationship with the two youngest kids so the new husband would have a chance to get closer with them. I still talk every month or so to her oldest daughter. She is now 21 and will soon marry.

I will NEVER date another woman with kids, even though at my age that will cut out like 99% of the single women.

Besides I am a happily married man myself and have a beautiful 11 month old daughter. But even so if I were single, no more single moms for me.

I know where you're coming from there!

I got real close with my ex's daughter. When we split up I missed HER almost as much as I missed her Mom.
Last time I saw her, she was riding in her new Dad's pick-up and we passed on the road. She gave me a look that could KILL. THAT hurt.
I was never anything but loving to her, and because her Mom and I were no longer together, I'm the BAD guy. :( I guess she thought I deserted her or something.... :(

DT4K

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2002

I got real close with my ex's daughter. When we split up I missed HER almost as much as I missed her Mom.
Last time I saw her, she was riding in her new Dad's pick-up and we passed on the road. She gave me a look that could KILL. THAT hurt.
I was never anything but loving to her, and because her Mom and I were no longer together, I'm the BAD guy. :( I guess she thought I deserted her or something.... :(

Gee, ya think????

The fact that you were "never anything but loving to her" made things worse. She obviously got very attached to you and was crushed when you simply disappeared. Think of how she must have felt to have someone come into her life as a father figure then just disappear one day. It's almost like losing a parent.

That's why I think it's so terrible when a guy moves in with a single mother for awhile then just walks away. I think if you are going to date a single mother, you should really try to keep your distance from the kid/kids and not let them get attached until you are really sure that you want to get married and be a family.

Geekbabe

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Oct 16, 1999
www.theshoppinqueen.com
Originally posted by: Shanti

Gee, ya think????

The fact that you were "never anything but loving to her" made things worse. She obviously got very attached to you and was crushed when you simply disappeared. Think of how she must have felt to have someone come into her life as a father figure then just disappear one day. It's almost like losing a parent.

That's why I think it's so terrible when a guy moves in with a single mother for awhile then just walks away. I think if you are going to date a single mother, you should really try to keep your distance from the kid/kids and not let them get attached until you are really sure that you want to get married and be a family.

keeping that boundary is Mom's job.Being a responsible single mother means that you don't let guys just move in,you also don't run the streets after work,you go home to your kids.

DT4K

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2002

Gee, ya think????

keeping that boundary is Mom's job.Being a responsible single mother means that you don't let guys just move in,you also don't run the streets after work,you go home to your kids.

Agreed. But I also think guys should be decent enough to think about what might happen to a child's feelings and be very careful. I know if I was in that situation, I would be.

Jeff7181

Lifer
Aug 21, 2002
I have and would again... I'm not the type who goes out and parties, and I don't get along to well with people that feel the need to do that. I don't specifically look for single mom's, but one of the two I dated seemed more mature, laid back, and was interested in doing things I am, rather than go get drunk every friday or saturday night. That didn't work out for whatever reason, we both just kinda lost interest. And the other one was the type who wanted to party every weekend and would leave her kid to go party... so that didn't last.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
I went out with a single mom (2 kids) last night. We had a blast. She is fun, pretty, sweet, everything a guy ever wants in a woman. We taked for hours without any of the silent awkard moments. Who knows what the future will hold for us but for now, I am planning to see her again. As a matter of fact, we will meet again later today. :D Will keep yall update.

BTW, I agree with Geekbabe about not all single moms are sitting around waiting for sugar daddies. My date is hard working to support her two kids. I can't tolerate laziness.

compuwiz1

Admin Emeritus Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Depends.....

Gotta see the kid first. If she's light and the kid is dark....I'm not going there. I'm sure there are "certain needs" I'd come up short on, so again, it would all depend on who it is. Now, if suzie, the next door divorcee, who works 6 days per week and gardens on the other day, wants to invite me over for a BBQ, heck, I might go for that. She might just want a little, and soon both of us will be back to schedules as usual. ;)

Brutuskend

Lifer
Apr 2, 2001

Gee, ya think????

Agreed. But I also think guys should be decent enough to think about what might happen to a child's feelings and be very careful. I know if I was in that situation, I would be.

If it had been entirely up to me I would still be with her, but it WASN'T entirely UP to me!
rolleye.gif

Ranger X

Lifer
Mar 18, 2000
Why would anyone want to take care of someone else's kid, both financially and emotionally? I would date them but I would not marry them or have a long-term relationship with them whatsoever.