Working full time and going to grad school

duragezic

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
I interviewed with a company and have the opportunity for a onsite visit and interviews, but there's one thing I'm kind of hesitant about. It seems the particular position that they are hiring for is a development program for new college grads. It seems a lot of the larger companies do this now, where you get rotated around to different areas every 3-9 months, for the first couple of years.

This particular development program is for three years: rotational assignments, training and seminars, and a masters degree. The company has teamed up with a nearby university and will prepay tuition, fees, and books. I believe it is simply a Masters of Science, which is kind of good IMO, since has a CompE, I don't know much at all about other engineering areas, but this program would expose me to mechanical and other engineering. Prior to the grad degree is in-house training in a project setting.

So this sounds great and all, but the catch is that you still work full-time and the in-house training (project work) followed by the grad degree is an average of 15-20 hours more per week. So if by some miracle you actually did work just 40 hours/week, you'd be looking at 55-60 hours per week, almost year around (I think you might get summers mostly off). The grad degree is optional, but the in-house training isn't, and it seems this company is most interested in me as a candidate for this program.

Appearantly they think that candidates who graduate with a high GPA in engineering and have some experience or good skills are the candidates who would be able to handle 60 hours per week or more. Well... I don't know... it seems like that'd be hell. When I was on a co-op working 8-5pm everyday, I felt like I didn't have much time everyday. And in that case, I lived < 5 minutes from home and lived with my parents meaning my mom made dinner, did laundry, etc. So in the case of this thing, it's like I'd work 8-5pm, go home to eat and crap, go back to do project work till 10pm, then come home and go to bed. Every day. Anyone do this and how did it work out for you?

Tiamat

Lifer
Nov 25, 2003
As long as you keep it to 1 core and 1 elective each semester it is doable. I had a few classmates who did this. Its hell if you try to do 2 cores at the same time.

Gibson486

Lifer
Aug 9, 2000
Originally posted by: duragezic
I interviewed with a company and have the opportunity for a onsite visit and interviews, but there's one thing I'm kind of hesitant about. It seems the particular position that they are hiring for is a development program for new college grads. It seems a lot of the larger companies do this now, where you get rotated around to different areas every 3-9 months, for the first couple of years.

This particular development program is for three years: rotational assignments, training and seminars, and a masters degree. The company has teamed up with a nearby university and will prepay tuition, fees, and books. I believe it is simply a Masters of Science, which is kind of good IMO, since has a CompE, I don't know much at all about other engineering areas, but this program would expose me to mechanical and other engineering. Prior to the grad degree is in-house training in a project setting.

So this sounds great and all, but the catch is that you still work full-time and the in-house training (project work) followed by the grad degree is an average of 15-20 hours more per week. So if by some miracle you actually did work just 40 hours/week, you'd be looking at 55-60 hours per week, almost year around (I think you might get summers mostly off). The grad degree is optional, but the in-house training isn't, and it seems this company is most interested in me as a candidate for this program.

Appearantly they think that candidates who graduate with a high GPA in engineering and have some experience or good skills are the candidates who would be able to handle 60 hours per week or more. Well... I don't know... it seems like that'd be hell. When I was on a co-op working 8-5pm everyday, I felt like I didn't have much time everyday. And in that case, I lived < 5 minutes from home and lived with my parents meaning my mom made dinner, did laundry, etc. So in the case of this thing, it's like I'd work 8-5pm, go home to eat and crap, go back to do project work till 10pm, then come home and go to bed. Every day. Anyone do this and how did it work out for you?

I would never do a position like that. They could compensate me well, but after a year, i would get sick of it and leave. if you are career minded and do not want a life, then yeah (but if I ws like that, I owul dhave chose to be a CPA).

krunchykrome

Lifer
Dec 28, 2003
Im working full time right now, and Im in graduate school. I work in audit, so the hours can be long at times. I take two classes a semester, and it's very difficult. I often feel burnt out and fatigued mentally and physically. I also have a gf who I try to see everyday. Most of the time, I feel like a walking zombie, but this is what I need to do to take my career to the next level. So, I just suck it up and move forward.

Red bull and easy mac are my best friends. I try to get all of my work done by Friday so that I can rest and relax on the weekends.

Tiamat

Lifer
Nov 25, 2003
Originally posted by: krunchykrome
Im working full time right now, and Im in graduate school. I work in audit, so the hours can be long at times. I take two classes a semester, and it's very difficult. I often feel burnt out and fatigued mentally and physically. I also have a gf who I try to see everyday. Most of the time, I feel like a walking zombie, but this is what I need to do to take my career to the next level. So, I just suck it up and move forward.

Red bull and easy mac are my best friends. I try to get all of my work done by Friday so that I can rest and relax on the weekends.

Are you taking 2 core or mixing it up? if 2 core, that is asking for trouble...

duragezic

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Yes I remember that you are in this situation krunchykrome.

Being a walking zombie, drinking red bull, and eating stanky mac all year doesn't sound one bit of fun. BTW I'd recommend just picking up some Jet Alert or similar. They had a 90 count bottle of 200mg caffeine pills for $3. I never bought much energy drinks cause the things are weak, and only like them cause some of them taste good. That and when you can buy some uppers for a couple bucks a pop that get you jacked the hell up, why would I spend $2 + change on a stupid energy drink? :D

I'm not an overachiever either.. far from it. In fact all I want is a damn 8800GTS and nothing to do so that I could play TF2 all day.

thepd7

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2005

Being a walking zombie, drinking red bull, and eating stanky mac all year doesn't sound one bit of fun. BTW I'd recommend just picking up some Jet Alert or similar. They had a 90 count bottle of 200mg caffeine pills for $3. I never bought much energy drinks cause the things are weak, and only like them cause some of them taste good. That and when you can buy some uppers for a couple bucks a pop that get you jacked the hell up, why would I spend $2 + change on a stupid energy drink? :D

I'm not an overachiever either.. far from it. In fact all I want is a damn 8800GTS and nothing to do so that I could play TF2 all day.

I would say give yourself some time to settle in at work before you do grad school, you don't want to get burnt out fast.

BTW the Program sounds great, I am starting something similar in January. I would say no grad school (yet that is).

krunchykrome

Lifer
Dec 28, 2003
Originally posted by: Tiamat

Are you taking 2 core or mixing it up? if 2 core, that is asking for trouble...

Two core classes :(

krunchykrome

Lifer
Dec 28, 2003
Originally posted by: thepd7

I would say give yourself some time to settle in at work before you do grad school, you don't want to get burnt out fast.

BTW the Program sounds great, I am starting something similar in January. I would say no grad school (yet that is).

This is good advice. I waited six months after I graduated undergrad before I started graduate school. Upon graduation, I immedietly started working full time, but I at least got to relax after work and not worry aout school for a good six months.

duragezic

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
I think if for example I got hired, I'd start in summer 2008 working, start in-house training course (project) in the fall, and so on, and wouldn't start university work on a grad degree until spring 2009 or so. But the in-house training course is still supposed to be 15-20 hours a week on top of a full-time work schedule. So it's not just the courseload involved with grad school, it's extra time time in general for grad school or the in-house training, both of which to my understanding are 15-20 hours per week extra, and last a long ass time (couple of years).

middlehead

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2004
I worked full time through my first two years of undergrad. I felt fine while I was in it, but I didn't realize how bad it was for me until it was done. I basically had classes every day from 730 to 3, work 3 to 10 four nights a week + one weekend shift that was between 10 and 12 hours.

I can't really complain because that 2 years of work covered every last penny of my education, but I don't know if I'd do it again and I couldn't really recommend it to anyone who wasn't absolutely sure they could take the strain.

rsd

Platinum Member
Dec 30, 2003
I work full-time and doing my MBA part time (averaging 6-9 credits a semester). As others said it is a lot of work and quite tiring, but you also get used to it for the most part. I find it more weird when I all of a sudden have free time and don't know what to do with myself.

Better to do things like this when you are younger, because it will only be more difficult as you are older.

krunchykrome

Lifer
Dec 28, 2003
Originally posted by: rsd
I work full-time and doing my MBA part time (averaging 6-9 credits a semester). As others said it is a lot of work and quite tiring, but you also get used to it for the most part. I find it more weird when I all of a sudden have free time and don't know what to do with myself.

Better to do things like this when you are younger, because it will only be more difficult as you are older.

Yea, when I actually have some free time...meaning no work, no school work, and no gf around, I dont know what to do with myself. I'll usually play a few hours of madden.

duragezic

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Hmm... well I think I'll call them and tell them I'm interested in coming out there (as long as they are paying for it).

The graduate degree is optional I think but if I take this position at this company and have to spend 60+ hours a week anyway, I might as well get the masters that they will pay for.

thepd7

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2005
Hmm... well I think I'll call them and tell them I'm interested in coming out there (as long as they are paying for it).

The graduate degree is optional I think but if I take this position at this company and have to spend 60+ hours a week anyway, I might as well get the masters that they will pay for.

If the grad school is optional there is no reason not to go check them out, especially if there are paying. Where is the company located and where are you right now?

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
I did it with my MBA, full time job and part time grad school.

Is it easy? Heck no.

Is it doable/possible? Yes.

If you have kids/family/wife/etc. then the equation is skewed.

tmc

Golden Member
Aug 14, 2001
I did my M.S. working full time. 3 of my friends did it with me - two of them married - and i am married too (with a kid as well).

my wife gave me excellent support, so it was all through peaceful - all of us have now finished our M.S.

make sure your know some ppl in the class, so that you can get notes in case you miss some classes.

in our case having a group of ppl from the same workplace helped a lot (for discussions, notes, etc).

i would say go for it. all the best.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

Amazing, and you still find time to nef?
my hero :heart:

RKS

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
If you want something bad enough.....

I got my JD while working full time. During that time I also got married, went on a nice honeymoon, bought a house, purchased 2 cars, changed jobs, had a child, and got a dog (I am not sure if I missed any major life event).

Now just going to work is like a vacation compared to those 4 years.

kalrith

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2005
I just graduated from grad school in August. I worked 40 hours per week and took 2-3 classes per semester. There were some really rough times in there, but I made it through, with a 3.89 GPA to boot :) I'm also married and own my house, so I've had more responsibilities than if I had been single living in an apartment or something like that.

Like RKS said, if you want it bad enough, you'll do it. It's definitely possible; you just won't have much of a life a lot of the time. For me it was worth it. I know a lot of people in their 30s and 40s who talk about going back and getting their master's, but it seems very unlikely that they will. I'm 26 and am very glad to be completely done with school.