Question Would this older ATX case be adequate for a modern build?

Turbonium

Platinum Member
Mar 15, 2003
I have an older (~10 year old) ATX case (with the PSU at the top/rear, as opposed to the bottom). I believe it's an Antec Sonata Series SOLO II.

Current relevant specs inside it are: i5 3570 + 670 GTX (everything running at default speeds).

I'm thinking of getting a modern CPU and something like an RTX 4070 when it comes out (and the TDP it comes with, which I know is speculation/rumours at this point).

Anyway, would an older PC case like this suffice? I want my temps to be on the lower end of things (for air-cooled), just for component longevity, particularly with my GPU, given I tend to use my systems for several years (clearly). I mean, I'd really like to reuse this case, but if getting a more modern case would mean significantly lower temps, I might go that route.

Also: note that I'm assuming a modern higher end GPU will even fit inside this case. If it won't, let me know (though I will for sure do my research beforehand, regardless).

Last edited:

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
I have an older (~10 year old) ATX case (with the PSU at the top/rear, as opposed to the bottom). I believe it's an Antec Sonata Series SOLO II.

Current relevant specs inside it are: i5 3570 + 670 GTX (everything running at default speeds).

I'm thinking of getting a modern CPU and something like an RTX 4070 when it comes out (and the TDP it comes with, which I know is speculation/rumours at this point).

Anyway, would an older PC case like this suffice? I want my temps to be on the lower end of things (for air-cooled), just for component longevity, particularly with my GPU, given I tend to use my systems for several years (clearly). I mean, I'd really like to re-use this case, but if getting a more modern case would mean significantly lower temps, I might go that route.

Also: note that I'm assuming a modern higher end GPU will even fit inside this case. If it won't, let me know (though I will for sure do my research beforehand, regardless).

The main thing with cases (apart from obvious things like 'does it have enough bays for optical/fixed storage') is clearance for say graphics cards and processor heatsinks. Googling that case name brings up at least two results that give those figures. The only extra factor with regard to the next range of nvidia cards is extra clearance so their new power connector + cable doesn't catch fire. I don't have much to advise on that front, I'm sure others here do.

I've once again been flirting with a major upgrade and I've pretty much ruled out my 2010 era case because it doesn't have enough clearance for the beefier heatsink I have in mind.

One other reason why I've been erring on the side of replacing my old case is USB ports. USB-C on the front would be nice, but USB 3.x is almost a must. I make do with USB-HDD 3.0 cables already plugged in to the back ports, a USB 3.0 extension lead to plug in a superspeed flash drive. I've been considering making do with my current case and replacing one of the external 3.5" bays with a front that includes 3.0 ports, but availability of this kind of item seems limited.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
The main thing with cases (apart from obvious things like 'does it have enough bays for optical/fixed storage') is clearance for say graphics cards and processor heatsinks. Googling that case name brings up at least two results that give those figures. The only extra factor with regard to the next range of nvidia cards is extra clearance so their new power connector + cable doesn't catch fire. I don't have much to advise on that front, I'm sure others here do.

I've once again been flirting with a major upgrade and I've pretty much ruled out my 2010 era case because it doesn't have enough clearance for the beefier heatsink I have in mind.

One other reason why I've been erring on the side of replacing my old case is USB ports. USB-C on the front would be nice, but USB 3.x is almost a must. I make do with USB-HDD 3.0 cables already plugged in to the back ports, a USB 3.0 extension lead to plug in a superspeed flash drive. I've been considering making do with my current case and replacing one of the external 3.5" bays with a front that includes 3.0 ports, but availability of this kind of item seems limited.

I'm thinking seriously about doing a new build in an old Coolermaster HAF932 case. It gas plenty of room for the big Noctua air coolers...it has a slightly smaller one in there now, but it's not big enough for the newer processors. Like you, I'm looking for a front panel add-on that will give me USB 3.0 or better. Don't really care about USB-C.
They're out there...but I don't know what kind of quality they are.

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
^ I've been using something similar to the following, for around 8 years... though it's a 3.5" sled and I mounted it in a 5.25" to 3.5" adapter because in that case I have a 3.5" card reader in the floppy bay.

Below is the box pic for mine, slightly different, it has a metal sled. I put a (credit card sized) refrigerator magnet over it when not in use, to keep dust out.s-l500-2.jpg

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
Nothing new here, except my sense of camaraderie with "build-it" veterans of good common sense.

If you have a HAF 932, I would say it's a good candidate that invites some degree of subtle case-modding to achieve everything you'd want.

For me, I favor Coolermaster Stacker 832 or similar, and there were a few distinct submodels. I chose the model which has the inner hinged plastic frame for various fan configurations, and vent holes under the CPU area of the motherboard pan. I have enough room to accommodate a ThermaRight Le Grand Macho cooler, but I could easily outfit the case-front with a 280mm radiator assembly of an AIO. I don't think I"d take the time or trouble for "custom" water-cooling.

I had one Coolermaster Stacker 832 since 2005, purchased brand-new. It has been used for about four computer builds successively. Last year, I acquired a second one -- absolutely identical in every way -- for a twin of the first computer with spare parts I'd acquired.

If I upgrade to Alder Lake or more recent hardware, I'm likely to just rebuild one of these systems.

Turbonium

Platinum Member
Mar 15, 2003
The main thing with cases (apart from obvious things like 'does it have enough bays for optical/fixed storage') is clearance for say graphics cards and processor heatsinks. Googling that case name brings up at least two results that give those figures.

Antec Sonata Series SOLO II
+
Noctua NH-D15

I can't figure out, conclusively, if the above Antec case would properly house this small behemoth of a CPU cooler, short of actually trying it.

(Seems to me though it will just barely fit?)

This is all assuming it will even work on the mATX board I selected to begin with (Asus Pro B760M-CT-CSM), which Noctua says it only sort of does, which I'm not sure what the meaning of is. Does it mean I only can use one of the two fans?

"compatible with certain restrictions...

...The cooler overhangs the top PCIe x16 slot."

Last edited:

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011

Your case isn't listed. I'd probably find a similar design case that is listed and compare dimensions.

I found this (though it doesn't say 'sonata' in the product name here):

which mentions:

"180mm (CPU HSF)"

HSF specs:
"Height (with fan): 165 mm"

Turbonium

Platinum Member
Mar 15, 2003

Your case isn't listed. I'd probably find a similar design case that is listed and compare dimensions.

I found this (though it doesn't say 'sonata' in the product name here):

which mentions:

"180mm (CPU HSF)"

HSF specs:
"Height (with fan): 165 mm"

That helps. Tight squeeze.

Check out my post above though (I edited it); seems like the motherboard I have will have issues with the NH-D15. An overhang is an overhang, meaning no GPU can be installed, correct? Unless of course the overhang is "over" the width of the video card, which I very much doubt it will be (it can't be given it would be going through the wall of the case, logically).

Looks like I have to get an NH-D15S after all.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
I can't find your board in their compatibility list. In your situation I'd browse similar Asus boards and try to find the nearest design physically and use that as a means of comparison. You're probably correct though.

Turbonium

Platinum Member
Mar 15, 2003
I can't find your board in their compatibility list. In your situation I'd browse similar Asus boards and try to find the nearest design physically and use that as a means of comparison. You're probably correct though.
ASUSPro B760M-CT-CSMcompatible with certain restrictions (see comment)
  • The cooler overhangs the top PCIe x16 slot.
  • LGA 1700 mounting-kit included since 12/2021
For coolers bought before this date:
NM-i17xx-MP83 mounting-kit required (free of charge)