Worth it to go from MX510 to MX518?

dme92189

Dec 26, 2005
I currently have an MX510 (800DPI) at 1000Hz, and am wondering if switching to the 1600 DPI MX518 would be worth my time/money. I would not want a G5 or any other mouse as I just dont like the feel as much as the way this line was made. What do you think?
Thanks!
Dan

BladeVenom

Lifer
Jun 2, 2005
I don't think it would be a worthwhile upgrade. I use a 500 and a 518 and am just as happy with the 500. Although I suppose at certain settings it might make a difference; I just run them at default.

bunnyfubbles

Lifer
Sep 3, 2001
Don't expect any incredible change in performance. If you have nothing better to spend your money on in terms of potentially improving your performance I would say it might be ok to mess with trying to get one.

As long as you already have a decent mouse (which you definitely do, I still love my MX510 - although I don't use it much now that I have my Copperhead) you're best off improving other aspects of your computer before trying to upgrade your mouse. My computer was already way overkill for the games I play so I was able to go ahead and splurge on a replacement for my MX510 as it was the only area I really could improve.

And if you do get one, don't expect it to be perfect right out of the box. I've found that you really need to mess around with settings to get it to how you like it after upgrading from a mouse you've had for a while. For example, running on the higher 1600 DPI of the MX518 might require you to change pointer speed/sensitivity settings within drivers/windows and/or the games you play in order to get it where you were comfortable with the MX510.

dme92189

Dec 26, 2005
Hm ok, I really don't have anything else I can upgrade within my system for the time being, but after reading your reply, I think maybe a 518 would be unnecessary. Thanks for saving me a few bucks! :D

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
I made this switch and I don't think it was quite worth it, mainly due to the fact that the third party Logigamer utility supports the 510 but not the 518. There is no way to create individual game profiles for the 518. (the newer Logitech mice have a profile system built into the driver, but they only started that with the G5 and G7)

Tegeril

Platinum Member
Apr 2, 2003
I currently use the 518 on my desktop and the 510 on my laptop. I like the 518 marginally more. It's not worth the price to change.

QuantumPion

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2005
I love the 510 but I am sad now that it is no longer produced. I've been using it so long that I can't stand any other mice. I hope mine lasts a while longer!

almach1

Sep 3, 2005
sticking to my 518 even over the new logitech revolution mice. I bought a G5 for a freind for his birthday last year and i couldn't stand it because of forward button missing. texture is better on it though.

maybe if they made a revolution in a wired version that would be the best.

bunnyfubbles

Lifer
Sep 3, 2001
Originally posted by: almach1
sticking to my 518 even over the new logitech revolution mice. I bought a G5 for a freind for his birthday last year and i couldn't stand it because of forward button missing. texture is better on it though.

The Logitech Revolution will never be wired, it isn't meant as a gaming mouse, but a general usage/business mouse - it is designed for comfort and functionality while working within Windows. Heck, it doesn't even offer DPI as high as the MX518.

Logitech simply made a dumb mistake only putting one button where there should be two because, in their infinite wisdom, they thought gamers would like it simplified so they wouldn't accidentally push the wrong button out of the vast two buttons available on the side there.

In the future I'm sure Logitech won't make the same mistake twice, I'd bet the eventual replacement to the G5 wil contain two side buttons.

dme92189

Dec 26, 2005
Yea, but still, I don't think you can beat the form of the 510/518, its just so natural you (well me at least) do not even notice your hand is on a mouse.

n7

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2004
I did that same switch, mainly since when my 510 died, it was the closest alternative.

The 518 certainly is much more sensitive with the higher DPI use, but that just means you have to turn down mouse sensitivity in games to match what the 510 did to be useable, so i wouldn't consider it an upgrade really.

almach1

Sep 3, 2005
Originally posted by: bunnyfubbles
Originally posted by: almach1

The Logitech Revolution will never be wired, it isn't meant as a gaming mouse, but a general usage/business mouse - it is designed for comfort and functionality while working within Windows. Heck, it doesn't even offer DPI as high as the MX518.q]

well at more than double the price point i thought at least equal to the 518. but the mouse grip is so much better on those.