Would You Buy Navi if It Was Bundled with Ryzen?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DarthKyrie

Golden Member
Jul 11, 2016
AMD has tried their hand with memory before (by running their own brand). It did not work out so well for them. Also, bundling a specific board might irritate other board partners. That's the kind of bundle Microcenter et al. can put together. AMD doesn't have that flexibility.

I think they would have a nice market for RAM optimized for maximum performance for their Ryzen and Threadripper lines, the last time they tried was with the Construction cores, I bought a 16GB (2x8GB) kit of 2400 DDR3 to pair with my Kaveri for $100 in 2012. Timing for such a product is critical, Zen is far more popular and even more so now with Zen2.

You have a good point on the motherboard problem and are correct. Instead, replace the MB with an AMD branded 1TB PCIe 4.0 drive.

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
The fastest Navi would be a downgrade for me, so no, not interested.

If the deal was good enough, I'd buy it with my Zen2 and pass the savings on FS/FT though, as I definitely wouldn't need it.

Reactions: senseamp

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Just sold off all my aging HTPC/living room gamer stuff, and will be buying both Zen 2 and Navi, regardless of whether any extra incentives/bundles are provided or not. Because it is time to retire an aging Ryzen 1600 + RX580 8GB as well, and put them in that system. Out with the old, in with the new.

DarthKyrie

Golden Member
Jul 11, 2016
Just sold off all my aging HTPC/living room gamer stuff, and will be buying both Zen 2 and Navi, regardless of whether any extra incentives/bundles are provided or not. Because it is time to retire an aging Ryzen 1600 + RX580 8GB as well, and put them in that system. Out with the old, in with the new.

Such an ancient system you poor poor man, and here I thought that my Kaveri and R9 380 was ancient.

Edit: I forgot to add if you are looking to part ways with it to buy something new I would be happy to relieve you of that dinosaur, I'd even do it for free so you don't have to pay recycling fees.

Last edited:

Avalon

Diamond Member
Jul 16, 2001
I'd be down for an R5 3600 + Radeon 5700/XT bundle. Sitting on an R5 1600 + RX 580 right now and looking to get a new 1440p monitor, so I need a little more oomph. Old stuff will go in the lady's PC.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Such an ancient system you poor poor man, and here I thought that my Kaveri and R9 380 was ancient.

Edit: I forgot to add if you are looking to part ways with it to buy something new I would be happy to relieve you of that dinosaur, I'd even do it for free so you don't have to pay recycling fees.
No freebies but I will cut you a killer deal if you want dibs on them.

And BTW SHhhhhhh! The Mrs. is buying the BS so far. :beercheers:

Last edited:

DarthKyrie

Golden Member
Jul 11, 2016
No freebies but I will cut you a killer deal if you want dibs on them.

And BTW SHhhhhhh! The Mrs. is buying the BS so far. :beercheers:

It's actually not BS because of the performance jump in AVX workloads alone which you can tell her is used in most of the programs you need to use.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
3600 was sold out everywhere online by the time I woke up, but picked up the Sapphire 5700. Almost pulled the trigger on the X but $50 early adopter tax for basically no real world gain put me off. I might still cave in and do it since I skipped the 2700x 50th anniversary a couple months back in anticipation of these.

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
It depends on how good of a deal. I'm not particularly fond of AMD's reference GPUs with their blower design and the noise level that entails. If it were third party cards then it makes the decision a lot easier since I'm already inclined to buy an AMD CPU for my next PC.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
3600 was sold out everywhere online by the time I woke up, but picked up the Sapphire 5700. Almost pulled the trigger on the X but $50 early adopter tax for basically no real world gain put me off. I might still cave in and do it since I skipped the 2700x 50th anniversary a couple months back in anticipation of these.

How soon will you get the 5700? Care to treat us to some OC results in the AMD subforum at some point? I'm wondering if a 5700 can be turned into a 5700XT with some effort.

guachi

Nov 16, 2010
Looks like Microcenter actually has bundles. Save $50 when buying either Navi card and any of the new Ryzen 3000 series.

And then add $50 buying a CPU and an "eligible" motherboard. It appears basically every 450, 470, and 570 motherboard is "eligible"

$100 off. I... may need to go to my nearest Microcenter.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
How soon will you get the 5700? Care to treat us to some OC results in the AMD subforum at some point? I'm wondering if a 5700 can be turned into a 5700XT with some effort.
I decided to cancel it and get the 5700XT. I know the blower is loud, but I wear cans most the time when I game on the system it is going in. Otherwise I might have skipped the reference model. Nvidia seems to have learned, it is time AMD did the same, and stopped selling blower dryers.

DarthKyrie

Golden Member
Jul 11, 2016
I decided to cancel it and get the 5700XT. I know the blower is loud, but I wear cans most the time when I game on the system it is going in. Otherwise I might have skipped the reference model. Nvidia seems to have learned, it is time AMD did the same, and stopped selling blower dryers.

You should have waited until next month and gotten an AIB card.

Sunaiac

Dec 17, 2014
Bought a 3900x+5700XT, no bundle, directly from AMD, anniversary edition for the Radeon.
Zen 2 is a bit less good than I expected/hoped/wanted (but it's more a case of always hoping for more since there's nothing better at the moment héhé), navi is clearly better than I expected/hoped/wanted.
I'll put everything under water, so the reference cooler is a non problem for me.

Sunaiac

Dec 17, 2014
Oh, and I don't think Navi needs a bundle to be a good offer.
From what I've seen, it's well placed relatively to the rest.
Of course price cut vegas kinda make it look expensive, but we've been taught since the GTX680 that lower power consumption is priceless and warrants 800€ mid range and 1200€ high-end, so I guess a 400€ mid range is sadly the best we'll have to settle for.

We have the market we deserve. Buying or not buying is what sets the prices, not wether or not all actors have products as "good".

DarthKyrie

Golden Member
Jul 11, 2016
If you are lucky to be near a Microcenter I think they are still doing deals on new AMD 7nm products and x570 Motherboards. I know yesterday they were $100 off if you bought a Ryzen 3000, RX 5700/5700XT and an x570 MB.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Once stock improves, and I'm guessing by BF at the latest if not before when things really heat up with Nvidia in the later summer/fall, AMD might be putting such bundles together...or at least incentives for Microcenter and Fry's to make such bundles available.

Zen 2 is so good though....kinda wish I wasn't stuck with this garbage 2700X that I got last year for ~$200 at Microcenter. :D

Honestly though, I have slightly more salt regarding the Vega 64 (sapphire triple fan thingy) for $400 last year. It's a good card...just, drivers are wonky from release to release and games like to crash a bit too frequently. I'm too lazy to troubleshoot, though. I feel like 5700 XT on GDDR6 would be an overall better card for me in this performance bracket that I aimed for (3440x1440), and with much less fuss. (If comparing to the same upgrade path from a 280X)

Nov 3, 2004
If you are lucky to be near a Microcenter I think they are still doing deals on new AMD 7nm products and x570 Motherboards. I know yesterday they were $100 off if you bought a Ryzen 3000, RX 5700/5700XT and an x570 MB.

Not just x570, but also b450 and I assume x470

fleshconsumed

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2002
No.

Because AMD blowers suck. All NAVI reviews say they run hot and loud just like all the previous AMD blower cards. I like my computers near silent so blower is an automatic no go. I would need to buy and mount aftermarket cooler to fix the noise problem so AMD would have to half the price to compensate for additional cost and trouble of going through all the work of quieting the card.

Having said that I understand that not everybody cares about noise as much as I do, so it's an excellent deal for those who need to build new system (not just upgrade) and don't mind the noise.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
I'll buy the Ryzen 2/Navi APU the day it comes out.
What case are you using with that 2400G? And do you do any gaming with it? If so which games? Thanks for any info, as I am curious what your usage and experience with the APU is like. Reviewers do not spend enough time with them, and have various biases that make their pov less informative than someone that uses one as a daily driver.

And to not totally derail the thread, my kit will be here tomorrow. I will see how some of the canned benchmarks between it and a 2600 that runs up to 4.5GHz single thread and an undervolted overclocked Red Dragon 56 compare.

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
I still ain't ready to give AMD another shot. Besides, they don't a GPU better than what I have now.

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
What case are you using with that 2400G? And do you do any gaming with it? If so which games? Thanks for any info, as I am curious what your usage and experience with the APU is like. Reviewers do not spend enough time with them, and have various biases that make their pov less informative than someone that uses one as a daily driver.

And to not totally derail the thread, my kit will be here tomorrow. I will see how some of the canned benchmarks between it and a 2600 that runs up to 4.5GHz single thread and an undervolted overclocked Red Dragon 56 compare.

Rosewill microatx mini tower. Really good airflow. I use the Deepcool Gammaxx 200T on the 2400g and it stays in the mid 60s at full load. With a quiet power supply everything is dead silent until the cooler spins up, even then it's really low.

I only play a few games. Division 2 that came bundled with the processor actually runs a lot better than you'd think. I get mid 40s framerates at 1080 and mid/low settings (my memory probably helps too). I play some older games on Steam like Shadow of Mordor, Skyrim etc. and they run great.