Workstation MB ?

Jay Janarthanan

Dec 6, 2016
I need lots or Ram (Need to setup a Ramdisk to do stat analysis in real-time) . Looks like X99 based MB max out at 128GB, what are my other options. I looked at Server MB but they don't have other items I want like M.2 or multiple PCI-3 slots ?

Also any recommendation on a Ramdisk software for Windows 10 ?

Thanks

Jay

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
In "Memory and Storage," I've been a real hot-dawg about caching software.

There are probably plenty of RAM-disk programs available. Romex offers Primo RamDisk. You could look into that. Me -- I just wanted the caching program.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
I see no reason why an Asus WS board like this wouldn't work with larger than 128GB ram as long as you're using a xeon in it.

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/X99E_WSUSB_31/

I think it officially only supports up to 128GB though.

Extra lanes and PCIE slots would be nice if you want to have SLI and an additional x8 disk-controller as well.

I'm still trying to wrap my brain around it, though. What sort of statistical analysis would really NEED 128GB? I won't pretend to be anything more than clueless.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Why would you need ramdisk as opposed to more ram to do stats with big dataset?

rchunter

Feb 26, 2015
So a board like https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/X99E_WSUSB_31/specifications/ , if I have a Xenon chip, it will support more than 128 GB using say 32 GB dimms ?

More than likely.... I wouldn't be surprised if Asus bumped official support up to 256gb in the future. Just make sure you get a xeon and buy ecc memory. Preferably registered if you can. Asus has the QVL list on their website. Best to choose something off that list. X99 is finicky with ram...

EDIT----Just so you know it's not a guarantee for support over 128gb. If you want guaranteed get the supermicro board. I wish Asus would come out with something definite on what will work or not. You would probably stand better chance getting it to work with dual ranked memory, and also make sure your bios is updated to the latest, turn off XMP.

Last edited:

Atari2600

Golden Member
Nov 22, 2016
ImDisk / ImDisk Toolkit is free and allocates memory dynamically.

+1.

Use ImDisk on a few workstations.

AMD did a ramdisk as well, used it initially before discovering ImDisk - AMD's performed OK, but had a size limit on it.

Feb 25, 2011
If you want multiple x16 PCI-E 3.0 slots and m.2 (which is a very, very consumer-oriented tech), you want a gaming rig. Build a gaming rig.

If you want 512GB of RAM, buy a rackmount server with 512GB of RAM, rack it in your garage, and access it remotely from your gaming rig.

(Or go a little older for something with 256GB of RAM and 32 CPU cores.)

Computer hardware is divided up for and targeted to specific market segments. You might be able to find a particular motherboard that lets you build a one-box-to-rule-them-all does-everything rig, but it's unlikely, and it's probably not really cost-effective either.

Reactions: VirtualLarry