Workplace Chemical Problem -- Edit: Work cancelled tomorrow due to electrical failure

RbSX

Diamond Member
Jan 18, 2002
Hey guys,

I work at a manufacturing company and a few weeks ago they moved me and my assistant into our warehouse.

In the last 4 weeks there has been two chemical spills, which have made me violently ill, and for the last two days there has been the permanent smell of diesel in the back, which has led to some pretty serious headaches.

I've had to take some time off because the chemical spills have made me want to vomit profusely because of the agony associated with my headache.

This is really starting to piss me off because it's money down the drain (I'm hourly) and every hour I don't work I am obviously not making money.

Given the situation, what would you do?

Edit: Just shot off an email to my GM, not going to lie, I was kind of a smart ass about it, sometimes these headaches have gone on for days.

Edit # 2:

So I got a text from the GM today, work is closed tomorrow (monday) due to an electrical failure of the ventilation system that caused the issue last week.

I kind of want to demand a full days pay because this has been an on going problem.

Yes/No?

Last edited:

Evadman

Administrator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Feb 18, 2001
Are there any EPA regulations about it?

seepy83

Platinum Member
Nov 12, 2003
I would just talk to whoever you report to about it. If he/she doesn't do anything, talk to your Doctor and (like Evadman said) check for regulations that would require the employer to make changes/compensate you.

trmiv

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
There has got to be some kind of OSHA violation going on there.

EDIT: Oh if you're in Canada like SacrosanctFiend says, forget the OSHA comment. I'm sure there is some kind of agency that regulates stuff like this in Canadia though.

Last edited:

Miramonti

Lifer
Aug 26, 2000
Be sure to see the doctor when it makes you ill as a result of the workplace conditions.

SacrosanctFiend

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
IIRC, you're in Canada. I don't know jack about laws up there. Maybe you have some form of Work Comp you could start...

RbSX

Diamond Member
Jan 18, 2002
Can they put an exhaust fan in there?

You would think, I need to take a look at our workers compensation laws. I'm not the only one who complains of getting sick.

A lot of the other employees here just don't smell it like I do.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
If I lived in USA I would have my lawyer filing workers comp while I sat in hospital recouping.

RbSX

Diamond Member
Jan 18, 2002
If I lived in USA I would have my lawyer filing workers comp while I sat in hospital recouping.

Ingenious.

My company is not very large so there is no HR, but I will speak to the GM about it when he gets back from his work trip.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Ingenious.

My company is not very large so there is no HR, but I will speak to the GM about it when he gets back from his work trip.

:hmm:

he isn't conveniently on his trip while all these untended spills are occurring, is he?

ivan2

Diamond Member
Mar 6, 2000
www.heatware.com
happened to my office too, we told management that there's smell, after about 2 incidents we got legal involved and the building has been very nice since.

daw123

Platinum Member
Aug 30, 2008
Does your company have a designated H & S Officer? If so, report it to him/her. If not, tell your manager.

John P

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
Buy yourself a respirator with the proper filters and wear it to work until they do something about your situation.

Then, when your coworkers ask why you are wearing the respirator be sure to educate them all on the dangers they are putting themselves in breathing in all those toxins.

Management will either fire you or move you so you don't "scare" your co-workers.

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
If it happened to me, I'd start off with:
1. Notify supervisor and safety officer
2. File comp claim

moshquerade

No Lifer
Nov 1, 2001
You shouldn't have to work in those conditions. For one thing, are you looking for another job? It's obvious your boss/management doesn't give a rat's ass about working conditions.

Kev

Lifer
Dec 17, 2001
I've overheard retards complaining about the feng shui in their cubicles.

I think your complaints are more than justified.

hanoverphist

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2006
light it on fire. if that doesnt work, tell your supervisor the fumes are making you sick. every time you have to leave, go to the doc and get taken care of. make sure you tell the doc it is from the fumes at work. if your work gives you issues, whip out the docs paperwork.

why are so many people here at atot so afraid of confrontation?

D1gger

Diamond Member
Oct 3, 2004
Your employer is responsible for establishing a health and safety committee, and this type of problem should be addressed by that committee.

It is also a compensable work related incident that you and your employer are responsible to report to the Workers Compensation Board of BC.
http://www.worksafebc.com/workers/i...reporting_accidents_and_incidents/default.asp

I suggest you start with just speaking with your GM and perhaps volunteering to be on the committee and see if they will react positively to solve the problem. If not you can file a claim with WCB for a lost time incident and that will start a chain of action within the WCB that will likely result in a site inspection and a bunch of work that your employer will have to do to avoid potential penalties and orders.

RbSX

Diamond Member
Jan 18, 2002
I'm currently at home wanting to VOMIT everywhere, I'm going to shoot off an email to my GM right now.