Would it be worth it to me to upgrade?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

z1ggy

Lifer
May 17, 2008
Hey gplracer.. to just touch on a few things for you.. Goin back a few posts to your quesiton about the chipsets. From my questions that I have asked and what I have read..There really is no huge difference between the newer chipsets. However...If you only plan on running only one gpu..the p45 are the better bet. The x48 are better for Cf and SLI. I don't remeber the posters name, but they told you to wait til next year for a new computer. Honestly, if you can' wait or don't want to.. then don't. There are still plenty of good options for you out there and computer technology is always going to be improving. It's just that the news that the i7 line up is coming out soon is making a lot of people excited. If you do wait though..prepare to spend a good deal of cash. You still might need DDR3 ram for the x58 mobo's but it seems like a majority of them will only be using ddr3.

And you could totally hit 3.6Ghz on air as long as you get a good HSF and good airflow in your case. Make sure you try to keep the voltage as low as you can on the cpu while still maintaining stability. :) good luck

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Originally posted by: gplracer
I just wonder how much of a difference i would see. I play games, recode videos and use photoshop. Thanks!!!

looking at your sig i can tell that you can overclock.

So looking at a Opty 165 <3 @ 2.9 vs a Kentsfield even @ 3.2

is liking you in a porche 911 pulling up next to a grany in a toyota corolla.

what kind of budget you looking at in your upgrade? Overclocking quads fall in a different ballgame of rules then stock running quads.

And overclocking a quad is NOTHING like overclocking a dual, in aspect that, it has different rules with voltage, and are more GTL sensitive, expecially on yorkfields. So you really need to do some research b4 you go part asking and buying.

gplracer

Golden Member
Jun 4, 2000
Aigomorla and Z1ggy I guess I could wait... I could just get a motherboard for my son. My computer is not really that slow.... His motherboard going down just caused me to have a reason to upgrade. Are there any reasonable predictions as to how the new I7's will perform? The cost of the DDR3, new motherboard/chipset and new processor is going to be really high.

Thanks everyone for all of informative posts and suggestions. Keep them coming. This is what Anandtech is all about!!!