Worth it to root HTC one m8?

desura

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2013
for the most part the phone is a great phone, but I'm wondering if it makes sense to root it to remove some of the stuff like blinkfeed or the carrier apps. Would I see a noticeable boost in performance? The HTC android is nowhere near as bad as Samsung, but there might be some improvements possible.

Platypus

Lifer
Apr 26, 2001
There won't be any real performance improvements from rooting / removing components from a stock ROM in almost all cases.

Replacing the ROM with something more lightweight / based on AOSP may boost performance but probably not in any meaningful capacity.

You'll also make taking future (lol Android) updates more complicated to deal with if you tamper with the system partition.

zerogear

Diamond Member
Jun 4, 2000
I currently have an HTC 10 -- Soon maybe Galaxy S8 (dreading it though -- but I need to keep hopping phones due to JUMP on Demand). The thing is that HTC's stock ROM has so little bloat that can't be removed, that there really isn't any need to remove it to gain performance -- however if you want granular control over the phone software, rooting it is quite nice. Having Xposed/Root. HTC themselves have stated specifically that hardware warranty will not be voided even if you have unlocked bootloader/rooted.

If you want to make root and still take OTA (I don't know if the M8 can still get OTA updates or not), look into Magisk, it'll also pass SafetyNet -- allowing you to use Android Pay.

Last edited:

Crono

Lifer
Aug 8, 2001
You probably won't see much performance benefit from removing the HTC apps, but if carrier apps are on there I'd root just to remove those.