workweek: 4-10's or 5-8's?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Special K

Diamond Member
Jun 18, 2000
Originally posted by: loki8481
do people really let themselves get turned into their company's bitch like that?

I mean, it's one thing if you're up against a deadline or something and I have zero problems staying late if I'm working on something critical, but if your work absolutely can't get done within normal working hour timeframes and your company refuses to hire more people to distribute the workload around, you're not a worker, you're a voluntary slave.

Originally posted by: joshsquall
Meh, work to live, not live to work. Your salary was probably based on a 40 hour work week when you started. I can understand putting in some overtime if you messed up or it's an emergency, but otherwise it's not your fault that they scheduled poorly.

My understanding was that certain salaried jobs pretty much required 60-80+ hour workweeks as the norm. Whether or not it's worth it to spend that much of your life working is another question.

imported_Imp

Diamond Member
Dec 20, 2005
Probably 4-10s.

Right now, my place allows 8-9s plus an 8, so I get one day off every other week. However, if there's shit to do, I will go in, which causes a backlog of accumulated "flex" hours; they don't pay overtime at all.

During the winter, I'll just give people the finger even if there's stuff to do.

daw123

Platinum Member
Aug 30, 2008
I'm doing 7.5hrs per day for 5 days a week. It reduced from 8hrs per day about a year ago.

I did suggest to my Director that the working week should be swapped with the weekend for the same pay. He didn't consider it. :D

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
Originally posted by: Special K

My understanding was that certain salaried jobs pretty much required 60-80+ hour workweeks as the norm. Whether or not it's worth it to spend that much of your life working is another question.

depends on the job and the company.

I have one friend with a job like that... he's an ibanker.
another goes in, does what he does in 8 hours, and resumes working on whatever he's working on the following day, unless there's a major deadline approaching and they're behind (rarely, though it does happen when they're approaching the end of the fiscal year).
personally, I go in, do what I do in my shift, and pass off any on-going issues to my coworkers when my shift is over unless it's a high profile or critical issue, in which case it's a judgment call as to whether to pass it off or stay past my shift to oversee it.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Originally posted by: Wheezer
used to work 4x10 mon-thur and LOVED it.

The only down side was during the summer working OT when 10 hr days turned into 16-18 hour days...when Friday finally rolled around half the day was spent sleeping it away.

Working construction for over 30 years, I've worked all kinds of shifts.

I LOVE a 4-10's shift, but they never last. Pretty soon, things start getting behind somewhere and "Hey, would you mind working Friday?" then, before long, it's mandatory 5-10's...and "hey, we're working on Saturday this week." and before you know it...it's mandatory 6-10's with a few 12's and 14's thrown in...PLUS, "hey, we want to work Sunday. 0600 start time." :roll:

For most of my career, 5-10's was the "normal shift,' but most of the time, it ended up being 6-10's about half the time.

I worked a lot of refinery shut-downs, and they're ALWAYS 7-12's and last from 3 to 6 months at a time. GREAT money, (about $4000/week) but since I also commuted 100 miles each way into the bay area, they take a toll on me. 6 months is all I can take of that...then I need a couple of weeks off and back to 5-10's (or 4-10's for a while.

miketheidiot

Lifer
Sep 3, 2004
Originally posted by: Special K
Originally posted by: loki8481
do people really let themselves get turned into their company's bitch like that?

I mean, it's one thing if you're up against a deadline or something and I have zero problems staying late if I'm working on something critical, but if your work absolutely can't get done within normal working hour timeframes and your company refuses to hire more people to distribute the workload around, you're not a worker, you're a voluntary slave.

Originally posted by: joshsquall
Meh, work to live, not live to work. Your salary was probably based on a 40 hour work week when you started. I can understand putting in some overtime if you messed up or it's an emergency, but otherwise it's not your fault that they scheduled poorly.

i would never work such a job

notposting

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2005
Another thing about that is you very quickly lose anything you may have gained, like OT after 8 hours...even if you go back to 5-8's at some point, good luck getting that restored.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Goosemaster
Originally posted by: sandorski
3x13.33 or 2x20 ftw!

:Q

2x20 is almost doable. As long as Work provided a Bed, Job was relatively easy/routine, Coffee flowed freely. Work 20 hours, sleep 8, work 20.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
having the 5th day off is nice.. but depending on your commute, it may/may not be worth it. i leave home at 630am and get home at 6pm, and that's for 9.5hrs (9hrs + 30 minute lunch). i'm seriously considering doing 8x5 because i'd get a bit more time in the evening.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Originally posted by: sandorski
3x13.33 or 2x20 ftw!

I was on one job in the mountains of central Idaho some 30 years ago and the contractor promised us all lots of overtime to get us to come there...then worked us 4-10's...Another contractor on the job knew we were pissed and offered to let us work 3-13's on our days off...
No overtime of course, since it was a different company...and worked less than 40 for each, but the money was still good. Put all of the 2nd check in the bank. It lasted for the short summer. (about 4 months)
When the 3-13's came to an end, most of us quit the other job and left the area.
(fuck the lying bastards!) They ended up losing the contract and another company got the job. We went back and worked 6-10's for the next year or so until it was done.

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
We did 4 - 10'x for about a month or so and the upper management became pissed because they didn't get to do it (they followed the corporate schedule) so they killed it. :roll:

It was awesome...while it lasted.

Originally posted by: Colt45
I'd do 1x 40h, if they let me. Not like I can sleep anyways.

Is that you Michael Jackson? I thought you were dead? :Q

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
4x10 would be awesome! Imagine every weekend being a 3 day weekend. I worked those hours as a student when I was in high school. Was the best summer job hours ever. I could still go camping on weekends or do other things that are nice to do in summer.

The best shift I ever did though was 12:30pm to 9:00pm when I was at help desk. Sleep in every day, and go to bed late every night. I got so much stuff done at home it was unbelievable.

oogabooga

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2003
I'd rather have 4x4 I think. :) But 4x10 would be my choice between those two.

caddlad

Golden Member
Jan 14, 2002
Originally posted by: SacrosanctFiend
Originally posted by: caddlad

As an employer...8X5. The time any task takes to complete expands to the time allotted for its completion.

A small job, or a portion of a large job, will expand to either 8 or 10 hours. I'm paying, therefore I prefer it only expand to 8.

Not a very good employer if you believe that garbage.

4 day work weeks increase productivity, decrease absenteeism, and decrease operational and overall labor costs.

Judge much? I'm sure you are a fine employer.

I worked 4X10 from 1984-1997. Been there done that, got the tshirt from the real world.

5X8 offers the service my clients want.

Terzo

Platinum Member
Dec 13, 2005
Originally posted by: SacrosanctFiend

As an employer...8X5. The time any task takes to complete expands to the time allotted for its completion.

A small job, or a portion of a large job, will expand to either 8 or 10 hours. I'm paying, therefore I prefer it only expand to 8.

Not a very good employer if you believe that garbage.

4 day work weeks increase productivity, decrease absenteeism, and decrease operational and overall labor costs.

Judge much? I'm sure your a fine employer.

I worked 4X10 from 1984-1997. Been there done that, got the tshirt from the real world.

5X8 offers the service my clients want.

Just like to say I find it funny that you highlighted your own grammatical error.

duragezic

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
I am on 9/80. So this is a four day weekend for me. :)

9/80 is decent but add a little OT, lunch and dinner, it's not hard to be at work 13 hours per day. Plus a short commute and what not and I only have a couple of hours per night free.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
Originally posted by: RedSquirrel
4x10 would be awesome! Imagine every weekend being a 3 day weekend. I worked those hours as a student when I was in high school. Was the best summer job hours ever. I could still go camping on weekends or do other things that are nice to do in summer.

The best shift I ever did though was 12:30pm to 9:00pm when I was at help desk. Sleep in every day, and go to bed late every night. I got so much stuff done at home it was unbelievable.

I worked a shift similar to that... hated it, really. I always felt like I was missing out on everything since by the time I got out of work, whatever my friends were doing would be well under way and I'd only ever make it for the tail end.