Would republicans of yesterday hate republicans of today?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

berzerker60

Golden Member
Jul 18, 2012
Keep in mind that Barack Obama is basically a 1990s-era Republican, with the notable exception of his skin color. Obamacare was a 90s-era Republican proposal, he's aggressive in diplomacy and national security, deports more illegals than anyone else, hasn't done a thing to scale back the drug war, put Medicare and SS on the table for deficit talks, continually extended the largely unsustainable Bush tax cuts.

However, since he's 1) a Democrat, and 2) black with a funny name, everything he says or does MUST be portrayed as Satan shitting on America, which has left Republicans with the position of getting way way further right than their own party of 20 years ago.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Hate? I don't know.

Would many of them feel abject shame and embarrassment? Absolutely.

Last edited:

Steeplerot

Lifer
Mar 29, 2004
However, since he's 1) a Democrat, and 2) plays a black mans instrument (saxaphone), everything he says or does MUST be portrayed as Satan shitting on America, which has left Republicans with the position of getting way way further right than their own party of 20 years ago.

Republicans were already radicalized like this in the 90s, Obama's demonization is just a repeat of the Clinton years Foxnews/talk radio fed bullshit like: "OMG AMERICA IS GONNA END -WE HAVE A DEMONCRAT IN OFFICE!!

You have to go back before the John Bircher talk radio cult started in the 80s or the rise of it's bastard child extremist right-wing propaganda offspring -Foxnews. (same exact message, but more exposure)

You can see a clear line before the mid 1980s as your average Republican nowadays would be denounced as a dangerous radical Bircher.

We must have a well informed Democracy or we will be lost. These folks are too wrapped up in a well thought out world of carefully crafted propaganda to bother with reality, some have their egos wrapped into it. You are dealing with fundamentalist radicals now.

These folks are the damaged types that KNOW the end is nigh.

Good theory but you are a "Democrat satan Prez" late.

None of the rights stories are new, they are literally rehashing the 1990s, some of us are old enough to be VERY bored and wish the right could have a bit of creativity in propaganda for once.

-or get some kind of sense of irony, but then I would be so ashamed I would crawl in a hole for showing myself to be so arrogant and naive to turn on my countrymen so easily as they have.

There will be a cultural backlash for a radicalized older population. You can see examples in places like West Germany in the late 60s with the whole "Under the robe - the musty smell of a thousand years" (the 1000 year reich)

Last edited:

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
And now we are 30 posts in and still not one person has rebutted any of this besides using name calling... color me shocked.

It is an opinion essay in the 1st post.

I'm ambivalent about it.

I prefer it when people provide links to the things they quote in the forums.