World's largest mall is in China

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

AyashiKaibutsu

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2004
Must have been one of those economy boosting boondoggles.

Article seemed to imply some rich guy was like I want to build a super awesome mall in my home town, and the people around him were like but but there's no airport or highways going to your crappy town... and he was like so? and built it anyway... then the goberment was like that mall is too awesome to let fail so they propped it up.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Hmm... looks like they should just bulldoze the sucker and turn it back into farmland.

Of course, they really need to film a sequel to Paul Blart: Mall Cop there first, where they end up destroying half the place in the process :)

oogabooga

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2003
Turn the place into a paintball arena and I'm there. :p

That'd be pretty epic. Could sell some once-in-a-lifetime vacation packages with that.

If you hire a bunch of locals to play (or give them super discounted play rates) maybe you can make it all imperialist. You and five friends vs the Chinese horde!

AyashiKaibutsu

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2004
That'd be pretty epic. Could sell some once-in-a-lifetime vacation packages with that.

If you hire a bunch of locals to play (or give them super discounted play rates) maybe you can make it all imperialist. You and five friends vs the Chinese horde!

2 Abrams paintball tanks vs 10000 chinese paintball cavalry?

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002

wel previous threads i saw only had photo essays, now there is video...and man that mall has creepiness to it, and it just looks a bit tacky. even if they decorated it a bit, it wouldn't feel welcoming, it is like a bad copy of something not understanding the why of things.

MotionMan

Lifer
Jan 11, 2006
Is there any mall in the world that draws enough traffic, under the best circumstances, to make that mall even close to viable?

It seems like the government would have to move people into the area, give them transportation and force them to go to the mall on a regular basis.

MotionMan