World War III, who would win?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

beer

Lifer
Jun 27, 2000
Originally posted by: duke
Originally posted by: bolido2000
Originally posted by: beer
It is also worth mentioning that we control the only system of GPS sattelites. We grant other countries the use of them but I'm sure that can be revoked. The EU and Chinese could not use guided weapons, and that would be a huge problem.

Hence the EU launching their own GPS system in a few years.

I'm pretty sure the Russians also have their own GPS network in the sky.

Nope, they don't. This is one of the reasons the EU wants to launch one. The US has the only GPS system in the world, although they have it free for use as necessary

RaynorWolfcastle

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001
If any nuclear-arms bearing country was about to get overrun, I'm sure they'd lob a nuke or two at the opposition, at which point all hell would break loose. If there is ever another World War, I'm afraid it would be a complete mess.

KhoiFather

Platinum Member
Jun 28, 2002
You guys have to realize something, even if US has all the suprerior technology to blast whatever country to the 1st century, it took the U.S. how long to take over Afganistan and Iraq? Those country are no where near advane as us, but they knew their territory and probably had more motive to fight for their country.

Many of the replies say that the U.S. is too advance and all, but that doesn't matter much if the U.S. is invading because they don't know the territory.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: TuxDave
Originally posted by: petery83
props to the Canadian sniper who made the 2,430-meter record kill in Afghanistan

:disgust: campers...... :p

hahah.

but that was a heck of a shot. thats some skill to take that shot. it just f'ing amazing.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
Originally posted by: KhoiFather
You guys have to realize something, even if US has all the suprerior technology to blast whatever country to the 1st century, it took the U.S. how long to take over Afganistan and Iraq? Those country are no where near advane as us, but they knew their territory and probably had more motive to fight for their country.

Many of the replies say that the U.S. is too advance and all, but that doesn't matter much if the U.S. is invading because they don't know the territory.

well, we were being humane with our tactics. if we just razed and killed everyone it would have been very fast:p

JohnnyAnnalog

Dec 6, 2003

Could the US & Canada have enough oil to fuel the war, other wise the rest of the world only have to control the oil to defeat the US.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Is there a purpose to pointing out that such a scenario would never happen...? I've seen several people point that out. Can't you guys play "make believe"? Everytime somebody posts a "who would win" or "what would happen", you've got people who never learned to play make believe as children coming in and saying why it would never happen...
Could the US & Canada have enough oil to fuel the war, other wise the rest of the world only have to control the oil to defeat the US.
Canada, especially, has vast oil reserves...well not oil reserves per say, but vast amounts of refinable oil. As yllus mentioned with the oil reserves combined with a sudden increase in oil production in both the US and Canada there wouldn't be a big problem. People would obviously have to stop driving SUVs and trade up for econoboxes though.

PunDogg

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2002
US wins, all the EU has is Russia and France those are the main powers there, and with out US imports and such there econ. would die, and then no money to fund army and we win. Also the other countries in the EU, alot of their weapons and such are given to them by us. Another thing is the US is soo big that there is no way the armies of these countries could occupy the US, cuz think how many people own guns in the us, that are not part of the milatary. that group of people would most def. join together and be another force to be messed with. Logistaly the US is in such a good postion and it is just HUGE compared to the EU. I think it also matters what china, and india do if they sit still then the US wins, but if China joins the EU to fight against the US, then that is alot differant, cuz of there vast numbers of ground troops.

Dogg

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
I'm trying to figure out why Schandenfroh chose the EU and Russia to invade the US, when neither one of them are much of a military superpower.

Now, if you wanted a REAL challenge of the world superpowers, you should pit a Chinese and Indian alliance against the US in 2025. Combined, those countries have 6 times our population! China also has a HUGE and rapidly growing manufacturing base, and India is quickly becoming the technology outsourcing capital of the world. Twenty years from now, those countries will probably be the world superpowers, NOT the United States.

xSauronx

Lifer
Jul 14, 2000
Originally posted by: Kelvrick
How much of a fight is Canada going to put up?

no idea

i seem to recall a number of their trops and tanks or some such getting stranded in the ocean on freight vessels because the guys who owned the vessels wanted more money or something....

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
cuz think how many people own guns in the us, that are not part of the milatary. that group of people would most def. join together and be another force to be messed with.
I don't think civilians with shotguns and hunting rifles are much match for a trained military that is occupying. Any hopes of playing at being in the movie Red Dawn will be quickly dashed when your guerilla tactics reward your family & friends with execution. Look at Iraq - a hell of a lot of people have guns there. A lot don't want the US there, and yet numerically a very small number of US soldiers have died compared to the potential, if the armed iraqis who hate the US were actually intent on doing anything about it.
i seem to recall a number of their trops and tanks or some such getting stranded in the ocean on freight vessels because the guys who owned the vessels wanted more money or something....
Canada's navy is a joke, as is their air force. Still, if they had to they could ramp up quickly, for the size.

tk149

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2002
What makes you think the EU and Russia could agree on ANY cooperative military action? Or for that matter, any three members of the EU cooperating?

Anyway, I would guess U.S. Air superiority would play havoc with any invading ground forces, depending on how long the enemy has to dig in.

peonyu

Platinum Member
Mar 12, 2003
Originally posted by: RabidMongoose
Anyone have aircraft and naval numbers for the US and countries like France, Germany, etc.?

Linkage

quick summary -- USA equals ALL of europe + russia and then some...USA ownz.

also some good news for our canadian friends, judging by that chart you guys are able to take down african nations. :D

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
What people are forgetting is this stated no WMD...

That said China is a super force of men...luckily they have relatively kept to themselves because they know if they did act up a WMD would be used.

That out of the equation the US doesn't have such a heavy stick....they have a great military however, when you are fighting 5 to 1 it's going to be hard.

Not to mention Americans have gotten soft...most other countries are made up of relatively strong people, and hardened.

If any nations were going to take on America, from a non-terrorist/guerrilla approach they would need to sweep overseas first...it'd be too hard to keep us and our allies at bay. Once that was done, probably they'd populate Cuba and/or South American. Once in those two locales attacking is a lot easier.

America would have to do a pre-emptive attack and our people are getting tired of those..."why help that nation"...

I see a possible Korea/China hookup soon, both may be dabbling in nukes, possibly with ex-Russian help. Keep in mind Russia is a mess, you have women turning to prostitution as their only means to eat. These are educated women...you have soldiers/scientists on the auction block as well for not much more than a hot meal and a place to wash. The smart thing for the US to have done, but it'd be too much a cost for the cry-babies here that an extra nickel tax may cost them their Escalade they are already stretched out for, would be to rebuild Russia and somehow find a way to make in a United States overseas. America would have been in a better position if we were a conquering nation. As technology advances our isolation and size/military might become smaller and smaller obstacles.

However the thing we need to ask ourselves is why are we buying China goods? That is purely an effect of US money being leveraged on cheap Chinese products....if our million/billionaires weren't using them, their products would be illegal.

Å

JImmyK

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
I havent read much but China was def over looked by the initial poster.

We the USA are just another ruling empire, we will pass in time and another will come, it is the way of things (history), some empries last a century others 2 3 some even a millenia but do not fool yourself we will fall and another will rise.

let us drink and enjoy life; live to the fullest in the meantime and talk no more of war.

Pacfanweb

Lifer
Jan 2, 2000
The invasion fleet would be sunk enroute. Not one single ship would ever get here. No nation, or group of nations has the naval might to oppose the USA.
There aren't enough planes in the world to airlift enough troops for a full scale invasion, much less any armor.

Basically, anything that got past our subs would be sitting ducks for our planes and surface fleet.

Amorphus

Diamond Member
Mar 31, 2003
Originally posted by: Pacfanweb
The invasion fleet would be sunk enroute. Not one single ship would ever get here. No nation, or group of nations has the naval might to oppose the USA.
There aren't enough planes in the world to airlift enough troops for a full scale invasion, much less any armor.

Basically, anything that got past our subs would be sitting ducks for our planes and surface fleet.

Well, the thread started with the assumption that the troops were in Alaska already, so we're talking about pre-emptively here, aren't we? Especially when that scenario is obviously impossible. ;)

AndrewR

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
No combination of military forces presently available could invade the US successfully. Period. Certain nations have certain capabilities which match or even in small segments exceed the US military, but no multinational force could work together with the cohesiveness of the US military (which isn't even that cohesive, amazingly enough). Add the language barrier to "joint operations", and you have a nightmare.

North America wins (place and show).

Originally posted by: yllus
Edit: Just to clear up things, there are at least two nations in the EU - France and Germany - that you do NOT want to underestimate on the battlefield, if they put their mind to an effort. However neither nation currently has the assets to invade successfully.

Ok, I'll give you that France has a decent military relatively speaking, but Germany is pathetic at the moment. They can barely muster a brigade for Afghanistan and are not going to increase funding for the their military any time soon, keeping their spending at a little over 1% GDP.

nan0bug

Banned
Apr 22, 2003
Originally posted by: fyleow
Nobody wins in war, if we had a nuclear war now everyone would be dead.

I agree with this. War is one of those things that, even if you win, you lose.

However, the United States would win. Anyone invading would need to use WMDs to win. If WMD's are out, they might defeat our army but you have to remember that there are a whole lot of citizens with guns in America. I personally know 3 WOMEN over the age of 50 with handguns. You gotta be a damn fool to try and invade this country.

Martin

Lifer
Jan 15, 2000
Originally posted by: AndrewR
No combination of military forces presently available could invade the US successfully. Period. Certain nations have certain capabilities which match or even in small segments exceed the US military, but no multinational force could work together with the cohesiveness of the US military (which isn't even that cohesive, amazingly enough). Add the language barrier to "joint operations", and you have a nightmare.

North America wins (place and show).

Originally posted by: yllus
Edit: Just to clear up things, there are at least two nations in the EU - France and Germany - that you do NOT want to underestimate on the battlefield, if they put their mind to an effort. However neither nation currently has the assets to invade successfully.

Ok, I'll give you that France has a decent military relatively speaking, but Germany is pathetic at the moment. They can barely muster a brigade for Afghanistan and are not going to increase funding for the their military any time soon, keeping their spending at a little over 1% GDP.

Being the military man you are, tell me how the US is supposed to invade Europe when it doesn't have the British isles as a base? I just can't see the happening.