Would you be OK with work camps for illegal immigrants?

SandEagle

Lifer
Aug 4, 2007
Lets say the government is considering establishing work camps in the south of the country, where illegal migrant workers will receive shelter, food and medical care. In exchange, illegal migrants would perform manual labor outside the camps, but would not earn a salary.

They would stay at the camp until their asylum claims are decided, which could take months or years.

Would you be okay with this?

Thread moved to P&N due to the nature of the discussion - DrPizza, Anandtech Moderator.

Last edited by a moderator:

DanTMWTMP

Lifer
Oct 7, 2001
I actually like that idea. For one, it creates legitimate jobs for locals to create such an infrastructure for that (construction, teachers, trainers, techs, nurses, etc etc etc..). Local companies can have some sort of contract with these work camps. It also gives our local industry a legitimate workforce to compete against factories overseas. It keeps the money flow localized. Also; bordertowns should always be areas of trade of all types (business, merchants, goods, industrial, cultural, tourism).

I doubt this will happen, but I can be hopeful. I hope we can have some sort of agreement with Mexico too .. sigh :(

This thread will turn very hot very quick. :p

Oct 27, 2007
Ever heard of human rights? Anyone who thinks this is a good idea is insane.

Edit - this is assuming they are prisoners in the camp, which is implied with the sentence "They would stay at the camp until their asylum claims are decided, which could take months or years." If they are free to leave at any time, then it's not really a human rights violation, but still seems a little strange.

Last edited:

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
No, I want them OUT. I dont care where they go or what they do when they are gone. So long as they stay here I will be displeased with them.

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
Ever heard of human right? Anyone who thinks this is a good idea is insane.

Edit - this is assuming they are prisoners in the camp, which is implied with the sentence "They would stay at the camp until their asylum claims are decided, which could take months or years." If they are free to leave at any time, then it's not really a human rights violation, but still seems a little strange.

I guess I'm insane. I wouldn't cry if there was a death penalty for illegal border crossing.

Oct 27, 2007
No, I want them OUT. I dont care where they go or what they do when they are gone. So long as they stay here I will be displeased with them.
Well the OP is talking about putting them in the concentra.... err work camps until their asylum was worked out, so they'd work for the state until it was decided whether they would be allowed in the country (in which they're legal immigrants) or not (in which case they're deported). At least that's how I interpreted it o_O

theflyingpig

Banned
Mar 9, 2008
Ever heard of human right? Anyone who thinks this is a good idea is insane.

Read the sentence again. They are not prisoners. Everyone knows this.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I guess I'm insane. I wouldn't cry if there was a death penalty for illegal border crossing.
Damn, I thought I was a hard ass.
I just want them out. I'd fully support rounding them up on busses and shipping them out by the hundreds.
But I dont wanna kill them or beat them or rape them or anything else while they are here.

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
I just want them out. I'd fully support rounding them up on busses and shipping them out by the hundreds.
But I dont wanna kill them or beat them or rape them or anything else while they are here.

It's really a simple concept. Don't wanna get shot, don't sneak over the border.

rise

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2004
well, where's the fun in that?

Leros

Lifer
Jul 11, 2004
I have no problem with things like that. I've been looking at the number of prisoners in this country and thinking about how much labor they could be doing.

iGas

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2009
Who would get the free slave labor?

Civil War was over unfair trading & business practice.

Newbian

Lifer
Aug 24, 2008
Ahh yes, lets place one of the most hated groups in one area so people know where to target.

iGas

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2009
I have no problem with things like that. I've been looking at the number of prisoners in this country and thinking about how much labor they could be doing.
There is a reason that the US have such a large portion of the population in prison as free labour.

The trick is to get to know the right people so that you can get the free labour/slave.

iGas

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2009
It's not slave labor. It's a really simple law to not break.
Please educate me!

Didn't the American invaded scores of its neighbors and breaks all kind of international laws?

In that case you should serve in a labour camp in Afghanistan.

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
Please educate me!

Didn't the American invaded scores of its neighbors and breaks all kind of international laws?

Way to compare apples and battleships.

Ronstang

Lifer
Jul 8, 2000
The only holding camps I would be OK with would be the ones to house them while their deportation back to wherever they came from can be secured. The countries they come from should either be sent a bill for their expenses or have their foreign aid reduced to compensate. It is time for the stupid shit our government does to STOP.

TruePaige

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2006
Please educate me!

I would never, for any reason, go into Afghanistan.

Never been there, why would I be in a camp there?

I read the Kite Runner, country sucks. ;)

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
I'm sure this is giving some corporations a hard on. Free labor!
Now we can past that pesky minimum wage.

Leros

Lifer
Jul 11, 2004
There is a reason that the US have such a large portion of the population in prison as free labour.

The trick is to get to know the right people so that you can get the free labour/slave.

My undertanding is that we don't use the prisoners for labor. Some prisons have voluntary work programs where they get paid. How about some mass forced unpaid labor? Instead of being a financial drain on society, they can at least have some input.