Worst Idea EVAR!: US Gives Iraqis six Months to Draft Constitution

tnitsuj

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003
from BBCNEWS.COM

Another example of say one thing do another. After all this talk about not being rushed, wanting to leave a strong Iraqi government, etc. etc. the administration does this? The same ideas they were ridiculing the French for putting forth. Massively unwise in my opinion. Yes in six months Iraqs unelected "governing council" will be able to come up with an acceptable constitution for the country in light of thier own internal divisions and the security situation.

Methinks someone wants excuses to get out of IRAQ ASAP.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Yup, what exactly were they waiting for in the first place? If France hadn't pressed the issue who knows how long before the Bush Admin would realize that the handing over of authority to Iraqis as soon as possible(even if conditions are not ideal)was a good idea.

SuperTool

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
Amendment I

Iraqis shall make no law restricting the flow of oil from the region, or prohibiting the cheap sale thereof... ;)

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000
Originally posted by: sandorski
Yup, what exactly were they waiting for in the first place? If France hadn't pressed the issue who knows how long before the Bush Admin would realize that the handing over of authority to Iraqis as soon as possible(even if conditions are not ideal)was a good idea.
How long did it take for a constitution to be written and elections held in Japan, and Germany?

MovingTarget

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2003
Well, the council could come up with a constitution in 6 months, even though its implementation would take much longer. However, I do not feel that this is the right avenue to go. We should stabalize the infrastructure and political sentiment in Iraq, and when the time is right, have the constitution drafted by an elected constitutional convention. Those conditions are still a ways off, but the new governtment would be much more legitimate and respected than if the current administrative council did. Of course I dont have a problem with the council putting a few guidelines or requisites for its drafting, such as x rights must be included or that however the final government is formed, it should be a truly representative one not dominated by any exclusive group. Only time will tell how this will fold out, but we should not rush things.