working world sucks

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

zoiks

Lifer
Jan 13, 2000
Originally posted by: huberm
i have an associates degree in IT and 3yrs experience as a sys admin, as well as network+ certification. I have applied to at least 100 job postings on various sites (ie careerbuilder, monster, etc) and have only received 1 call back, from a crappy recruiter. What the heck am I doing wrong? Do I not have enough experience? Does having only an associates degree really hinder me this much?

I'll tell you the trick of how to get more responses and possibly land a good job.

Look at Craigslist or other boards for job postings that are relevant to your field. See what they are looking for and then tailor your resume to their requirements. Of course you need to be qualified and have experience in the relative field that job posting is for. The reason this works is because often there is too much junk and non-interesting material in most resumes that causes an employer to overlook a potential candidate. You need to highlight relevant and applicable strengths in your resume right up front so that it catches the eye of the person reading it.
I got my job this way and I got responses for most of the jobs I applied for.

Oh yah one more thing. Make sure that you have a great cover letter. I always put a cover letter explaining my ambitions and accomplishments. I found that this was very effective in getting a response back.