Administrator
Nov 30, 2005

Oakenfold

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001
Originally posted by: KeithTalent
Here is the FP page: http://www.fileplanet.com/promotions/worldshift/

Here is the official site: http://www.worldshift-game.com/

I got my key and downloaded the beta last night but have not had a chance to try the game. I'll fire it up tonight and see how it goes; screenshots look pretty nice.

Just thought I'd let you all know and see if there is anyone out there playing it.

Cheers,
KT

I noticed it yesterday, let us know if it's worth downloading.
;)

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Well I finally sat down to play the game and it appears an update is required for the client, but for some reason it will not go past 0%. :confused:

I'll have to try and fix it in the morning.

KT

skulkingghost

Golden Member
Jan 4, 2006
When they said beta they should have posted ALPHA, a lot of sounds arent there, when you command units you will hear a text to speech voice say "place holder sound" over and over again. Some units cant even be controlled yet. I was put off that they would even release such an unfinished product.

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Originally posted by: skulkingghost
When they said beta they should have posted ALPHA, a lot of sounds arent there, when you command units you will hear a text to speech voice say "place holder sound" over and over again. Some units cant even be controlled yet. I was put off that they would even release such an unfinished product.

Well that's unfortunate. I have figured out how to fix my problem, so I will still give this game a shot. Hopefully I'll have a chance to peek at it before cooking dinner tonight. :p

KT

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
I finally got a chance to play this late last night after getting all of the patches downloaded and applied.

First off let me say I did not experience the sound issues 'skulkingghost' mentioned and in fact everything worked very well; I did not encounter any sound or graphics anomalies, though to be fair I did not get very far into the game.

Graphics are ok, but you cannot zoom in very close to see the character models, which is a bit of a disappointment. Even though I always play an RTS a little farther back, I still like the ability to get in close and check out the character models. The environments look pretty nice overall, but nothing to write home about; I'm still trying to decide whether I like how they did rain and lightning. Everything ran >60 FPS at 1920x1200, all settings at absolute maximum, on the rig in my signature.

I guess I'm not supposed to say too much, so I'll just say this is not a bad game from what I've played so far, but in all reality there has yet to be anything in here to set this game apart from any other RTS I've played (I'm no RTS guru though). I'll fire it up again later and try get a little farther and see how it goes, but I have to admit this was a nice change of pace from what I have been normally playing and since it is free for the time being, I have no problem with spending a little time with it.

KT

Oakenfold

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001
Originally posted by: KeithTalent
I
I guess I'm not supposed to say too much, so I'll just say this is not a bad game from what I've played so far, but in all reality there has yet to be anything in here to set this game apart from any other RTS I've played (I'm no RTS guru though). I'll fire it up again later and try get a little farther and see how it goes, but I have to admit this was a nice change of pace from what I have been normally playing and since it is free for the time being, I have no problem with spending a little time with it.

KT

Thx for your input. I'll pass based on your comments. ;)