World in Conflict; Will it ever work?

Madaz

Feb 16, 2009
Hey Guys,

Last year i picked up a game that looked a little different to what i usually played, did some research online saw it had good reviews so i took it home and was really really dissapointed.

The game just would not run, it kept locking up at different points. i did all of the right things, i defragged before and after install, i installed the patches, i checked my video drivers and i looked at the official site to see what they had to say.

The best i could manage was to work through the tutorial and start the game but it would keep locking up. audio keeps playing but the animation freezes.

I didnt know what to do, so i cracked the poos, uninstalled and went back to Kane and Lynch and scarface.

The computer i have is a Toshiba Satellite P200. Core 2 Duo T7700 2.4ghz, ati mobility HD 2600 512gb video 3gb DDR2 ram running windows vista ultimate. when i was playing all the background crap was turned off.

Lately Ive been looking at that box wistfully wondering about what might have been. Has anyone got any advice on what i might do to try get this up and running?

Oh and incase anyone is wondering the game is a legal copy that i paid too much good money for.

Thanks in advance for any help that you can give me.
Cheers
Daz

chizow

Diamond Member
Jun 26, 2001
Those specs are good enough to run it, and its a fantastic RTS/RTT well worth getting up and running. Sounds like its a driver issue, either video or audio. What video driver version are you using? Can you use the latest from ATI or are you reliant on Toshiba for updates? Also check your sound drivers and make sure they're up to date.

Madaz

Feb 16, 2009
chizow

Cheers for that. I did a graphics driver check last night using windows hardware manager and it told me i had the latest driver. I havent check out the sound drivers though, i will try them out tonight and then i will defrag and then install the game.

do i need to install each patch ie 1.1 1.2 1.3 etc all the way to 1.66 or can i just install 1.6 and thats all encompasing?

Thanks for your help, ill let you know how it goes.

Cheers
Daz

Madaz

Feb 16, 2009
World in Conflict Patch v1.000 to v1.009 [US/AU]
Posted on Thursday 03 Jul 2008, 9:11am
544 downloads

im guessing that the above patch would transform my out of the box v 1.0 world in conflict into the super delux latest version and that at 96mb its all the fixes rolled into one?

Comments?

yes i am this stupid.

Sam25

Golden Member
Mar 29, 2008
You can head here for the World in Conflict Patch v1.000 - 1.009 (English). Yes, it'll update your game straight to v1.009. Click on the 'Show More Details' section on that page and there's a huge list of things the patch actually fixes. Btw, don't forget to check whether your running the latest sound drivers or not. :)

chizow

Diamond Member
Jun 26, 2001
Ah ya, forgot about the game patch, but ya just install the cumulative game patch which will take you from 1.00 to 1.09.

As for system drivers, Windows Update will not give you the drivers you need. Microsoft posts absolute minimum necessary requirements and critical driver fixes. For laptops, you're typically stuck with your OEM's (Laptop maker) drivers which usually lag behind the IHV's (graphics chip maker) official releases.

Try this link, choose ATI Radeon Video Card Drivers, then choose your OS:
ATI Catalyst Drivers

You'll have to do the same for your sound if you continue to have problems, but patching the game and patching your video drivers is a good start.

Sam25

Golden Member
Mar 29, 2008
Yeah, I think patching the game and upgrading the drivers (video & sound) should make the game run better.

Madaz

Feb 16, 2009
hey guys thanks for all of your help.

last night i downloaded the patch defragged installed defragged patched defragged made sure i had the latest sound and video drivers and then played watched it crash, played again watched it crash.

So then i changed the graphics settings, even though i alegedly according to that handy windows rating blow the recomended settings away. i dropped down to medium and a little box comes up telling me i have changed from dx10 to dx9 and i need to open and close it again.

i open and close and then enjoy, no more worries. this seems to be a DX10 issue. i am going to experiment a bit more with the graphics, see how good i can get them while keeping the systems stable. i have looked through a couple of other forums and i see that dx 10 is an option i can turn off, which i think i will do.

Has anyone got DX10 working properly in this game?

Another quick question, after the install i didnt get asked for the Key, why would that be? I have played the game and have not entered the key for this install. Has the key squirrelled itself away in a registry somewhere hoping id give the disc another spin in future or is there something very screwy going on?

Cheers Guys
Daz

ashishmishra

Nov 23, 2005
You are not the only one, I have also experienced DX 10 related crashes using the latest patch, DX 9 runs flawlessly, Shadow From Clouds looks awesome but if it crashes during gameplay it is useless.