World in Conflict review

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ayabe

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
I played the beta, a lot, and ended up pre-ordering.

When things go well in MP it can be really fun, but having to rely on more people than say just one in a 2v2 for instance, makes for a frustrating experience when you are dealing with idiots.

Hopefully when retail hits the quality of the players will improve, so I don't have to explain to me teammates, "No, I'm not a points whore, the objective is to WIN the game by taking said points and fortifying them!"

sthaznpride17

Jul 31, 2005
The demo is pretty fun. There is definitely a lot of teamwork involved, but I have noticed most players tend to ignore that and keep sending out as many units as they can. If you play with a group of friends it could be tons of fun.

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
Originally posted by: marmasatt
Originally posted by: Genx87
I liked the Single Player campaign included with the demo. The beta didnt have any single player capability. The story line was pretty cool and the missions well scripted.

Cant wait for this to finaly make it to retail.

Uh, this is out now, isn't it? I think I just saw it in Gamestop yesterday. I'm pretty sure it wasn't a pre-order. On a side note, if I've never played an RTS in my life, is this a good one to start on? What's the point?

Signed

Strictly FPS Guy

I've been there. I'd suggest not starting with this RTS. If you like RPGs, try a hybrid like Spellforce 2 first. I thought the Star Wars RTS would win me to the genre but I didn't like it at all. But then I plaed the LOTR: Battle for Middle Earch 2, and I loved it. I understood the basics like the guys with arrows are distance attackers, and the swords dudes are melee. Plus you're playing in the LOTR license to that added to the fun. In modern RTS everyone has distance weapons so it's more complex to plan, well, strategy. I'm still intimidated when starting up a new RTS, cuz FPS are so much easier to just jump in and play.

sheemone00

Sep 17, 2003
Blah, my old PC barely meets the minimum requirements... I'll probably pass on it since I don't like to run games at their minimum settings.

Skunkwourk

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2004
hmm, sounds like a lot of MP fun. I might pick this up if my Mobility x1400 and T2500 can handle it with med/low settings decently...

novasatori

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2003
its a good game, deserving of 9.3 imo
has good strategy and teamwork plus awesome gameplay/effects.

if only I had internet capable of supporting online play atm... :(

xyyz

Diamond Member
Sep 3, 2000
teh mac and constipated,

there is no supreme unit. every unit can be taken out very easily with a properly countered unit. this game isn't made for camping. if you're camping and spotted you'll be blasted, be it infantry, armour, or anything else. it surprised me how many kills i'd get against people sitting in one place by hitting then with various kinds of strikes. the key is to keep moving.

you guys obviously didn't play the game the way it was supposed to be played. you never venture out without proper unit support. it's unfortunate you didn't play with good teammates who played their role properly. it makes all the difference.

good players do employ strat, be it something simple like having enemy helios chase you to be ambushed by your teammate's AA units, or something more difficult like pushing and keepign opponents in a space for a carpet bombing run.

gizbug

Platinum Member
May 14, 2001
So how are users liking this game?
Are you playing more single or multi player?
How is the online community? Pretty big?

ZzZGuy

Golden Member
Nov 15, 2006
-The game rocks. No match is ever the same and if you get cocky, the other team might turn around and own your ass. You can not win the game on your own, camping is greatly encouraged.... so you don't move and ruin my perfectly placed air strike, a retarded team sucks (all support being heavy artillery is one easy way to tell), if you get cocky the other team might take advantage of a mistake and own your ass in the last 5 minutes of a match, there is 3 types of matches (domination-demo-, assault, tug of war). The game has been patched and will download the update through the game.
-Single player is.... meh. I've seen a hell of a lot worse but i've seen a hell of a lot better. One of the few times i'm happy the single player of a game was short. DO NOT get this game for single player only, it's meant to be multiplayer with a excuse of a single player.
-Large community, always more then enough people on, you can join game in progress.

gizbug

Platinum Member
May 14, 2001
Do you encourage single player prior to joining a multiplayer game? Or jump right in?

FallenHero

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2006
Originally posted by: gizbug
Do you encourage single player prior to joining a multiplayer game? Or jump right in?

Single to get the hang of the game (first 2-3 missions), but the sooner you start doing multi, the better.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Yeah, I love campers. The more they camp the more likely my airstrike is going to end them.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
You can purchase the cheapest of the units. Most games give you 6000 points to work with.
I find this is a pretty gooc combo for playing support. 2x heavy arty, 2x heavy AA.
I place my arty behind tree's and run my AA with a tank player. If we run into something in the air I dispatch them. If we run into something on the ground, I place my heavy arty and 8 seconds later it is turned into scrap metal.

Oh every once in awhile a smart arty player will find me or a heli pilot goes on an excercise to destroy arty and gets me. Well I just wait it out and get new heavies.

Although I have had fun at times with 4x medium arty. Roll with the armored column and setup on the spot.

gizbug

Platinum Member
May 14, 2001
So the maps on multiplayer are pretty big, and there is a lot of replay value online?

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
I'd estimate each map is a square mile and the replay is pretty good as there are different players playing different roles nearly every game.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
Im D/Ling the demo now. I am somewhat interested in this game. IGN reviews are way too forgiving.

imported_Duran

Mar 23, 2005
It's a great game, that should be bought for the multiplayer portion. The eyecandy and the destruction was worth the hype. Who doesn't like to nuke the Space Needle in Seattle ;) Anyways the game is great. I'm running the game on high settings on the Best buy X205 with the latest laptopvideo2go drivers :) With a decent framerate :)