Worklog: Project Thief - Fully Watercooled Dual PC

Page 9 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

stren

Jul 20, 2011
Alright time to swap those cpus - out with the 920:

VzW2eh.jpg

And in with the 990x:

IusH3h.jpg

Close it up:

XIqgKh.jpg

Mount the CPU block and add the g3/8 adapters - luckily the 5Noz has a very wide port spacing:

jEYbbh.jpg

Which means you can mount the high flow VL4N quick disconnects - unfortunately they are g 3/8 and don't come with right angle options, so I have to have adapters both ends and then a g1/4 female to female before I can add in the 90 degree rotary fitting:

ntHsOh.jpg

Here we are with the old GPUs mounted too:

32S5Dh.jpg

And here's how it will look as this will be the reverse ATX side:

GswCxh.jpg

Now it's time to repurpose that clown board:

CrIyeh.jpg

And done til the case comes:

PNA0Gh.jpg

stren

Jul 20, 2011
Second update of the day - sleeving came in:

m1IyZh.jpg

Always interesting to see stamps from a foreign land ;) And of course the obligatory nils drawing

VCvPJh.jpg

The results from the last survery were clear:

67dBxh.jpg

So now I made them with real sleeve (24 pin left and 8 + 6 pin right) (only one row of course) (photographed outside under cloud, the background is the pedestal back plate which is powdercoated the same color as all internal parts):

J1GNyh.jpg

IKTFhh.jpg

VEyf0h.jpg

0c2h2h.jpg

8Fum1h.jpg

stren

Jul 20, 2011
AnOqyh.jpg

YvDsBh.jpg

ZrIvsh.jpg

bXPxCh.jpg

I'm leaning towards D or F. However there's one last complication there is red or the "x" color that is basically a deep red-brown kind of color. As far as I can tell, the x looks better when next to white, the red otherwise:

khTish.jpg

Let me know what you think!

stren

Jul 20, 2011
Thanks to everyone - results are in:

piJ35.jpg

So now we can eliminate the less popular and simulate these with the motherboard tray - yes it's a walk off! Jeppzer's suggestion is now also included:

imager.php

Option C

NfxVXh.jpg

Option D

9MMYfh.jpg

Option G

bnu5sh.jpg

Option Jeppzer

lKg6mh.jpg

Let me know what you think - and please keep it to these four only!

PCTC2

Diamond Member
Feb 18, 2007
I like Jeppzer.

Also, nice build so far. Can't wait to see it finished. Makes me want to bust the old Thermochill PA 120.3 out and watercool something.

stren

Jul 20, 2011
I like Jeppzer.

Also, nice build so far. Can't wait to see it finished. Makes me want to bust the old Thermochill PA 120.3 out and watercool something.

Thanks - and you should :)

Thanks everyone for the feedback - it all helps :)

Meanwhile another diversion to clean up the odds and ends - well I got some packages to help with that:

wpvZbh.jpg

Inside a box..... is another box:

KtwTTh.jpg

And inside - the opposite of a CaseLabs case - cheap design, cheap steel, cheap manufacturing:

lV8EKh.jpg

Despite knowing how badly the edges were finished I still managed to cut myself!

C5jVzh.jpg

Mounting the old workstation board:

Yuslqh.jpg

Now let's see what's come in from the egg:

2iiy5h.jpg

The PSU for that mATX build I did (those photos were slightly out of order), another ssd (because 7 isn't enough) and a cheapo gpu for the 4u case:

YMQsDh.jpg

Passive GPU is passive, crappy sas card is crappy:

6XoAPh.jpg

stren

Jul 20, 2011
Got those straight to straight sata cables too:

P3rt8h.jpg

BTW if you haven't voted on sleeve design - please do!

Meph3961

Oct 14, 2007
I know you have some major sponsors, but just out of curiostiy ( I am wanting to build a setup like yours, with out the dual system.) What would all of this run you?

stren

Jul 20, 2011
I know you have some major sponsors, but just out of curiostiy ( I am wanting to build a setup like yours, with out the dual system.) What would all of this run you?

The whole system is somewhere in the region of 10-15K if you were to buy everything new at retail price. Probably closer to the 15K, but I'm not sure, haven't added it up.

stren

Jul 20, 2011
So Primochill came through on delivering me the replacement tube. They also sent some extras in order to sponsor the build and I guess future builds because there are multiple colors:

KoJynh.jpg

two dual gigabit cards came in for the network upgrades:

bXbcmh.jpg

Fitted one to this box:

CYyvJ.jpg

Then mounted that box in our rack in the office:

dQS3wh.jpg

Thought you might like to see our main server - it's a supermicro barebones 4u box that's capable of fitting two gulftown xeons, however we only have one hex cpu fitted right now:

bj0y5h.jpg

You can see they built a plastic shroud around the ram and cpu to force the air through the heatsinks. Anyway back to the real project. Sanded down another radiator:

Z9etuh.jpg

Masked it up:

FiKSlh.jpg

Ready to go:

Wxx8Dh.jpg

Primed:

6gxM0h.jpg

stren

Jul 20, 2011
While I've been busy working on this, my sponsors have been busy with new products. Detroit Thermo has come out with a new block called the "sniper", it's a tiny bit more restrictive but is supposed to have better temps:

IMG_1851__97689_zoom.JPG

I'm hoping to do an apples to apples comparison with the rasa/raystorm/ek hf supreme/5Noz/Sniper :)

Also Monsoon Free came out with some sexy new rotary fittings:

this_is_my_boomstick.jpg

Including a special version with optional end plugs:

Yes the other version has Light Ports that let you install several different types of plugs. An LED plug that has super bright 15 degree LED's that make your tube glow sort of like a fiber optic cable or neon tube. A temp probe plug. A shorty version of the silver bullets, and of course our standard Monsoon plug. The plugs are available in all 10 Monsoon colors. The Light Port Rotaries will sell for a buck or two more depending on where resellers price them.

Actually the LED plugs don't come in the two color form shown below, but you get the idea.

monsoon_light_port.JPG

Excited to use these, but it gives me more decisions to make as to which color to use lol.

Quick update on my project:

While I was procrastinating sleeving/custom wire harnesses for the power supply I figured I'd work on getting the radiators up and running for the gaming rig - I mounted the AP16s to the 140mm adapters:

RQZnLh.jpg

Then got ready to resolder and sleve:

GC5Xph.jpg

First time sleeving so did a pretty uneven job:

Txzmgh.jpg

Decided to move that to the back side of the radiator and now that I had my system down, did a much better job on the front side:

lNrDTh.jpg

Both sides done, but still awaitng fan headers:

j3x8uh.jpg

Mounted back in the case:

FkeXVh.jpg