Would it be possible to..?(cable modem related)

dcpsoguy

Diamond Member
Nov 5, 2000
Would it be possible for Comcast(my cable company) to, instead of using a wireless router for my downstairs computer, and having a bridge that sends all this information upstairs for use with my XBOX and PS2, have them drill a new IP upstairs, and not waste my money on a wireless router and a bridge?

FuzzyBee

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2000
are you asking if it would be possible to get an additional ip from comcast, or whether they would run an additional cable line upstairs?

dcpsoguy

Diamond Member
Nov 5, 2000
Well, I know you can get an IP from comcast for an extra $6 bucks a month, so I guess I'm asking the latter.

microAmp

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2000
You could just get a Router and run the wire yourself. CAT5e cable at Home Depot is $0.13/ft. See if anyone (friend) has crimpers and the RJ-45 jacks (HD, BB, CC, etc.).... custom make it.

iwearnosox

Lifer
Oct 26, 2000
Originally posted by: dcpsoguy
Well, I know you can get an IP from comcast for an extra $6 bucks a month, so I guess I'm asking the latter.
Why not go to radio shack and run it yourself?

dcpsoguy

Diamond Member
Nov 5, 2000
Wire is not an option, it's all the way up the stairs, and I really don't want wires.

And what do you mean with that Radioshack comment?

iwearnosox

Lifer
Oct 26, 2000
Wire is not an option, it's all the way up the stairs, and I really don't want wires.

And what do you mean with that Radioshack comment?
Uh, Radioshack sells cable.

FuzzyBee

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2000
i'm sure comcast would be more than happy to run you a new cable line. i don't think, though, that you'd be able to just stick another cable modem onto it - you would have to have a router or switch on the "inside" side of your modem.

i think your best bets are to either stick with the wireless or plan to drill some hole to run your own cat-5.

Kevin

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2002
If you add another IP, they charge you the $X fee a month plus you'll need a hub. If you want another cable modem in a different room, its going to cost you double of what you're paying now.

If you have Central Air, sometimes you can follow the vents and run a cable through the wall super easy. You can set up keystone jacks so it looks professional and clean. Wireless equipment is getting really cheap now though, I would look into that...

dcpsoguy

Diamond Member
Nov 5, 2000
Ok, I don't want another cable modem in another room, that was just an example.

So, what I want, would be, another IP. This would make another wiring coming out of the wall, correct? Next, I want a hub. And then I could use two ethernet cords and plug them from my hub to my PS2 and XBOX?

waylman

Diamond Member
Apr 4, 2003
I think you are confused about IP addressing. You only need 1 IP and a router to run your network. The router will assign internal IP's to each PC so that your networked PC's can communicate.

Brymo

Banned
Dec 31, 2002
actually if you needed one up stairs when they installed the service then they had too...

but as of now, call and ask..

Kevin

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2002
Ok, I don't want another cable modem in another room, that was just an example.

So, what I want, would be, another IP. This would make another wiring coming out of the wall, correct? Next, I want a hub. And then I could use two ethernet cords and plug them from my hub to my PS2 and XBOX?

If you're going to do it that way, its cheaper to use a router. I think Best Buy has a Netgear router cheap this week. In the long run, you'll save. By getting a hub, its going to be the same amount of work that a router would be but you won't have to pay for additional IPs.