Worlds Adrift alpha game.

Newbian

Lifer
Aug 24, 2008
https://www.worldsadrift.com/

Been messing with this game a bit lately and it looks interesting although it is in alpha so still plenty of issues.

It's a game with floating islands and airships.

Basically you collect wood and metal with a harvest tool then build two different types of crafting devices and design your ship or use the basic prebuilt plans and start building on it.

In order to use your first ship you need at least the steering wheel, a core that levitates your ship with a weight limit for each one, and some kind of propulsion and from there you can fly around to other islands looking for more resources or find people to attack.

You can attach more walls to the exterior for looks and chests on your ship for storage or add cannons to shoot at others and various decorations such as flags or masts and a spawner so if you die you will spawn there if you want.

You start the game with very little plans on what you can use but you can find more from chests in the world or the occasional lootable ship part on the islands and it is rough as you only have sails to start with and have to use wind to move but later you can find engine plans to use and with a fuel tank move a lot better but need to collect fuel.

There can be multiple people on the ship at a time so in theory you could build decent gunships if you want but the others need to secure themselves such as sitting in cannons as you will bounce around a lot as it is still buggy at times if you are not secure.

It's very easy to grief other peoples ships by getting on them and disassembling a lot of their parts with the harvest tool as the basic gun you can build right now is very inaccurate and doesn't do a ton of damage and it's being looked at for ways to fix it so if you rage a lot stay away for now.

In order to board ships or move around the islands faster or check their bottom for resources you use a grappling hook so essentially think of yourself as spiderman when you use it and it's a long way down and also there is a wingsuit if you want to travel that way if you can good height.

Sadly you will need a key to download it from steam but they are adding more people and if a friend gets in you get a friend code to share with people and steam has a island creator to mess around with that they could add into the game.

I just got in the game thursday but I was able to build a few ships so far and this is my latest with some decent engines but not complete with bottom walls yet on the second deck or any cannons.

0RAQEKG.jpg

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
It seems every craft/survival game start out in Early Access/Alpha Testing, then they spend the following four years making small changes here and there, then occasionally a few big changes (once per year seems the norm), and once the majority of the playerbase calls it stable, they just make cosmetic changes and mostly abandon the majority of the game.

Looks like it could have a neat premise, but honestly, it's just another early access crafting/survival game to me.

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
It seems every craft/survival game start out in Early Access/Alpha Testing, then they spend the following four years making small changes here and there, then occasionally a few big changes (once per year seems the norm), and once the majority of the playerbase calls it stable, they just make cosmetic changes and mostly abandon the majority of the game.

Looks like it could have a neat premise, but honestly, it's just another early access crafting/survival game to me.

yeah totally this.

francisbaud

Oct 8, 2016
It seems every craft/survival game start out in Early Access/Alpha Testing, then they spend the following four years making small changes here and there [...]
Yea I think releasing a game in early access often slow the development process a lot. If a studio got only 30-40 devs and half of them are busy in operating the game and creating things to sell in the store, surely it doesn't help to finish the game. Not sure if it's the case for World Adrift though, I have only checked its updates now and then.

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
They released it on Steam a couple of weeks ago, giving it a go, anyone else try it?