workstation memory

tcsenter

Lifer
Sep 7, 2001
DDR4 Registered (not buffered or fully buffered) ECC modules (DDR4-2133) 288-pin. Looks like going price is approx. $5.75 ~ $6.25 (US) per GB. Plenty options available from Newegg or other major online component sellers.

Last edited:

bizygha

Oct 24, 2013
thank-you for the info. Know if load reduced is needed for 256gb*? and if dual-rank or quad-rank?
(see mixed messages on the acceptability of LR online..)

tcsenter

Lifer
Sep 7, 2001
thank-you for the info. Know if load reduced is needed for 256gb*? and if dual-rank or quad-rank?
(see mixed messages on the acceptability of LR online..)
Looks like 32GB RDIMM is the sweet spot presently in pricing, about $5 per GB. Quad-rank DIMMs probably will reduce the total # of DIMMs supported and usually more expensive but I cannot find detailed supported memory configuration from Intel's website. They used to have this stuff publicly available but now looks like you have to be registered with Intel to get it (i.e. confidential). You could probably locate a similarly-configured motherboard from SuperMicro, ASUS, or other manufacturer, and look in their user manual/technical guides. Make sure to update to latest BIOS since there is some errata with DIMM and rank population that were resolved or 'fixed' in BIOS code.

bizygha

Oct 24, 2013
thanks, that's good because it appears desireable to use 32gb per slot for this to get to 256gb. Part of problem is there seem to be different newer/older versions of the t5810 workstation which causing confusion. I see that, on intel's website, according to the processor at least, the supportable memory is 768GB. I will be able to look at the motherboard tomorrow, which hopefully has some info printed on the chipset chips. good point about the bios. i actually thought quad-ranked modules would be cheaper for the same amount of memory.