Would upgrading my P4 2.8 really do me good?

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
So I've got somewhat of a frankenstein of a system going. My mobo/graphics card are new(relative to my old parts), P4C800-E deluxe and GeForce 6800 respectively, but my CPU and RAM are older, a P4 2.8 (400 fsb I THINK, COULD be 533, but I doubt it) and 1gb of DDR333. Now, would upgrading my CPU and/or RAM really give my computer any noticible performance difference? I do game, finished Doom 3 and it's expansion, FarCry, and now working on Quake 4. I'm basically wondering if getting a new CPU and some new RAM would allow my 6800 to open up a bit. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks guys.

stevty2889

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2003
My recomendation would be to get some PC3200 DDR, and overclock the CPU. A lot of newer games will benifit from 2gb of ram, but your 6800 will still be the biggest limiter for new games, if you like to play with maxed settings, or resolutions higher that 1280x1024.

anandtechrocks

Dec 7, 2004
I agree with Stevty2889 as far as the RAM goes. Get some 3200 DDR. Personally I would not buy a new processor. I'm pretty sure that chip has 533 MHz FSB, and if it is then it is a Northwood core (better than the newer Prescott cores I think) and if you buy another HS and fan, I think you could OC it very nicely (easily past 3.2 GHz). That ASUS board has a good reputation for overclocking so take the plunge and let us know if you need any help.

Shenkoa

Golden Member
Jul 27, 2004
Games these days are more GPU limited, what you have may not be a top contender but you have to ask yoursef is spending the money on a new proc/mobo and RAM would be worth it, since it would ultimately lead to spending on other things as well.

What resolution do you play your games at?

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
Originally posted by: Shenkoa
Games these days are more GPU limited, what you have may not be a top contender but you have to ask yoursef is spending the money on a new proc/mobo and RAM would be worth it, since it would ultimately lead to spending on other things as well.

What resolution do you play your games at?

Right now Quake 4 is at 1280x1024 and "High Quality" - it runs perfectly.

Doom 3 runs at 1024x768 with all other options maxed and it runs perfectly.

Like you said, I'm wondering if it's really worth it at this point because if I upgrade my RAM/CPU I'll feel like upgrading my graphics card. Maybe I'll just hold out and buy a whole new system in a year or two. Thanks for the input guys.

quackerww

Sep 18, 2005
If its not broke dont fix it...
Ram does a body good... And other select quotes from saturday morning tv....