Worth upgrading from my AMD X2 6000+?

octopus41092

Golden Member
Feb 23, 2008
The main thing I'm using it for is gaming so would the CPU upgrade actually help? I'm running an HD4850 right now (overclocked to 750/2000), games I play are at 1680x1050, usually on highest with maybe 4x AA. Recently I've been playing things like Fallout 3. I'm looking to play Dead Space, Left 4 Dead, Red Alert 3, and Starcraft 2. Also some other things like Fable 2, Mirrors Edge when they come out for PC.

So, with Black Friday coming up soon I'm expecting to buy some new stuff for my computer. One of the things I'm looking to buy is a new processor. However, I don't really want to get a new motherboard. So, basically is it worth upgrading from my current processor, X2 6000+, to something from AMD, if so to what?

Also, is there anything new coming from AMD that would be worth waiting for and getting when it comes out?

Dadofamunky

Platinum Member
Jan 4, 2005
That's a tough call. I don't think you want to buy a current Phenom at this point. You COULD get a 6400+, but I don't think you'd see much of a difference. Your current CPU should be fine for msot of the new stuff. Also, if your socket is still supported, maybe hang tight until Deneb comes out? I think that would be a good move for you. Then prices will come down again for the current stuff anyway. But Deneb (now Phenom 2) is reputed to be what Phenom was SUPPOSED to be. The current Phenoms are a dead end.

I don't think it makes sense for you to upgrade till then.

Concillian

Diamond Member
May 26, 2004
Yeah, what would you upgrade to? Either Quad or something that gains you like 200 MHz. Not worth going quad if you're gaming, not worth a tiny upgrade for staying dual. Sit tight.

octopus41092

Golden Member
Feb 23, 2008
Originally posted by: Dadofamunky
That's a tough call. I don't think you want to buy a current Phenom at this point. You COULD get a 6400+, but I don't think you'd see much of a difference. Your current CPU should be fine for msot of the new stuff. Also, if your socket is still supported, maybe hang tight until Deneb comes out? I think that would be a good move for you. Then prices will come down again for the current stuff anyway. But Deneb (now Phenom 2) is reputed to be what Phenom was SUPPOSED to be. The current Phenoms are a dead end.

I don't think it makes sense for you to upgrade till then.

So, when is Deneb supposed to be released? Also, I heard something about MSI making AM3 socket boards. Does that mean that Deneb will require me to get a new motherboard, or is it still going to be AM2? Also, is not having an AM2+ board going to have an impact on the performance?

Kraeoss

Jul 31, 2008
some early chips may be backwards compatible but effectively you may have to upgrade your board to take full advantage of the cpu.

error8

Diamond Member
Nov 28, 2007
Originally posted by: Kraeoss
some early chips may be backwards compatible but effectively you may have to upgrade your board to take full advantage of the cpu.

:thumbsup:

octopus41092, I would say to hold on to your 6000+ until the beginning of next year and when everything will settle in the cpu market, then you could make an upgrade. Squeeze a couple of extra mhz, if you feel the "bottleneck".

As I'm seeing right now, there is little chance to fully take advantage of a Deneb cpu on your old AM2 motherboard. Even if it works, it will surely be crippled somehow.

May 30, 2007
Your mobo doesn't support quads and the extra 200 - 300mhz can likely be had on your CPU by overclocking it.

EDIT
Scratch that, your mobo is known to be a very very poor overclocker so you're stuck @ 3ghz untill u get a new mobo :(

Tbh find a Q6600/Mobo combo on the forums here if u want more speed, otherwise wait a few more months and see what AMD's new chips do but either way you're gonna need a new mobo to move past dual core.