Workin' from home?

fustercluck

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2002
I've decided to gain 63 pounds so I can go on disability and work from home. Oh, no, that was an episode of the Simpsons.

I am looking for some work from home type stuff though. I'm mostly home bound anyhow since I can't drive, and I feel like shitezky most of the time. Not that anyone would hire me anyways.

But, it seems 99.9% of the work from home things out there are BS in one way or another. I'm looking for a 'real' job I can do from my home computer. I hate talking on phones so I don't want to do that. It seems like there are a lot of services I could provide with just my computer/high speed internet. Anything out there worth checking out?

Skyclad1uhm1

Lifer
Aug 10, 2001
Professional spammer/hacker? :D

Depends a bit on the qualifications and how good you are. A good programmer might be able to work from home for example. You would be able to work as freelance programmer for small companies from home, but then you'd have to visit (potential) customers once in a while too.

Mxylplyx

Diamond Member
Mar 21, 2007
Are you really disabled??

If not...Why cant you drive?

Your not the dude around here with the "I'm going to make a million bucks in a year somehow" internet blog are you?

jandrews

Golden Member
Aug 3, 2007
lol, I dont really think so most work from home stuff would require you to go somewhere and get a job then work from home such as some DBA and programming things. Also, you hate talking on the phone which eliminates all customer service just about. So you want a job where you dont have to talk to anyone and just interact through emails, not going to happen.

dman

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 1999
Gambling, ie, day trader or online poker, etc.

I can't think of any serious WFH type jobs that don't involve talking on the phone in some regular capacity.

Lamont Burns

Platinum Member
Dec 13, 2002
I work in the insurance industry and mainly work on group benefits, which includes some math/drafting etc., and work 3 out of 5 days at home.... but I had to put in 4 years to get that opportunity.

fustercluck

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2002
Originally posted by: S Freud
Ebay

A lot of people suggest ebay but I don't have anything to sell and I don't have any money to buy anything :p

Online poker sounds fun but I'm really weary of playing with real money online against a bunch of people who could be in the same room and are all plotting against me. Also, you need money to gamble.

I don't have to do 100% of the job from home, I can visit...places now and then.

Felisity

Sep 1, 2002
Originally posted by: S Freud
Ebay

Seconded.

Many people hold estate sales, garage/yard sales every weekend. Check your local paper classifieds and craigslist.org for listings. Typically they tend to start on Fridays and go thru Sat/Sun. Before I worked freelance, I used ebay to supplement my primary employment. I use to hit up these sales every week and sell vintage-antique items on ebay. It's very easy to do and requires minimum investment to get going. Once you've turned over a few items you have funds to purchase more each week. You can research vintage/antique brands-items online and by watching shows like Antiques Road Show (airs on PBS channels).

Ebay has tons of tutorial type pages that will give you the ins and outs of selling, including how to set up your own store.

Good luck, HTH. -Lisa

fustercluck

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2002
Ebay's not really a work from home job. You have to get up at the crack of dawn at least a few times a week and go hunt down good yard sale 'deals' all day. Plus shipping out things. It doesn't help if you don't know what stuff is worth either. And again, you have to have money to buy things in the first place. Ebay's defintely a good choice, I'm just saying it's not really a work from home type job.

intogamer

Lifer
Dec 5, 2004
ebay is the way to go unless you can create a website or something. Shipping isn't that bad, just slap a prepaid label and have them pick up or drop off. Pick up will probably be a more worthwhile option as you'll be at home.

If you know where to look and look everyday it shouldn't be hard.

mooglemania85

Diamond Member
May 3, 2007
Originally posted by: ropeadope
I've decided to gain 63 pounds so I can go on disability and work from home. Oh, no, that was an episode of the Simpsons.

I am looking for some work from home type stuff though. I'm mostly home bound anyhow since I can't drive, and I feel like shitezky most of the time. Not that anyone would hire me anyways.

But, it seems 99.9% of the work from home things out there are BS in one way or another. I'm looking for a 'real' job I can do from my home computer. I hate talking on phones so I don't want to do that. It seems like there are a lot of services I could provide with just my computer/high speed internet. Anything out there worth checking out?

You already have a webcam? ;)

fustercluck

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2002
That's ok, Rossman. Someone should give you 2 gb of PM space as you are helping others 90% of the time ;)

It seems like Data Entry could be honest work but either I get a reply requesting some "Money for the information kit" or I don't get a reply at all. So it seems like most of those jobs are BS as well. Seems to be nothing but BS jobs on Craigslist/Hotjobs/Careerbuilder :(

Dunbar

Platinum Member
Feb 19, 2001
So basically you don't like interacting with people in person, don't like talking on the phone and want a job that caters to your mood? I hate to say it but such a job is very hard to find. Most jobs that allow you to "work at home" only do so part of the time. You still have to show up somewhere at least a couple days a week. My advice would be to get a real job, it ain't as bad as you think.

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
Originally posted by: ropeadope
That's ok, Rossman. Someone should give you 2 gb of PM space as you are helping others 90% of the time ;)

It seems like Data Entry could be honest work but either I get a reply requesting some "Money for the information kit" or I don't get a reply at all. So it seems like most of those jobs are BS as well. Seems to be nothing but BS jobs on Craigslist/Hotjobs/Careerbuilder :(

I would prefer AT bring back the Subscriber service with 10,000 or unlimited PM's for $50/yr :thumbsup:

Unfortunately 92% of the "work from home" offers entail paying $14.95 to $49.95 for the information. The trick is finding that elusive 8% where you don't have to shell out $20.