Would Skyrim make sense if I never played any previous Elder Scrolls games?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Majcric

Golden Member
May 3, 2011
Even though Oblivion was the first Elder Scolls game I bought, Skyrim was the first I ever really got into and enjoyed. OP give Skyrim a shot it has beautiful scenary and decent RPG elements.

Aug 11, 2008
I could not even tell you what the story is of Oblivion and I put in probably 80 hours when it came out. Skyrim is a completely different story, though some of the guilds are still alive, but they have new stories of their own. Also, Skyrim is probably the first game that I ever spent the time to play through a second time. According to Steam I'm at 141 hours.

Strangely for me, I loved the first play through. Definitely one of top 5 favorite games, bit I could not really get into a second play through. I may still go back to it though.

runzwithsizorz

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2002
Probably better story than sky rim, but ruined by the levelling system.
You can change leveling with mods. Never played an RPG until Oblivian and now into RPG'S big time. I never modded a game either. May not be important to you, but I discovered I LOVE to mod Elder Scrolls games...almost as much fun as playing them.

The Wife

mmntech

Lifer
Sep 20, 2007
I'd say play Oblivion before playing Skyrim, or it turns into an exercise in frustration. I forgot that items break in that game.

I actually did enjoy Skyrim a lot more than Oblivion. Just like the settings and themes a lot more. All TES games are self contained, so you don't really need to understand the lore to get them. IIRC, TES:V takes places over a century after the events of Oblivion, so you're not even playing as the same character.

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
Strangely for me, I loved the first play through. Definitely one of top 5 favorite games, bit I could not really get into a second play through. I may still go back to it though.

The biggest reason to play a second time was that I love my saved games after the first time. I wanted to play the DLC so started over from scratch. I did skip through a lot of dialogue as since I already knew the story.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
i hated oblivion and morrowind, so my vote is to play skyrim only.

morrowind i couldn't get into, ESPECIALLY since you have to run between towns. F that.

oblivion, you can gimp your character HARD if you don't do things right. i beat the game at level 4, which i thought was dumb.

Wallywaiting

Oct 24, 2013
I'm the nerd thats going to tell you Morrowind is THE game to play.

The world is beyond unique among fantasy settings.

The Metaphysics of Morrowind.

The graphics, ui, and gameplay may appear dated but in reality this it is the best rpg of all time. I honestly think oblivion is trash in comparison. However Skyrim is pretty good.

Might be sad but I tried to play this game and I couldn't deal with the poor graphics and voice acting and music! After playing all of our modern games I just got spoiled I guess! I felt kind of shallow not playing it cuz of appearances ;), I'm sure it was amazing for it's time though! Maybe some day I'll tough it out!

Wallywaiting

Oct 24, 2013
Also the endless mods on skyrim are amazing! Coupled with the fact it as almost nothing to do with the games before as far as the story goes (I've played oblivion), and an amazing storyline with endless quest options and fun material to play with, I would highly recommend this game! It is one of my favorites of all time.

thespyder

Golden Member
Aug 31, 2006
As others have indicated, you don't "Need" to play anything to understand Skyrim. It is quite a stand alone game.

From My experience (and I have played them all), a lot of people will suggest that Morrowwind is the place to start. No doubt it is an excellent game, but the graphics are quite dated. If you care about that sort of thing, you might be disappointed.

Oblivion was loads of fun to play and I would recommend it. Only problem with it that I know is the whole "The world levels up with you", which means that if you make some poor choices, you can end up with a nerfed character and be unable to complete the game. It also means that you can finish the game at level 2 if you so choose and then things get crazy because all of the "Tough" end game stuff is level 2 with you and it becomes easy. With all of that said, if you are looking to suck huge amounts of time in a game, Oblivion will do it for you.

One final note: The games, all of them, are quite open ended and you can wander FAR off the story line and never miss it. You can literally suck dozens or hundreds of hours into it and never get close to the end. If that is your hope and expectation, Welcome to Elder Scrolls. You will spend a long time here.

Wallywaiting

Oct 24, 2013
As others have indicated, you don't "Need" to play anything to understand Skyrim. It is quite a stand alone game.

From My experience (and I have played them all), a lot of people will suggest that Morrowwind is the place to start. No doubt it is an excellent game, but the graphics are quite dated. If you care about that sort of thing, you might be disappointed.

Oblivion was loads of fun to play and I would recommend it. Only problem with it that I know is the whole "The world levels up with you", which means that if you make some poor choices, you can end up with a nerfed character and be unable to complete the game. It also means that you can finish the game at level 2 if you so choose and then things get crazy because all of the "Tough" end game stuff is level 2 with you and it becomes easy. With all of that said, if you are looking to suck huge amounts of time in a game, Oblivion will do it for you.

One final note: The games, all of them, are quite open ended and you can wander FAR off the story line and never miss it. You can literally suck dozens or hundreds of hours into it and never get close to the end. If that is your hope and expectation, Welcome to Elder Scrolls. You will spend a long time here.

This is the best post here haha it basically sums up elder scrolls and the question perfectly! Well done sir!

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I tried playing Morrowind last night. Forgot how bad the controls were. No wonder I only ever beat it one time. Must have started 20 games.

They need to import it into a newer engine. The story and culture is actually superior.

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
Oblivion has to be like $1 or something ridiculous by now (okay maybe $5 lol).

Get it, but before playing it get the Nexus mod thing and the most popular graphics mods along with the most popular fixes to the leveling system, and of course the big bugfix patch.

Oblivion Vanilla is just inexcusable now that PCs are vastly more powerful, and as shown by the design decisions of the preceding and following games : the 'global' leveling system was a horrible un-loved failure.

I know when I'm playing an RPG, especially before I reach godlike he-man levels, that I love that I can theoretically go into a very dangerous area full of super tough enemies and find some awesome loot or have an epic series of battles, but all of that comes with the very likely possibility of simply being maimed hardcore by enemies that are vastly more powerful compared to my level 3 or whatever n00b. In Oblivion, being a level 2 and hulk smashing a Daedric Lord or whatever was insanely stupid.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Oblivion has to be like $1 or something ridiculous by now (okay maybe $5 lol).

Get it, but before playing it get the Nexus mod thing and the most popular graphics mods along with the most popular fixes to the leveling system, and of course the big bugfix patch.

Oblivion Vanilla is just inexcusable now that PCs are vastly more powerful, and as shown by the design decisions of the preceding and following games : the 'global' leveling system was a horrible un-loved failure.

I know when I'm playing an RPG, especially before I reach godlike he-man levels, that I love that I can theoretically go into a very dangerous area full of super tough enemies and find some awesome loot or have an epic series of battles, but all of that comes with the very likely possibility of simply being maimed hardcore by enemies that are vastly more powerful compared to my level 3 or whatever n00b. In Oblivion, being a level 2 and hulk smashing a Daedric Lord or whatever was insanely stupid.

nexus mod manager and 10 gigs of textures is awfully nice.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

there was some bandit cave/hideout in Skyrim, I think it might be near the dragon temple, actually, that I did not discover until well after the main mission and the the major side missions, and I had attained my dragon-summoning sword stabby god status.

I drop my shadow badass horse and like FUCK YEAH! I AM GOING TO EXPLORE THIS RATHOLE AND MURDER WHATEVER COMES BEFORE ME--FUCK YOU ALL!

So I jump into this hole.

I proceed to get ambushed by a dozen bandits. they beat me down to 20% or so before I can finish them off, backed into several corners and jumping behind tables. I'm like, fuck yeah! Fuck you all!

then their buddies return, after their plunder, to eat a tasty meal.

The meal is not prepared...all their pals are murdered at their feet...these guys aren't happy. SO then they mob and spawn like bastards and push me back into the lowest point of their lair...which connects to dungeon/underworld terrain.

then those underworld creatures--shit, I don't remember now, but those damn goblin thingies--start to spawn everywhere and get all stabby with anything in front of them. My God warrior is beat into a bloody pulp--max armor and weapons, deadric two-hand sword that I'm just running around killing shit with. Fuck 'em all.

anyway, Skyrim somehow managed to create those spaces that, even well into the end, your powers suddenly became limited, your levels were matched, and you were forced to not be super derpy. Had these fuckers ambushed me above ground, it would have been no problem: If I got tired of bashing their heads into rocks, just call the dragon to watch him toss them about.

Red Hawk

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2011
In answer to the question: Totally. In fact, my only experience prior to playing Skyrim was playing just a couple hours of Oblivion (for those who played, the game lost my interest at the first Oblivion Gate). I got Skyrim a few months after it came out, and loved it. After loving on Skyrim, I gave Oblivion a second shot -- still couldn't get into it. So you can definitely get into Skyrim, I'd say even if past TES games turned you off.

Wallywaiting

Oct 24, 2013
there was some bandit cave/hideout in Skyrim, I think it might be near the dragon temple, actually, that I did not discover until well after the main mission and the the major side missions, and I had attained my dragon-summoning sword stabby god status.

I drop my shadow badass horse and like FUCK YEAH! I AM GOING TO EXPLORE THIS RATHOLE AND MURDER WHATEVER COMES BEFORE ME--FUCK YOU ALL!

So I jump into this hole.

I proceed to get ambushed by a dozen bandits. they beat me down to 20% or so before I can finish them off, backed into several corners and jumping behind tables. I'm like, fuck yeah! Fuck you all!

then their buddies return, after their plunder, to eat a tasty meal.

The meal is not prepared...all their pals are murdered at their feet...these guys aren't happy. SO then they mob and spawn like bastards and push me back into the lowest point of their lair...which connects to dungeon/underworld terrain.

then those underworld creatures--shit, I don't remember now, but those damn goblin thingies--start to spawn everywhere and get all stabby with anything in front of them. My God warrior is beat into a bloody pulp--max armor and weapons, deadric two-hand sword that I'm just running around killing shit with. Fuck 'em all.

anyway, Skyrim somehow managed to create those spaces that, even well into the end, your powers suddenly became limited, your levels were matched, and you were forced to not be super derpy. Had these fuckers ambushed me above ground, it would have been no problem: If I got tired of bashing their heads into rocks, just call the dragon to watch him toss them about.

This story sounds like a ski bum telling everybody in the bar what sweet runs he did after a powder day haha, but still interesting! Dramatic ;)

thespyder

Golden Member
Aug 31, 2006

I usually try to play some form of Mage in most Role Play games. In Oblivion, I would spend hours and hours leveling up my casting abilities. then I would go out in the wilderness and get owned by some tiger or other normal animal that was an equivalent level, but really was meant for a tough he-man warrior type with equivalent items. It was stupid. I mean I get I am a terrible player, but really?

I also get what you are saying that a world should be full of varying levels of difficulty and challenge. Being able to sneak into a Dragon's Den and lift some choice items when you really have zero chance to defeat the monster can be fun. Then to come back later and slaughter the beast with your godlike powers, just because, makes it all the more fun.

If the gamescape isn't variable such that there are easy areas and hard areas, it just doesn't challenge you. When Oblivion came out, a friend of mine told me "Don't level up. I just beat the game at level 2 and the end boss was a pushover". What a travesty.

I do remember playing Daggerfall though. I thought the level design was inspired for the day. To actually have a multi-level and dimensional dungeon was unheard of at that point. And to exit the dungeon and have it snowing? Weather changes? Day/night cycles? Awesomeness. I wish I could go back to that point and re-experience the wonder again.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I can't imagine playing through all that. Probably a thousand hours.

depends on how you want to play. 3, 4, and 5 have relatively short main quests assuming you dont screw around. 3 is probably the longest cuz theres many steps. 4 has you doing favors for each towns mayor to get their support so it takes a little while, and I seem to recall you have to go through at least two oblivion gates, but those can be quite fast.
5 can be very quick if you ignore the war and all the guilds and hold quests.