Would you buy 6850k, if you already have 980x?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Timmah!

Golden Member
Jul 24, 2010
Highly unlikely it will matter, it's luck of the draw. You're just as likely to get a good 6800k as you are a 6850k. There will be good silicon and bad silicon for both. and since their stock clocks are both so conservative it's not like they are actually bothering to bin them, there would be little reason to.

Do they not bin them even cause of the 40/28 PCI-E lane thing? Or do all the CPUs come by default as 40 lane, then Intel basically "degrades" them into 28 lane parts to create 28 lane 6800k´s?

deustroop

Golden Member
Dec 12, 2010
I upgraded on the basis of a smaller margin, from a 990x to the 6850K at stock. (My posts are still on line).

And what do I experience from that ? Yahoo, let'er rip.

Any process that took a while to complete is now done more quickly and I notice even minor processes--closing windows, scrolling web pages, etc. are quicker. Did I need the upgrade ? Of course not. My gtx 970 blew Doom off the monitor. I upgraded because I could: it was two years since the last upgrade, I had the cash, I wanted the faster ssd ports in a newer MB and the Win 10 freebee was ending .
Like most of us here, I am merely an enthusiast, where the principle is simple--upgrade or feel passed by !

Last edited:

Timmah!

Golden Member
Jul 24, 2010
I upgraded on the basis of a smaller margin, from a 990x to the 6850K at stock. (My posts are still on line).

And what do I experience from that ? Yahoo, let'er rip.

Any process that took a while to complete is now done more quickly and I notice even minor processes--closing windows, scrolling web pages, etc. are quicker. Did I need the upgrade ? Of course not. My gtx 970 blew Doom off the monitor. I upgraded because I could: it was two years since the last upgrade, I had the cash, I wanted the faster ssd ports in a newer MB and the Win 10 freebee was ending .
Like most of us here, I am merely an enthusiast, where the principle is simple--upgrade or feel passed by !

Thanks for your input. We are in the same boat i guess. Good to know there is actually visible speed-up in computer´s snapiness when doing the upgrade.

Talking about Win10, i already upgraded from my Win7 on this machine - when i swap mobo and CPU, will i be able to keep it? Or i will need new Windows installation?

I am keeping my discs, but planning to get new SSD as well and migrate my system disk on it - on top of swapping mobo, CPU, RAM and adding new GPU or 2... will the break things up?

deustroop

Golden Member
Dec 12, 2010
I was always able to install my new Asus board and Intel cpu on an existing Asus \Intel\Windows OS installation. Windows would boot nicely. I assumed there were enough similarities going on that it was not necessary to fresh install the OS for each motherboard and cpu upgrade.

Is Win 10 as robust as previous OSes, viz., Win 95 + ? Probably.

How similar is the new computer to the existing install and are the boards both from the same brand ?

There's a chance replacing the current set up with a new board and cpu will work depending on these factors (subject to anyone who has actually tried it ;) ) but a fresh install is always recommended. It will leave a smaller footprint on the disk, e.g., no Win.old files, and installs the latest application drivers and software upgrades.( Here the 10 install downloaded the latest GTX drivers . Like huh ? How secure is that ? I am not happy :thumbsdown:.)

Anticipating your particular situation of fulsome upgrades, I suggest you do a fresh install of Windows 10 on the new computer and add the peripherals later.

Save your data somewhere else, burn the iso and load'er up.

If you have more than one drive, then as your back-up you should have a good bootable clone on the lesser drive. Look at a disk application called Casper.