Worth a shot...(physics, I know I know)

johnjohn320

Diamond Member
Jan 9, 2001
Calculate the magnitude of the gravitational force exerted on a 425 kg satellite that is a distance of two earth radii from the center of the earth.

I used the equation W = G (Me * m) / r^2

Solved for W, got 3.45 * 10^30

No idea whatsoever how I'm supposed to use this info to get the magnitude of gravity on the object. Any help?

Evadman

Administrator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Feb 18, 2001
That satalite is flying through the atmosphere of the earth. I see flaming death for someone.

Pssst: inverse square of the distance.

Torghn

Platinum Member
Mar 21, 2001
You need to solve for g, and since g isn't in your equation, you need a different equation.

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Torghn
You need to solve for g, and since g isn't in your equation, you need a different equation.

:D

Broohaha

Banned
Jan 4, 2001

isnt G a constant?

if that's true then i pwn j000!!

Torghn

Platinum Member
Mar 21, 2001
Originally posted by: Broohaha
Originally posted by: Torghn You need to solve for g, and since g isn't in your equation, you need a different equation.
isnt G a constant? if that's true then i pwn j000!!

G!=g

edit: Just so you know what I'm talking about. g on Earth's surface is very close to 9.8m/s^2
G=gravitational constat=6.67300x10^-11m^3kg^-1s^-2

johnjohn320

Diamond Member
Jan 9, 2001

isnt G a constant?

if that's true then i pwn j000!!

Well, g is -9.8
Big G is, according to my book, 6.67 * 10^-11. I don't even know what the hell big G represents... nor how to find little g without an acceleration.

Torghn

Platinum Member
Mar 21, 2001
Originally posted by: johnjohn320
Originally posted by: Torghn You need to solve for g, and since g isn't in your equation, you need a different equation.
Well, g is -9.8 Big G is, according to my book, 6.67 * 10^-11. I don't even know what the hell big G represents... nor how to find little g without an acceleration.

Ok, I'll be nice. Wight is a Force. Therefor your first answer is correct (if you solved the equation correctly as I didn't check your math).

johnjohn320

Diamond Member
Jan 9, 2001
Well, g is -9.8 Big G is, according to my book, 6.67 * 10^-11. I don't even know what the hell big G represents... nor how to find little g without an acceleration.

Ok, I'll be nice. Wight is a Force. Therefor your first answer is correct (if you solved the equation correctly as I didn't check your math).

Well yeah, weight is a force, but is it the gravitational force? Thanks for being nice btw ;)

Torghn

Platinum Member
Mar 21, 2001
Well yeah, weight is a force, but is it the gravitational force? Thanks for being nice btw ;)

Yes, it's the force due to gravity.

Kalpana

Jun 1, 2003
yes..I believe that that weight, which is the force exerted on the satelite is the gravitation force..if I remember right. The reason has..man this was so long ago...to do with what is keeping the satelite in orbit...and I think that it is gravitation that is providing the inward force that can keep the orbiting object in orbit. Okay I am gonna shut up now..but I am pretty sure that weight is the force...however not hundred percent certain.

edit...AHHH NEVERMIND...I am sure he knows better...:)

CrazyPerson

Platinum Member
Jan 15, 2003
here
F=G[(m1m2)/r^2]

G=6.67*10^-11 i think

NOW... CAN SOME ONE PLEASE HELP ME WITH MY BIO QUESTION

johnjohn320

Diamond Member
Jan 9, 2001

Yes, it's the force due to gravity.

OK, in that case, I triple checked my numbers (my 3.5 x 10^30 or whatever it was is way off), and now I'm getting exactly twice the answer. Sigh.

TechnoKid

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2001
W = G (Me * m) / r^2

...... hmmmm

WGMEMR

wegmmr?
gemwmr?

megwmmmamrmarmwemmgarmagrmawrgamrg

i was lamo when i read this...i think its hilarious to make an accronym for it...think strongbad trying to pronounce it :p

edit: Post number 666...:Q

Broohaha

Banned
Jan 4, 2001
Originally posted by: TechnoKid
Originally posted by: Broohaha W = G (Me * m) / r^2 ...... hmmmm WGMEMR wegmmr? gemwmr?
megwmmmamrmarmwemmgarmagrmawrgamrg i was lamo when i read this...i think its hilarious to make an accronym for it...think strongbad trying to pronounce it :p edit: Post number 666...:Q

there's no a i that equation, satan
rolleye.gif
;)

Torghn

Platinum Member
Mar 21, 2001
Originally posted by: Torghn <a class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="[L=http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=%28G*%28425+kg%29*%28mass+of+earth%29%29%2F%28radius+of+earth%29%5E2" target=blank search?hl='en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=%28G*%28425+kg%29*%28mass+of+earth%29%29%2F%28radius+of+earth%29%5E2"[/L]' www.google.com ]http:>holly Crap I didn't know google was this good</A>
Yes, you posted it twice now within 5 minutes. And both times it was wrong. ;) I've got the correct answer now, thanks for the help guys.

There, Happy?

Actualy they are different. The second time was with words where the first was just numbers which a simple calculator could do.