Working @ UPS: Week 1

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

AnyMal

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
<------ 5 year UPS employee

Started out as a package handler, was promoted as Supervisor in 6 months. One year and three momth later got a full time position in IT group. In 5 years I went from $8.50/hr to $50k+/yr Not bad if you ask me :D

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Cool.. I wouldn't mind getting a job at the local UPS hub @ Swan Island..

Do they do drug tests? :p

bGIveNs33

Golden Member
Jul 10, 2002
Originally posted by: Eli
Cool.. I wouldn't mind getting a job at the local UPS hub @ Swan Island.. Do they do drug tests? :p

No... they can if certain behavior is documented.

bleckywelcky

Sep 16, 2002
Not to rain on your party, or to seem like some flamer, but lol @ $14/hour at your 5th year. I would hope that someone with some minor skills going into college should be able to find a starting $10/hour job right away and then hopefully be making as close as possible to $20/hour during their fifth year at college. Sure, not everyone could maybe start with something over $10/hour, but I'm pretty sure you can leave the jobs that start lower than $10/hour for the LS&A students. Research assistants routinely start at $10/hour in the science and engineering departments, and if you get good at what you do, then you are an extremely valuable asset to whatever researcher you are working with, and they will be willing to pay top dollar (for an undergrad) for your time, help, and contributions to their research.

Otherwise, if you're having fun then keep it up. I'm sure the exercise is good, just make sure to protect your back.

Edit: Other than the benefits, if you can use them then and ultimately end up ahead of the game, then it would be well worth it.