workweek: 4-10's or 5-8's?

Ferocious

Diamond Member
Feb 16, 2000
Vote!

This poll was inspired by this new TIME article I just read.

Tough choice for me, but I think I like the 4-10's idea.

melchoir

Nov 3, 2002
4x10 sounds great until everyone adopts it for 20 years and then people wonder why they have that extra day off, then BAM 5x10hr work week.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Originally posted by: Ferocious
Vote!

This poll was inspired by this new TIME article I just read.

Tough choice for me, but I think I like the 4-10's idea.

4-10's FTW.
3 day weekend.
1 day less wasted sitting in traffic

kranky

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
I would love to do 4x10 but I don't see the current 5x9.5 changing.

caddlad

Golden Member
Jan 14, 2002

As an employer...8X5. The time any task takes to complete expands to the time allotted for its completion.

A small job, or a portion of a large job, will expand to either 8 or 10 hours. I'm paying, therefore I prefer it only expand to 8.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I prefer the 4 days, 10 hours deal. I dont fuck off or deliberately slow down in those extra two hours. And regular 3 day weekends are awesome. Also, being able to do another day of overtime is cool.
When I was at Hynix I worked four 12 hour days. That sucked ass, but it was a night shift so it was even worse. I appreciated the pay, except for the fact Eugene got ridiculously expensive and I was just barely getting by.
BUT, I can understan why the boss would prefer to have me around for 5 days instead.

rbV5

Lifer
Dec 10, 2000
Originally posted by: Barack Obama
Easily 4x10.

I'm currently doing 5x10 :(

I'm doing 6X12 + 1X8 graveyard.....and then I get a week off/Repeat

JJChicken

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2007
Originally posted by: rbV5
Easily 4x10.

I wouldn't mind that to be honest. Alot can be done in that week off. I guess the inconsistency of it all might get to you after a while?

SacrosanctFiend

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
Originally posted by: caddlad

As an employer...8X5. The time any task takes to complete expands to the time allotted for its completion.

A small job, or a portion of a large job, will expand to either 8 or 10 hours. I'm paying, therefore I prefer it only expand to 8.

Not a very good employer if you believe that garbage.

4 day work weeks increase productivity, decrease absenteeism, and decrease operational and overall labor costs.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Originally posted by: caddlad

load them up with more tasks and tighter deadlines?
"since now u have 10hr days..."

or
get new employees?

Wheezer

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 1999
used to work 4x10 mon-thur and LOVED it.

The only down side was during the summer working OT when 10 hr days turned into 16-18 hour days...when Friday finally rolled around half the day was spent sleeping it away.

rbV5

Lifer
Dec 10, 2000
Originally posted by: rbV5
Easily 4x10.

I wouldn't mind that to be honest. Alot can be done in that week off. I guess the inconsistency of it all might get to you after a while?

I've been doing the same shift since '97 and yes, I love having a week off twice a month. Its the only way I could make a graveyard shift work and still be a family man. Its tough transitioning from nights to days when I'm off and being away from the wifey 1/2 the month, but we make it work. I've been able to be at home in the mornings and see the kids off to school, and be just getting up when they are back home...I have dinner at home with the fam every night.

marvdmartian

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2002
Got another one for your poll, OP. Eight 9's and an 8. New job (in an office) has me on those hours, gives me every other Friday off.

Funny thing is, old job (at same company) had me working the exact same hours, only gave me an hour off for lunch (which I just ate at work, instead of going out to get lunch), and counted it as 8 hours. Now I eat at my desk, help any occasional customer that walks in while I'm eating (usually only takes a minute or two), and they count that as working nine hours! Even better, I get off an hour earlier on the 9th day, since I've hit my 80 hours for the pay period!!

Gosh.....that's tough to deal with! ;)

Terzo

Platinum Member
Dec 13, 2005
I've worked 4x10 before, and while the three day weekends were nice, getting to the gym was somewhat difficult. Thankfully my commute was only half an hour and there was a gym close to work, so I could just go there before/after work. I reckon that any activities that are somewhat daily (boxing lessons, orchestra practice, swimming, or whatever it is you do) would prove more taxing with a 10 hour day.

Also, I don't have a wife/kids, but I see parents wanting to be around more for their kids during the week (at least when they're younger; when they're teenagers they probably wont care as much).

JJChicken

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2007
You know whats sad, the director in my team calling up his daughter at 5pm every evening and staying back till 9-10....great guy though. I'm definately happy where I am at, unfortuante that I have to move on in 2 months.

SacrosanctFiend

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
Originally posted by: marvdmartian
Got another one for your poll, OP. Eight 9's and an 8. New job (in an office) has me on those hours, gives me every other Friday off.

Funny thing is, old job (at same company) had me working the exact same hours, only gave me an hour off for lunch (which I just ate at work, instead of going out to get lunch), and counted it as 8 hours. Now I eat at my desk, help any occasional customer that walks in while I'm eating (usually only takes a minute or two), and they count that as working nine hours! Even better, I get off an hour earlier on the 9th day, since I've hit my 80 hours for the pay period!!

If you're non-exempt, they're required by law to.

Elganja

Platinum Member
May 21, 2007
i work 4-9's and 1/2 day friday's... so kind of inbetween the 4-10's and 5-8's...

Bignate603

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
Working 40 hours a week would be nice... If I need it though I can take a day off a pay period (2 weeks) without it counting as vacation time. I usually don't because I'm buried right now at work and that would just make it even worse.

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001
Originally posted by: melchoir
4x10 sounds great until everyone adopts it for 20 years and then people wonder why they have that extra day off, then BAM 5x10hr work week.

Sucks to be salaried. :p

4x10 FTW.

marvdmartian

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2002
Originally posted by: SacrosanctFiend
Originally posted by: marvdmartian

If you're non-exempt, they're required by law to.

Yeah, but my point was more to the fact that I spend no more time at work now than I used to, but get every other Friday off now. Just another advantage of white collar versus blue collar work, I guess! :thumbsup: