News Workers file OSHA complaints at Fab 42 (Chandler, AZ)

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000

Guess you can't stay in the clean rooms all day. I wonder how conditions there compare to GF, TSMC, and Samsung facilities?

I'm definitely interested in knowing what conditions are like at Malta.

ao_ika_red

Golden Member
Aug 11, 2016
I watched it yesterday and my first reaction was "I can't believe it's Intel". This chip shortage must be really problematic.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005

Guess you can't stay in the clean rooms all day. I wonder how conditions there compare to GF, TSMC, and Samsung facilities?

I found this telling from the article.

"As far as Intel is aware, there has been no transmission of the virus at a company facility."

I wonder what the reality is.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
I found this telling from the article.

"As far as Intel is aware, there has been no transmission of the virus at a company facility."

I wonder what the reality is.

Hard to say! Testing is still not common at the corporate level. You would think that, by now, that would be the least expensive and problematic way to keep your workforce . . . working.

Reactions: moinmoin

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
Hard to say! Testing is still not common at the corporate level. You would think that, by now, that would be the least expensive and problematic way to keep your workforce . . . working.

We have been back at work for the last two weeks wearing facemask and nitrile gloves (required). We had one confirmed case of Covid at the plant and that was well over a month ago.

chrisjames61

Dec 31, 2013

I work in a ISO 4 clean room. I'll tell you. It sucks and it has nothing to do with Covid-19 lol!

• Wow
Reactions: lightmanek

ao_ika_red

Golden Member
Aug 11, 2016
Isn't Fab42 their lead 7nm fab? Meaning it wouldn't be contributing to that production (and was planned to not until next year)?
From Intel's news release back in 2017.
In Fab 42, we will be using what we call our “white space.” White space is a clean room area that is already built but does not have any equipment installed. The equipment is generally the most expensive part of building out a fab, and completing Fab 42 represents a large investment from both a capital and a people perspective. It also means the Arizona site will ultimately manufacture 22 nm, 14 nm and our future 7 nm products. It will be a busy place, producing many of our IA microprocessors and supporting IA chips for many years to come.
Screenshot_2020-05-10 Fab 42 Our Recent Announcement Intel Newsroom.png
Well, it's about 3 years old news so a lot things probably has changed since then.

Mar 11, 2004
From Intel's news release back in 2017.

Well, it's about 3 years old news so a lot things probably has changed since then.

That actually spells it out pretty clearly, Fab 42 is 7nm. It is just part of the site though, which has also been producing 22 and 14 nm stuff. Fab 42 had been planned there for some time but when the PC market took a downturn like a decade back they delayed it multiple times because they didn't need the capacity (wonder how they feel about that now).

Doug S

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2020
Every place that puts a lot of people in close contact, whether it is a chip factory, nursing home, a meat packing plant, Amazon fulfillment facility, or a prison, is a hotbed for infection. Those that haven't seen a lot of infection yet simply haven't tested yet because they don't want to get people riled up by making them aware of it. The idea that hundreds and in some cases thousands of employees at meat packing plants are all "getting it at home" is ludicrous - why aren't people who work at grocery stores or Walmart getting infected at anywhere remotely close to the same rates as people in these dense workplaces?

Even if the guys on the fab floor are wearing the "bunny suits" which would presumably protect them better than about anyone they still have to change into/out of them somewhere where they will be near others doing the same, have cafeterias where they come into contact with a lot of people, and the entrance/exit process which might be a roadblock if they do a lot of security checks to insure people aren't smuggling secrets out or whatever.

If the government was on the ball they'd require all nursing homes, prisons, and any factory like facility where hundreds or thousands of people are in close contact daily to test everyone and publicly report their numbers. You can't make accurate decisions without accurate and current data.

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
If the government was on the ball they'd require all nursing homes, prisons, and any factory like facility where hundreds or thousands of people are in close contact daily to test everyone and publicly report their numbers. You can't make accurate decisions without accurate and current data.

Example: https://abc7chicago.com/coronavirus-illinois-reopen-covid-19-test/6161490/

From the rules of the CPU forum.
"
Do not just drop links without comment. People need to know what are in the links before deciding whether to click on it.
It is your job as a poster to comment on it.
"

esquared
Anandtech Forum Director

Last edited by a moderator: