Worth buying?

TedKord

Jul 6, 2003
I've decided to upgrade. My current PC is an i7-4770k with GTX 1070sc. I can get this used from someone I know for $800. Any opinions on if this is a decent deal? I've been out of this for about 10 years, not keeping up on hardware.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700x with stock cooler
MB: Asus Prime X470-Pro
RAM: 32GB G.Skill DDR4-3200 2x16GB
SDD: Sabrent Rocket Q 1TB NVMe PCI3 M.2 2280
HDD: WD Green 2TB WD20EARS
GPU: XFX Radeon RX570
OS: Windows 10 pro full licence purchased at Microcenter
Case: NZXT H510 with 3-140mm corsair fans and 1-120mm NZXT fan
PSU: Corsair HX750 full modular

It was built last January. Never overclocked, used mainly for video editing, not gaming. My son will use it for gaming and editing. I plan on swapping in the 1070. Any opinions appreciated.

Last edited:

Steltek

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2001
It is a decent deal as you couldn't build a comparable system for $800 without cutting significant corners. I'd consider the slow WD Green drive a downside (from my experience, every one of them should be considered to be a dying drive that just hasn't decided to die yet), but it is also a relatively cheap fix when it finally decides to commit hari-kari as long as you keep it backed up.

On the definite plus side, AMD has backtracked and says they will support Ryzen 4000 on the x470 chipset, so it is likely to be upgradeable in the future.

If I were in the market for a used machine, I'd buy it.

Reactions: TedKord

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
I have to give my compliments on whoever built that. Very well specced balance of value and performance. Even down to the Rocket Q, which is better in my experience than the Samsung Evo nVME options, and a better deal $ for $.

Also of note, because of shortages, that power supply alone is kind of absurdly priced these days.

Steltek

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2001
BTW, if you will be doing a lot of video editing and the software you use supports it, you might want to pick up another cheap SSD to use as a scratch drive. Decent 500GB SSDs can be had for pretty cheap these days, and it doesn't even have to be an NVMe drive (though even 500GB NVMe drives are cheap as well if you can catch one on sale).

You might also roll that RX570 back into your old system and overclock the processor if you haven't already done it. The 4770k is still a decent processor for day to day use (I've got an i7-3770k based system that I still use all the time for all sorts of stuff).

Last edited: