Would you buy a DSLR with lenses off Craig's List?

fbrdphreak

Lifer
Apr 17, 2004
Curious on opinions here. I can buy this camera either refurbished from a trustworthy retailer with the kit lens and a case, or for about the same price (or maybe a bit cheaper) I can get it with an additional lens, used from a person on Craig's List.

I'm curious what concerns you would have over buying a camera from Craig's List.

To be clear, this is an unexpected (my P&S died and I need a camera for the work I do) expense and one that needs to be as low as reasonable, but also not one I need to have again in a year or two.

While I've got your eyes here, I'm curious, I assume there are repair options for DSLRs? So if it were to be dropped or otherwise damaged and the body required repair, could that be done?

TIA

996GT2

Diamond Member
Jun 23, 2005
Curious on opinions here. I can buy this camera either refurbished from a trustworthy retailer with the kit lens and a case, or for about the same price (or maybe a bit cheaper) I can get it with an additional lens, used from a person on Craig's List.

I'm curious what concerns you would have over buying a camera from Craig's List.

To be clear, this is an unexpected (my P&S died and I need a camera for the work I do) expense and one that needs to be as low as reasonable, but also not one I need to have again in a year or two.

While I've got your eyes here, I'm curious, I assume there are repair options for DSLRs? So if it were to be dropped or otherwise damaged and the body required repair, could that be done?

TIA

Yes, been there, done that. Bought and sold several DSLRs/lenses on Craigslist. Total is probably in the $4000-5000 range. Never had an issue.

What camera are you thinking of buying and what's the asking price? What lenses does it come with?

fbrdphreak

Lifer
Apr 17, 2004
Nikon D5000. Says it comes with "2 VR Nikon lenses" and a Nikon case. I'm assuming one would be a zoom lens, which would be rather helpful considering I just today experienced first hand how little an 18-55mm lens actually zooms.

They're asking $600, which I would go lower on. My concern is that (A) the post has poor grammar and little description, and (B) the nature of people in South FL. I would of course check out the camera and lenses, shoot some shots with it, etc.

Or I can buy a refurb with the kit lens for $530 before Bing cashback.

996GT2

Diamond Member
Jun 23, 2005
Nikon D5000. Says it comes with "2 VR Nikon lenses" and a Nikon case. I'm assuming one would be a zoom lens, which would be rather helpful considering I just today experienced first hand how little an 18-55mm lens actually zooms.

They're asking $600, which I would go lower on. My concern is that (A) the post has poor grammar and little description, and (B) the nature of people in South FL. I would of course check out the camera and lenses, shoot some shots with it, etc.

Or I can buy a refurb with the kit lens for $530 before Bing cashback.

I'm guessing one lens is an 18-55 VR and another is a 55-200 VR? The 55-200 is worth about $150-200 by itself, so figure that into the total value.

I'd say that if everything is in good condition and you can get the whole package for around $550, then go for it. Ask him to send you an unedited JPEG from the camera, and then open that file in Opanda iEXIF to see how many shutter clicks the camera has.

On another note...lol, if you think the 18-55 (a ~3x zoom) doesn't zoom very much, you should try a Tokina 11-16mm :p

fbrdphreak

Lifer
Apr 17, 2004
Yeah, today was my first hands-on with any DSLR. Quite the eye opener ;) But it confirmed that the D5000 is a good fit for me.

The Craig's List guy got back to me and it is sold anyhow. If the 55-200 is only a couple hundred bucks, I'm not missing out on much. I just don't ever see myself dropping $500+ on glass. ~$200, sure.

Thanks, I'm just going to go with the refurb. :)

996GT2

Diamond Member
Jun 23, 2005
Yeah, today was my first hands-on with any DSLR. Quite the eye opener ;) But it confirmed that the D5000 is a good fit for me.

The Craig's List guy got back to me and it is sold anyhow. If the 55-200 is only a couple hundred bucks, I'm not missing out on much. I just don't ever see myself dropping $500+ on glass. ~$200, sure.

Thanks, I'm just going to go with the refurb. :)

One lens that's worth getting for the D5000 is the 35mm f/1.8 AF-S. It's only $200 new and opens up a lot of creative possibilities (low-light, shallow depth of field) for you.

fbrdphreak

Lifer
Apr 17, 2004
Thanks for the tip. Am I correct in that the added low light capability is because of the low f-stop value? Lotsa learning ahead...

996GT2

Diamond Member
Jun 23, 2005
Thanks for the tip. Am I correct in that the added low light capability is because of the low f-stop value? Lotsa learning ahead...

Yes. Smaller number for the f-stop=larger aperture opening=more light can come in.

The common f/stops (in 1/3 stop increments) are:

f/1.2, 1.4, 1.6, 1.8, 2, 2.2, 2.5, 2.8, 3.2, 3.5, 4, 4.5, 5, 5.6, 6.3, 7.1, 8, 9, 10, 11, 13, 14, 16, 18, 20, 22

Going from one bolded number to the next (from left to right) represents a halving of light. So a lens at f/5.6 is only letting in (1/2)^3 or 1/8 as much light as a lens at f/2. This means you need to use an ISO that is much higher, a shutter speed that is much lower, or use a flash. Having a fast f-stop negates those things. That's why fast f-stops are very beneficial in low-light photography.

f/stop is also one of the 4 factors that determines depth of field...but I'll let you read up on that yourself ;)

Last edited:

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
f/stop is also one of the 4 factors that determines depth of field...but I'll let you read up on that yourself ;)

absolute aperture... subject distance... imager size...
that's only 3 :hmm:

996GT2

Diamond Member
Jun 23, 2005
absolute aperture... subject distance... imager size...
that's only 3 :hmm:

Absolute aperture... subject distance... imager size...and lens focal length

With everything else held constant (same camera, same subject distance), a 100mm f/2 is going to give more depth of field than a 200mm f/4 despite both lenses having the same absolute aperture opening of 50mm.

Last edited:

akugami

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2005
Not related to the camera or lens.

When buying or selling off of Craigslist please please use common sense. When buying or selling, never go to the person's house or have the person come to your house. Meet in a public place such as next to the security booth in a mall. At the very least, even if they snatch it off of you, there's usually a video camera in the mall so the guy will have his picture on some video camera. When the transaction is done, make sure you're not being followed. Have a friend with you regardless of whether you're buying or selling.

With all that said, I would have no problem buying or selling off of Craigslist, just make sure you inspect the product when buying.

angry hampster

Diamond Member
Dec 15, 2007
www.lexaphoto.com
I wouldn't buy from anyone who can't use proper grammar and spelling in their post. If they're that careless in posting, then how careless were they with the gear? ...if it's even rightfully theirs.

fbrdphreak

Lifer
Apr 17, 2004
Such was my concern about buying a camera from someone whose ad barely had any details and grammar was imperfect, if not terrible. And I'm always cautious with CL transactions.

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
There are no absolutes when buying on CL. Just like real life, use your common sense and you'll be fine.

I'm an avid CL'er, and I've spent tens of thousands of dollars buying/selling used camera equipment on there.

From real life experience:

1) If the guy has the camera, lens, battery, but is missing the charger...95% chance it's stolen.

2) When selling, protect yourself by meeting in a public place and never disclosing your address. CL sales are "as-is", but some buyers might not understand that.

3) This should be obvious, but it's cash only (buying or selling). Cash is also a great bargaining tool if you're a buyer.

Dubb

Platinum Member
Mar 25, 2003
Just saw a BNIB Nikon D3s on CL for <$1500. "need to sell it ASAP"

I sent him an email saying I'd buy it if he sent me the serial # and a scan of his receipt. :awe::D

Dubb

Platinum Member
Mar 25, 2003
Just saw a BNIB Nikon D3s on CL for <$1500. "need to sell it ASAP"

I sent him an email saying I'd buy it if he sent me the serial # and a scan of his receipt. :awe::D

Well, he sent me the serial #, a bunch of pictures, and says he will send the receipt soon. Says he has some debts to pay off. Pictures sorta look like they were taken by someone who knows what they were doing. Sorta.

...but he's also 800 miles away and wants paypal to ship it. Oh, and the name attached to his email is "horse lovers"

Half of it screams scam/stolen, the other half sorta seems possible. Sorta. Ok, not really.

randomlinh

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
linh.wordpress.com
Well, he sent me the serial #, a bunch of pictures, and says he will send the receipt soon. Says he has some debts to pay off. Pictures sorta look like they were taken by someone who knows what they were doing. Sorta.

...but he's also 800 miles away and wants paypal to ship it. Oh, and the name attached to his email is "horse lovers"

Half of it screams scam/stolen, the other half sorta seems possible. Sorta. Ok, not really.

If he knows what he's doing, he knows it can sell it for $3500 and someone would still snap it up fast.

Feb 19, 2001
never done it actually. always done my transactions on POTN forum. I assume if you're serious enough about photography, you'll be chatting away on one of the forums.

Edit: although I just found out my friend sold his 1D2 and 16-35/2.8 for some ridiculously low prices. shame he didn't contact me!

huddy

Jun 28, 2008
One lens that's worth getting for the D5000 is the 35mm f/1.8 AF-S. It's only $200 new and opens up a lot of creative possibilities (low-light, shallow depth of field) for you.

Great lens. I have one of those, and a 55-200 VR. I'm still saving for a 10-24 or 11-16 to complete the collection. I like the 35mm f/1.8 AF-S because you can pretty much adjust your picture composition with just a few steps forward or back if need be. It's easily the more used lens of my two.

syee

Oct 6, 2001

Just out of curiosity - what do you do with the S/N? Is there a place (well, other than with the local cop shop) to check the status of a camera to see whether it's stolen?

I've bought most of my camera gear off CL (and sold a bit too) and to be honest, I've never gotten a receipt with any of the stuff I buy, nor have I provided it when I sold it. It's the same with buying stuff of POTN or Fred Miranda. I've never seen the receipt on any of those purchases.

Although I'm morally opposed to supporting thieves who try make a quick buck fencing stolen goods, I probably wouldn't pass up a good deal just because they didn't have a receipt.

fbrdphreak

Lifer
Apr 17, 2004
I see that POTN is a Canon-specific forum. Anything agnostic or Nikon-specific? I'd like to find a place that has good trading boards...

996GT2

Diamond Member
Jun 23, 2005
I see that POTN is a Canon-specific forum. Anything agnostic or Nikon-specific? I'd like to find a place that has good trading boards...

POTN occassionally has some Nikon stuff on the for sale forums.

FM forums specializes in Canon/Nikon and other brands, so check that out. You need to pay for a membership in order to post "for sale" ads on FM, but you don't need to pay to buy stuff.

Dubb

Platinum Member
Mar 25, 2003
Just out of curiosity - what do you do with the S/N? Is there a place (well, other than with the local cop shop) to check the status of a camera to see whether it's stolen?

I've bought most of my camera gear off CL (and sold a bit too) and to be honest, I've never gotten a receipt with any of the stuff I buy, nor have I provided it when I sold it. It's the same with buying stuff of POTN or Fred Miranda. I've never seen the receipt on any of those purchases.

Although I'm morally opposed to supporting thieves who try make a quick buck fencing stolen goods, I probably wouldn't pass up a good deal just because they didn't have a receipt.

What I've been told in the past is that Nikon keeps a database of gear that's reported stolen. If it then shows up for service/repair, they can help sort out what to do with it, or at least refuse to service it.

I called Nikon and gave them the serial, it wasn't in their database as stolen, though they said it probably wasn't a USA camera.

Basically I need enough to convince me that he's legit, and an original receipt would go a long way towards getting me to believe his story. Camera's only been out a few months - anyone with any sense would still have it. I don't certainly don't expect receipts for older gear sold by people who obviously know how it works. But this guy's still acting shady. I figure at worst I'm forcing a sleazebag to waste some time.

Recent activity:

can't send the receipt because he doesn't have a scanner with him and the hotel he's at won't let him use theirs. Will send it with the camera. I said a cell phone pic would be fine if it's readable, and he got all pissy, saying he had a bunch of other people willing to send paypal tomorrow, and that "im 66 i am old fashion im not using cell phones"

Also tried to get him to talk about photography a bit, just to see if he knew enough basics to be convincing. Response? "im not here for chating"