Worst pc building experience EVER.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

NiKeFiDO

Diamond Member
May 21, 2004
am i the only one screaming at my monitor at this guy?
im sorry but, its your ram, swap it out with good ram and retry. its your ram, swap it out with good ram and retry. its your ram, swap it out with good ram and retry. its your ram, swap it out with good ram and retry. its your ram, swap it out with good ram and retry. its your ram, swap it out with good ram and retry. its your ram, swap it out with good ram and retry. its your ram, swap it out with good ram and retry. its your ram, swap it out with good ram and retry. its your ram, swap it out with good ram and retry. its your ram, swap it out with good ram and retry. its your ram, swap it out with good ram and retry.

sonz70

Banned
Apr 19, 2005
No, your right its the monitor, for your system only a new 21 inch 8ms response time LCD will work. Go buy it, and you'll be scot free man :)

agentsmith101

Mar 15, 2005
Originally posted by: UpgradeFailure
Originally posted by: agentsmith101
but then how did it run for three days at my friends house and suddenly just drop dead at mine? Only thing different is the monitor...

RAM!!!

RAM was still the same...ok ill try switching out ram but the ram i have is brand new mushkin...and can ANYONE explain why it didnt work at my house after three days of working?

Edit: If other ram doesnt work then everyone owes me a cookie for not listening to my suggestions ::p

chiwawa626

Lifer
Aug 15, 2000
Try booting up on knoppix :), That will usually help seperate HD/driver/OS issues, and will let you know you have a bigger problem.

Joemonkey

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2001
if you don't believe us, get memtest86 or microsoft's ram test, or better yet download and burn the ultimate boot cd and run the 5 or so RAM tests it has

the monitor... heh

at least try to reseat the ram...

lokiju

Lifer
May 29, 2003
Remove all devices that are not needed and just have a CD ROM on one controller and your Hard drive on another, will reduce issues.

Also are you using any sort of RAID?

agentsmith101

Mar 15, 2005
Originally posted by: Joemonkey
if you don't believe us, get memtest86 or microsoft's ram test, or better yet download and burn the ultimate boot cd and run the 5 or so RAM tests it has

the monitor... heh

i cant do any tests i dont have an os that works...in half an hour format will be complete...then ill reseat/replace ram...

blazer...i only have mobo/cpu/video adapter/dvd rw/psu/floppy i could take out floppy but i doubt that would help.

Thanks for all the help too (i was just posting to whine about it but thanks, if you hadnt said so, i would have been replacing monitor :p)

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by: sonz70
It...is...a..bad...ram...error....

agreed. I had similar problems with a WinXP install. Turned out one of my ram sticks was going bad.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
but then how did it run for three days at my friends house and suddenly just drop dead at mine? Only thing different is the monitor...

RAM!!!

RAM was still the same...ok ill try switching out ram but the ram i have is brand new mushkin...and can ANYONE explain why it didnt work at my house after three days of working?

Edit: If other ram doesnt work then everyone owes me a cookie for not listening to my suggestions ::p

maybe it unseated during the move.

maybe it was a piece of crap stick and just died after a few days.

It happens. If you have two sticks try installing with one. If that one doesn't work try the other one.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
i got you beat. i was dealing with a hard drive that was so fscked that windows would crash in safe mode due to it. if i plugged the drive into a usb enclosure and put it into another system, the other system would crash as soon as windows recognized the new drive.

luckily, knoppix could run, so i got all the useful files off the drive that way.

dderidex

Platinum Member
Mar 13, 2001
Currently winxp is not installed on it. Its now hanging up in just installing it. thats the main prob i cant even get in to try doing troubleshooting no safe mode or anything. (Worst case scenario ill just transfer my 40gig into my system and run it though it will be low.)

It's almost certainly a memory problem or CPU overheating problem.

I've been down that road a hundred times, myself. It's a real bitch to fix, because the errors have no consistency.

Really, find and download a program called MemTest86. That will install to a floppy disk, and it's bootable. Just boot to that and see if the RAM checks out.

I'd put money down that it won't.

dderidex

Platinum Member
Mar 13, 2001

RAM!!!

'Brand new' doesn't mean anything. If you ram is 'brand new' PC2700 set to run at CL3 and your mobo BIOS is running it at PC3200 specs and CL2...guess what? You get random non-repeatable errors that are all over the place.

If one stick of ram had some bad chips on it, guess what? You get random non-repeatable errors that are all over the place.

Do as several suggested (including me) - make a boot disk with MemTest86 on it (no operating system needed), and let that run all the way through.

I just about guarantee it's going to fail!

Joemonkey

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2001

the monitor... heh

i cant do any tests i dont have an os that works...in half an hour format will be complete...then ill reseat/replace ram...

blazer...i only have mobo/cpu/video adapter/dvd rw/psu/floppy i could take out floppy but i doubt that would help.

Thanks for all the help too (i was just posting to whine about it but thanks, if you hadnt said so, i would have been replacing monitor :p)

all the tests i mentioned are either ran via bootable floppy or bootable CD, you don't even have to have a damn hard drive hooked up let alone an OS on one...

agentsmith101

Mar 15, 2005
Originally posted by: dderidex
Currently winxp is not installed on it. Its now hanging up in just installing it. thats the main prob i cant even get in to try doing troubleshooting no safe mode or anything. (Worst case scenario ill just transfer my 40gig into my system and run it though it will be low.)

It's almost certainly a memory problem or CPU overheating problem.

I've been down that road a hundred times, myself. It's a real bitch to fix, because the errors have no consistency.

Really, find and download a program called MemTest86. That will install to a floppy disk, and it's bootable. Just boot to that and see if the RAM checks out.

I'd put money down that it won't.

Nvm, i didnt say that :p

Philippine Mango

Diamond Member
Oct 29, 2004

the monitor... heh

memtest86 runs off the floppy

Bumrush99

Diamond Member
Jun 14, 2004
Haven't read the entire thread but it is probably related to either bad memory or heat issues.

ZowieHowie

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2002
I am thinking heat issues. I had a system do this once before. Whatever I did, it kept locking up when loading the OS. I ended up installing 2 more case fans, and have not had the problem since.

agentsmith101

Mar 15, 2005
Ok its fixed, and ill admit it it was the RAM :(. I didnt replace simply put in other bank. The bad news is that one bank on my motherboard may be defective and i will be PISSED if i have to replace it.